Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 3.5 months old puppy Mika as ringworms. She has been prescribed/treated with Imaverol and Conofite for more than 20 days now.

Of course my old boy Viko as some on his legs now:mad:

My old girls seems ok for now.

The wife got it to:mad:

The vet is reluctant to prescribe oral meds because of the danger?

Is it really dangerous, this whole ordeal is pretty hard on my nerves and I would like for it to just disapear....

What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,037 Posts
I havent heard of any dangers of antifungal meds, but I havent had a dog with ringworm in a very long time. I have had trouble with it for the last couple of summers. I use chlorine bleach on the spots to kill it. Diluting 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water would be much better for a dog, dont put on full strength as dogs have sensitive skin. When I was a kid, my Boston Terrier got it and her vet said to paint it w/iodine. That worked for her. Now the meth people have made them change iodine here so it cant be used in meth manufacturing, but maybe you can still get the old kind there. Ask your vet if he knows any old fashioned remedies. Everyone wants new medicines/prescriptions now, when the old methods work and you usually had the cure already around the hourse. Maybe Betadine would work, ask your vet. I dont know how much area you have to cover. I used the chlorine solution this summer as a rinse after Parkers medicated bath toprevent yeast/fungus as he had a bad allergy summer. I would use either for 6/8 wks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
alls i will suggest is diatomaceous earth. You can google the results and my boys have not been on prescribed meds since.. even helped with our flea prob. And of coarse where you have fleas you have worms..i can send you some links if you are interested. since i started using it my boys coat and food, they have been shinier and there poo has been solid and NO FLEAS or even spiders in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
BE SURE IF YOU USE diatomaceous earth that it is FOOD GRADE ONLY Sorry but i forgot to mention that earlier. There are 2 different kinds of diatomaceous earth. One is for water treatment (NOT the one you want) the other is food grade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Helpful And useful Information for those who want it

LINKS Below

Kill Bed Bugs Safely with Diatomaceous Earth from Dirt Works
Dog Tip: Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes - Prevention and Treatment
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just some useful information




<<<diatomaceous earth>>>
Effective results but not limited to:

· Natural wormer - eliminates many parasites without chemicals
· Safe, non-toxic, parasites don't build immunity as they do with traditional wormers
· 15 trace minerals - great for animals, humans, plants, and soil
· No feed withdrawal for milk or feed animals
· Decreased mastitis
· Reduced scours
· Decreased mortality
· Better feed conversion
· Helps detox heavy metals, ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc.
· Promotes shinier coats
· Digestive aid
· Colon cleanser
· Better production
· Better overall health
· Eliminates pests in stored grains
· Reduces flies, fleas, ticks, etc.
· Reduces manure odor
· Drying agent
· Reduces moisture and pests in barns, coops, kennel, litterboxes, compost piles, and other moist areas
· Antifungal properties - good for garden fungal growth
· Reduces overall animal stress
· Cost effective
· DE health benefits mean reduction in vet bills and dis-ease
DE is EPA-approved against indoor and outdoor crawling insects. DE is USDA-approved as an anti-caking agent for animal feed. DE is FDA-approved for internal and external use and has a rating of Food Chemical Codex Grade.
Daily recommended food grade DE feeding rates:
Kittens - 1/2 teaspoon
Cats - 1 teaspoon
Puppies - 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Dogs under 35 lbs. - 1 teaspoon
Dogs over 35 lbs. - 1 tablespoon
Dogs over 100 lbs. - 2 tablespoons
Cattle, Dairy Cows, & Hogs - 2% of dry feed ration
Chickens - 5% in feed
Goats & Sheep - 2% in grain
Horses - 1/2 to 1 cup in daily ration
*Humans - 1 heaping tablespoon daily
(Feeding too small a dose of DE will not give desired results. Increasing the dose, even if greater than the above recommendations, will not harm anyone)
Internal feeding of food grade DE helps eliminate most internal worms, though possibly not all. It's also excellent when fed daily to keep down fly loads, since food grade DE is eliminated from the body, exactly the way it went in, it helps reduce the manure odor and kills flies that come in contact with it. Mix in animal feed or grain and/or feed free choice.
If fecal counts are not zero for worms and ova after feeding DE for 30 days, increase the daily dose. Feeding too small a dose of DE will not give desired results. Increasing the dose, even if greater than the above recommendations, will not harm anyone.
Some horses do fine on 1/2 cup of DE daily, others need a full cup. This reminds us, that all beings are different. So again, if the worm and ova counts are not zero, increase your daily dose.
*Some recommend to dose humans by mixing food grade DE in a glass of water before bed or first thing in the morning, well before breakfast, to allow diatomaceous earth time to move through and absorb toxins from one's digestive tract without interfering or absorbing nutrients from foods or liquids. Some report great results consuming 1 tsp. in a glass of water prior to each meal, 3x/day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,632 Posts
Ringworm is a huge pain in the arse, been there done that!!! You can use over the counter meds too, like Monistat or any anti fungal cream you can also bath your pup in nizoral shampoo which will also help. The biggest thing is the fungus can live on blankets, dog beds etc.... so anything she has touched needs to be washed in HOT water with a touch of bleach. If you can keep your pup in one area until she is fully healed... It shouldn't take too long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,037 Posts
Thanks MIA, I forgot about the bedding. The reason I didnt suggest any of the antifungal creams, like athletes foot cream, etc., is I wasnt sure if they could be harmful if licked. Also, I have learned, with my hands, you cant stop treatment too soon or it comes right back. OP, there is a tar based human shampoo, you could check it and see if it is recommended for ringworm. If it is, I would bath the dogs in it every 3/4 days and rinse off with the bleach rinse. Dont rinse off the bleach rinse, only pat dry and dont rub off skin when drying. You could use hair dryer, but be careful not to burn your dogs. Use low setting. Then I would spot apply the bleach rinse every day. The full body rinse should prevent any new ringworw places. You might try googling Karen Becker, DVM for her site and enter "ringworm cure" into the search. She is a holistic vet and will have something on a natural ringworm cure. I love her site and would provide the link, but am on phone and cant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
My vet thought Joe got ringworm from digging for moles. He would not prescribe an oral med but he did have me use Lamisil twice per day. That worked amazingly fast. If you try it, do not get a generic cream buy the Lamisil.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dandrrman

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies,

Mika is on oral meds now,big decrease in fungus but one new wound ansd since she is spreading it to everybody except me in the house she needs to be helped. she has touched everyting in the house, :screama:

Viko will be treated with 2 kinds of cream, he licked the wound so much that we could barely see the glow from the blacklight, we could see some. He is older and has a stronger immune system so all should be good:rolleyesww:

I have some shampoo for everyone 2 a week:(

very expensive stuff to say the least...

I will keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,632 Posts
Keep at it and on top of things, I wore gloves when I treated a rescue I had and kept her in a separate room, I think on objects like floors, plastic, walls it won't live as long but blankets, bedding, shirts etc it lives longer. Tea tree oil is good as well, forgot about tea tree oil!!!! That's a great one for laundry etc. Also don't walk around in your home barefoot.... Vacuum and clean daily, it lives on the hair your dog sheds, that's why I recommended keeping her in a separate area. If you are neurotic about it all you could have it gone in a few weeks. Now that it's passed to your wife, don't share towels, wash your bed sheets daily and snuggling is out....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,037 Posts
Correction!!!

Been trying to post this correction for several days now. I was discussing this thread when it hit me that my bleach solution was too strong. The 1 cup to 1 gallon of water is for acv, betadine and a couple of other rinses. You should only use 1/8 cup to a gallon or two of water. Been a couple of yrs since I used it so I am uncertain about dosage. I can say if the mix feels slick, it needs more water. It doesnt take much bleach at all, so do be careful and make sure mix isnt too strong. The mix shouldnt smell strongly of chlorine bleach or feel slick.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top