Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trinity has had dandruff for awhile and i have been tring to clear it up but nothing has seemed to work. I bought some medicated shampoo that is made for dandruff but its not working. Does anyone know of anything I can maybe put in her food or give her a bath with that might clear it up?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Prettydobie, how does Trinity's coat feel? Is it dry as well, or is this more like a skin condition? I wonder if she needs some olive oil in her kibble. I give Jeddah a can of sardines in oil mixed in with her dry food about once a week.

Just recently through winter, Jeddah was getting dry patches on her ears....no where else on the body. I use Sorbolene has a handcream for myself, so I rubbed a little into her ears and they now look great. Sorry I can't be of much help, hopefully someone on the forum has experienced this before. Otherwise it might be a trip to the vet. Good luck with Trinity.:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
As long as there isn't an underlying health problem, a good diet should do the trick. Adding fish oil capsules to her diet can help as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with the fish oil . my vet carries a oil that is mixed with different kinds of oil that is good for dogs. but sometimes i just use capsules. with winter coming and the heat coming on it could get worse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the fish oil. My three get it every day, and I do have them on a good kibble; not corn, soy or wheat. Also, I do not bath the dogs unless they get into something really stinky; however, they do get a good brushing 3-4 times a week with a spray down with coat conditioner. The brushing will help stimulate the natural oils in their skin. They do get more flaky in the Winter with the heat as do I.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I use the Nova Pearls shampoo (made by Tomlyn) that contains Sulfur and Salicylic Acid (available from UPCO at 1-800-254-8726 . I also use "Miracle Coat Pet Lusterizer/Conditioner Spray" (also available from UPCO

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
frznbuns said:
I use the Nova Pearls shampoo (made by Tomlyn) that contains Sulfur and Salicylic Acid (available from UPCO at 1-800-254-8726 . I also use "Miracle Coat Pet Lusterizer/Conditioner Spray" (also available from UPCO
Sorry I posted too quick...Here is the rest of what I was trying to post..
Between shampoos, I sometimes use a 10% solution of Listerine (two ounces Listerine to 18 ounces water). The solution is sprayed on liberally and wiped off with a clean terry cloth towel. If you try this, be careful around the eyes and nose! I Always put shampoo in my hand first then on the dog. And I never scrub too far down into the skin.. After a conversation with my veterinary dermatologist,about Iris bad coat, he said that a 75 to 80 pound blue Doberman should get enough fish body oils to provide up to 1.5 grams of EPA daily. (This dosage can be adjusted for body weight.)
Here are some of the vitamins that my dogs get each day..fish oil, vitamin e, b-50, c, zinc, brewers yeast, flax seed oil, yogurt, lecithen,
I know that it seems like a lot but for me and the dogs,Boy has it worked. Iris came to us with a balding thin coat. and now barely 3 months later, it is thick and shiny.. I am so happy with her coat now, my vet is really impressed how great she looks.. I was going to up load a photo of her but it keeps saying upload failed??

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have talked to my vet about it and she said that they have been getting alot of calls about dandruff because of the big weather changes we have been having. They said fish oil too but trinity won't eat it. She doesn't like anything with fish. Then I decided to ask ya'll. LOL

Here are the key ingredients in the dandruff shampoo I use.
Cleansin agents (sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate), conditioner (cocamide diethanolamine), dead skin remover (salicylic acid) and antibacterial agents (4-chloro-3, 5-xylenol).

Here are the directions:
1. Shake well before using.
2. Wet coat with warm water.
3. Pour shampoo along pet's back.
4. Work Shampoo into coat. Add more if needed.
5. Rinse.
6. Shampoo again and LEAVE LATHER ON FOR 10 MINUTES.
7. Rinse until water is suds free.

My main problem with this problem is that I can't give trinity a flea bath because it drys out her skin and if I give her a bath with the flea shampoo and then the dandruff shampoo. The dandruff shampoo i think knocks out the flea shampoo. I did this once and haven't done it again since.

Trinitys coat is corse in some places and I brush her just about everyday but it seems like the brushing is making it worse. I'm going to see if I can get a softer brush for her. I think that might be one porblem.

Also this isn't a skin condition i have already had her tested this year for that. They scraped her skin and then tested it because I had my cat brought in about 3 months before I had trinity tested because my cat was going bald and I found out that my cat is allerging to fleas and I was afraid that was the same problem but it wasn't. I'm kind of glad because my cat gets a cortozone shot every year for her flea allergy. Plus cortozone shots aren't cheap. LOL

Another question does anyone know if there is a pet shampoo that is out that treats dandruff and fleas? Also I'm thinking of switching trinity shampoo to a different brand. Right now the one that i use that i put the directions and every up above about are from a fresh 'n clean. I don't know muc habout shampoo for dogs. I use to take trinity to a groomer to get her groomed but i stopped because it would always take so long because she is afriad of the driers that groomers use.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALso I forgot to asking this in my above post but one of my friend said something about oatmeal bath. I never heard of this has anyone else?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about this up i forgot to update ya'll on trinitys eating. She has started to eat because i switched her to small bites because the vet said that might help because she has sensitive teeth. After I heard that it made since because the pieces that trinity wasn't eating were the hard pieces. LOL
Ok I'll stop posting till someone else responds LOL

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If she has fleas use Frontline from the vet. You don't want to be bathing her too much. Shampoos aren't really a cure for dry skin. That has to come from the inside out. In September I start Cole on the fish oil pills. All you have to do is shove one down her thoat once a day. She won't even taste it
ETA why does she have sensitive teeth?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL I never thought to just force them down her throat. Should I do the capsules or just the fish oil that not in the capsules?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Prettydobie said:
I have talked to my vet about it and she said that they have been getting alot of calls about dandruff because of the big weather changes we have been having. They said fish oil too but trinity won't eat it. She doesn't like anything with fish. Then I decided to ask ya'll. LOL

Here are the key ingredients in the dandruff shampoo I use.
Cleansin agents (sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate), conditioner (cocamide diethanolamine), dead skin remover (salicylic acid) and antibacterial agents (4-chloro-3, 5-xylenol).

My main problem with this problem is that I can't give trinity a flea bath because it drys out her skin and if I give her a bath with the flea shampoo and then the dandruff shampoo. The dandruff shampoo i think knocks out the flea shampoo. I did this once and haven't done it again since.

Another question does anyone know if there is a pet shampoo that is out that treats dandruff and fleas? Also I'm thinking of switching trinity shampoo to a different brand. Right now the one that i use that i put the directions and every up above about are from a fresh 'n clean. I don't know muc habout shampoo for dogs. I use to take trinity to a groomer to get her groomed but i stopped because it would always take so long because she is afriad of the driers that groomers use.
Just a little info on shampoos in general, honestly all shampoos rid the dog of fleas if you give your bath correctly, however temperarily the effects are. When you shampoo, always lather all the way around the neck near the face, the fleas will make a run for the "highest ground" so to speak. That keeps them off the face. Fleas shampoos will deter fleas after the bath but only for a few hours. Perhaps a day at most. Then the fleas that have safe harbor in your house or your yard hop right back on again. If you are looking for a flea killer/deterrent, you're better to go with what your vet recommends be it frontline, advantage, advantix, etc.

Now if you use a product like advantage that works in your dog's oil glands, don't use a degreasing cleanser (like dish soap or something).

Shampoos aren't a cure for dry skin. Dobermans are notorious for dandruff, I went through it with Lexus also. Generally speaking it is the diet that needs to be examined rather then the cleansing. Once I changed Lexus's diet to the chicken soup, her dandruff got 10x better. Since I've changed it again, it has went completely away.

BTW- What was the reason that you vet gave you for why Trinity has sensitive teeth?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She said it might have been because when she was a puppy I gave her alot of raw hide bones to chew on. She said sometime when you do this while a puppy is still growing it can sometimes make there teeth sensitive later on in life.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Prettydobie,
A couple of the ingredients you listed for the shampoo, lauryl & laureth sulfate, are very drying on the hair & scalp. Something I stay away from even for human hair.
Also, if she won't eat the fish oil have you tried flax oil? It doesn't have the strong fish taste/odor & my dogs love it. Price for the human kind is the same as the one they have for dogs and it is in the refrigerated section of the health food store - brand I use is Barlean's - very fresh, its even dated. Keep us posted on her progress!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be going out in about a week when i get paid again to get one of the types of pills for trinity. doberlover does the flax oil come in a jar or box?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts