Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is James. I have recently rescued a red/rust Doberman. When I got her is was 10 months old. I took her to the vets the next day. The vet said she was underweight, worms, hair loss from a poor diet, dandruff, and some other little things. The person I rescued her from said she was fix and up to date on her shots. I checked into it and found out she was up to date with her shot but WAS NOT fixed. She is now putting on some weight and is looking better every day but I still can not get rid of the dandruff. I want to try some home remedies before I return to the vets for another check up. Some ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Salmon oil! :)

Go to any pet store and you'll find it. I suggest the pills (caps) so your pup's breath don't smell fishy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
go to Walmart and get the humankind gelcapsules Fishoil, Flachseedoil and Borageoil ( its a combination), give her one capsules for each 20 lbs of her weight and that should take care of that problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He have a problem with dogs getting sick around here because of the salmon run. I wasn’t sure if fish oil would make her sick as well

·
Registered
604 Posts
One of the reasons a dog develops dandruff can be stress too. Some dogs when they get in a stress situation they will develop dandruff immediatly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chanel gets dandruff too, usually in the winter. We have DRY winters in arizona. I switched her to a dog food with omega's in it and make sure i condition her with something that has oatmeal in it and shampoo with tea tree oil. It seams to help alot but its trial and error. Ill pick one shampoo and conditioner combo and change it up until i find a combo that helps the most.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome from Virginia, CSA. As previously mentioned the dry skin problem can be the result of stress or dry, cold weather. Also, of course, the terrible diet she was on before being rescued,

My suggestions: !] Your forever home is helping releve the stress so that is covered. 2] A top quality food to build her up. 3] Wild salmon oil supplement 4] A 'live' food supplement to fill in the gaps.

I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here in western Washington its not dry we get a lot of rain. Right now I am feeding her a good dry food with a raw diet. With the raw diet I was thinking she might get the right oils her skin need the natural way.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I feed a completely raw diet, and still provide a salmon oil supplement. I use Grizzly Salmon Oil.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
He have a problem with dogs getting sick around here because of the salmon run. I wasn’t sure if fish oil would make her sick as well
thats why you should get the human kind its very good and much cheaper then the one you buy at the pet store. if you buy in the bottle you really need be acrefull that it don't gets bad/ ranzig. that never will happens with the capsules.
what food do you feed her right now ???

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I live in Oregon and in spite of the rain, due to the low temps the air is actually quite dry. And since it is a dobe and lives inside with you, the house heating also dries out the air.

I use Costco Fish Oil. I use 1000mg/20lb unless there is arthiritis or immune issues in which case I use 1000mg/10lb bodyweight daily. My youngest bitch had an issue with her back and hips during the week that practically immobilized her so I doubled her dose of Fishoil during this time of healing (she is getting adjustments and cold laser and is running around now like a puppy).

I feed a predominantly raw diet - they get Costco biscuits for breakfast followed by 1/2 cup live yogurt (home-made) with 1-2 raw eggs (my own organic eggs). The evening meal is an RMB - chicken, lamb, beef, veal, pork, emu are my main raw food sources. I have started removing the legs and wings from chickens and cut the remainder into 4 for the dogs. The legs and wings get ground up with the bones. Alternatively, if we didn't have a grinder, I would have taken a heavy hammer to them and smashed the bones before bagging and freezing. I also feed the raw food soft frozen (defrosted in the fridge overnight but still frozen when fed). This slows them down and helps inhibit bacterial growth of the food when defrosting.

The yogurt and raw egg have been the only change to Daria's diet and she had pretty bad dandruff when I started this - took about 3 weeks to settle down. The others have no dandruff issues.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Hi my name is James. I have recently rescued a red/rust Doberman. When I got her is was 10 months old. I took her to the vets the next day. The vet said she was underweight, worms, hair loss from a poor diet, dandruff, and some other little things. The person I rescued her from said she was fix and up to date on her shots. I checked into it and found out she was up to date with her shot but WAS NOT fixed. She is now putting on some weight and is looking better every day but I still can not get rid of the dandruff. I want to try some home remedies before I return to the vets for another check up. Some ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
BTW, you didn't get her from a dobe rescue or she would have been fixed. You have really rehomed her. Did you pay for her? There is somewhat of a difference between giving a dog a better home and the rescue groups who take in dogs that have been found on the streets or in shelters or have been turned into them (owners that just walk away from their dogs).

I have rehomed quite a few dobes - i.e. taken them over from people who advertised they wanted to be rid of them. I have also gotten dogs from rescues here in the NW and in other countries.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
The fish oil gel caps ,do u puncture them to get the liquid out ,or do u feed them whold with their food ?
I feed them to the dogs like candy. I give them to them one at a time as a reward and they get excited when the bottle comes out. They crack each one and swallow it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I did not get her from a rescue group. So it would be more of a rehoming. With the situation she was in I felt it to be more of a rescue then just a rehoming (in my mind). I also did not pay for her. Do you know if elk, deer and bear would be ok for her?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Look into adding Green tripe to her meals.

Lots of fresh air, exercise, rolling in the grass etc. and a good rub down every other day would help bring up the natural oils to her skin!

AS said already, stress is a major cause of flaking skin.

Also, when mine start a coat shed they do shed skin as well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hans had some flaky skin in the middle of winter, I just added a cap full of vegetable oil to his dry food once a day it definitely helped. However, I am sure fish oil would be a better choice, as others have suggested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts