Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site and as a new dobe puppy owner I have found it so very helpful :)
First a little background..last week we adopted a male black/tan doberman puppy from the a humane society, they estimate he is about 9 weeks old.
We are currently working on a few possible bigger issues, but we also have a few questions on small stuff

1.Bad Dandruff..
We think he was badly infected with fleas when he got left at the pound, because he had a dose of flea meds on him, but still had pretty bad flees and a few bumps/scars on his face. That could be a cause for the Dander?
We got him the best food we could find (large breed puppy Diamond brand) and are working through diarrhea so are reluctant to add much of anything to his food while hes getting settled. (He was forced to 100% switch to new food point blank and is sure to be stressed from the move)
The vet also said his coat seems "dull," but he sure looks pretty to us :)

2. Very "doggy" smell. For such a little guy he makes any room he is hanging out in smell like five dogs have been in there all day. We have bathed him once, but that didnt really seem to help. He also has really bad gas, but I know that is pretty normal.

Do either of these sound like a sign of anything worse?
( we are taking a stool sample in on Monday for testing)

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Coming from the pound is really stressfull. They don't get proper nutrition, they are scared... all that can contribute to poor coat.

Honestly, because he is so new, I would just continue to feed a good quality food without doing anything drastic right now. If the vet gives him a clear bill of health I would wonder if he doesn't get a better coat in a few weeks.

As for the smell, maybe he is harboring a little too much yeast? Again, if a clean bill of health from the vet (i.e. rule out yeast infection), then I would wonder if he doesn't smell better once his better coat comes in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also keep Baby oil handy in my arsenal of Shampoos/conditioners. I use a really soft paper towel and put a bit of Baby oil on it and rub my girl all over. It keeps her hair a bit softer, but more importantly, it smells great and helps reduce some dandruff.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Excess gas is not normal. Try giving him a teaspoon of plain GREEK yogurt with his morning meal. Dont give fruit in or flavored kinds as they dont need the sugar and the greek has more probiotics, five, than regular yogurt, two, like grocery store brands or name brands. If his gas still doesnt clear up in a week or two of giving yogurt, you are probably looking at the food not agreeing with him and need to change. People joke about bad dober gas, but it is not normal. A small amount is, but not excessive amounts. I always advise to get smaller bags so you dont get stuck with opened 25 or 30 pound bags your dog or puppy cant eat. Try donating to your humane society if that ever happens. One more thing, once dog food is opened and exposed to air the vitamins begin to deteriorate and lose potency. You want to buy a bag your pup can finish in two, three or, lastly, four weeks. Vitamins are pretty well gone after that.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I always advise to get smaller bags so you dont get stuck with opened 25 or 30 pound bags your dog or puppy cant eat. Try donating to your humane society if that ever happens. One more thing, once dog food is opened and exposed to air the vitamins begin to deteriorate and lose potency. You want to buy a bag your pup can finish in two, three or, lastly, four weeks. Vitamins are pretty well gone after that.
Not trying to solicit business for my employer, but Petsmart will take back food and refund fully even if partially used (green cash money with receipt, store credit without). That said, I agree with Linda about buying only what you can get through in no more than a month and preferably less... only buy larger quantities if you can store it in the freezer. It is the water soluble vitamins you lose, and about half will be gone after four weeks opened. Worse than that is fats going rancid, colonization with grain mites and the development of mold/fungus.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
When bathing our dogs (& horses) I use a Tea Tree Oil Shampoo. It leaves their coat moisturized as well as cleaning it.
I like the idea of a cloth with baby oil (thanks, I will surely try that) and we also use good quality baby wipes to clean their ears and wipe them off after rolling around in the dust.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Dandruff/ Oder - my 1977 dobe had it all her life / I now fully believe it was food related, as our girl was feed a lower quality kibble...based on the advice of our first breeder, and we did not question this advice (back then).

After that dog died of cancer, we waited 14 years for another puppy and instantly bought a bag of the same old kibble crap.
When our puppy had dandruff and a similar chin pimple and finally with the resources of the internet...I started to research pet nutrition and concluded "we are what we eat...dogs included".
Switched to human grade ingredient kibble with no corn, no by-products, no fillers.
Within 10 days, the dandruff was gone, the chin pimple was gone, and the dog farts was just about eliminated.
- our Amy is now 11.4 y/o, her coat is still soft like mink and almost never gets a bath / she sleeps in our bed, and doesn't have the noteable dog smell

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If everything checks out with the Vet. You can give some plain canned pumkin to help with the diarrhea. Plain Yogurt is good. It will put the good bacteria back into his intestines. Some times you just have to find the right food. Even with the better kibble is trial and error and maybe go grain free. I would let his system settle down. Plus he is stressed to his new surroundings. With kibble and treats remember NO Corn, Wheat or Soy.
Once you find the right food and treats you can start to add some supplements Slowly to his food. Some of the things great for skin and coat are Fish Oil or Krill Oil, Vit E (If you use people supplements make sure there is no Corn, Wheat, or Soy in them), Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Raw Egg every day. You can also add a good Probiotic in with his food.
Bath wise find a good natural shampoo. Do not give a lot of baths. You do not want to take all the oils out of the skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts