Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew, we decided to enter Scarlet in her first show May 26th, and 27th!! It was kind of on a whim cuz its nice and local, not expecting too much from her at this point, just looking to get our feet wet.

First question is what do you do in order to prep for a show grooming wise? We are going to make an appointment with a local groomer to get nail trim, bath, brush, etc... I think just the basics? Anything else above and beyond that anyone especially does?

Also, Ive noticed she has a lot of dandruff and dry skin, I am assuming from the weather change. Any home remedies you can recommend? She eats Acana, gets her supplements, and weekly home grooming with a waterless spray.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, great thread.

I guess I should have focused more on the dandruff and dry skin issue as my question? Any suggestions for a dry coat?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't think regular groomers know how to groom Dobes IF you are thinking of asking them to do the shaving parts.

when you bathe, do you rub the coat both directions when washing or drying? It can make flakes worse. Also bathe with tepid water, barely luke warm.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
I don't think regular groomers know how to groom Dobes IF you are thinking of asking them to do the shaving parts.

when you bathe, do you rub the coat both directions when washing or drying? It can make flakes worse. Also bathe with tepid water, barely luke warm.
I absolutely agree, Adara. I wouldn't turn any dog of mine loose to be groomed by the average groomer. I'd maybe let a Boxer or Dane person who showed, groom a Dobe for me but even some of the Dobe people don't know and don't do a good job.

There is a very good article on the DPCA web site under Breeder Information (can't think what it's really called--on bathing--it's by Anna Browning I think.

She makes a point of telling you to NOT rub the coat back and forth and to not scrub them with your nails or the little rubber curry comb like tools. Single coated dogs don't need this kind of scrubbing--and I'll go even further and tell you while the artical specified tepid water--the author explains that tepid does not mean luke warm--it means practically cold. I bathe my dogs in cold water--and I stopped having dandruff after the first bath.

I think I'd avoid those waterless sprays--they are often mostly alcohol and will dry the skin out. You can keep Dobes pretty clean with just a dampened terry cloth towel--wiping them down daily or even weekly will take off dirt and loose hair without affecting the skin.

Good luck at the shows.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I absolutely agree, Adara. I wouldn't turn any dog of mine loose to be groomed by the average groomer. I'd maybe let a Boxer of Dane person who showed groom a Dobe for me but even some of the Dobe people don't know and don't do a good job.

The is a very good article on the DPCA web site under Breeder Information (can't think what it's really called--on bathing--it's by Anna Browning I think.

She makes a point of telling you to NOT rub the coat back and forth and to not scrub them with your nails of the little rubber curry comb like tools. Single coated dogs don't need this kind of scrubbing--and I'll go even further and tell you while the artical specified tepid water--the author explains that tepid does not mean luke warm--it means practically cold. I bathe my dogs in cold water--and I stopped having dandruff after the first bath.

I think I'd avoid those waterless sprays--they are often mostly alcohol and will dry the skin out. You can keep Dobes pretty clean with just a dampened terry cloth towel--wiping them down daily or even weekly will take off dirt and loose hair without affecting the skin.

Good luck at the shows.
Me three on letting the average groomer do a show trim on my doberman=it wouldn't happen!

I also agree using a waterless shampoo that often could be contributing to the dry skin.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
for sure I'd stop the waterless shampoo spray. Ditto to what Dobebug said - use cool water, and dobes don't need a bath all the time anyway. You can add sardines to her food, flax seed oil to help with her coat long term. For grooming, I'd save my $$ on the groomer and get Monica to do it (she's the breeder if I remember?) She will do a way better job for you. Good luck, and if you entered in Aurora, see you there!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for sure I'd stop the waterless shampoo spray. Ditto to what Dobebug said - use cool water, and dobes don't need a bath all the time anyway. You can add sardines to her food, flax seed oil to help with her coat long term. For grooming, I'd save my $$ on the groomer and get Monica to do it (she's the breeder if I remember?) She will do a way better job for you. Good luck, and if you entered in Aurora, see you there!!
True enough, I will see when Monica can do it, she is handling her as well both days ;)

Are you competing with us in the 12 - 18 month? I am nervous for Scarlets first show lol, she really hasn't had much practice, but I am interested to see if she enjoys it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Do not assume a groomer knows anything about grooming show dogs unless they have experience grooming actual show dogs.

If you walked into my salon and said you wanted your doberman clipped for show my coworkers would look at you like you were crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts