Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Damon will be 11 weeks old next Tuesday, and in the last 3 weeks since we got him, we've made some pretty good progress with him. He's gotten used to his crate; at first it was just awful, you'd think someone was cutting off his legs, the way he whined and cried but after reading these forums, we didn't relent and now he's a good boy and will stay in there without a fuss. He still won't go in there on his own, but we're working on that.
Except for the very rare accident, he's doing good in the housebreaking department. But then we try our best to take him out about every 30 minutes or so, right after he eats or drinks and after he's been playing or running around. When I say "Let's go outside" he runs down the stairs and waits for me at the door. When we go out, I wait for him to start peeing and then the whole time he's going, I say "go pee, go pee" and then praise him once he's done. We just had a privacy fence put in the backyard and I took him out back without leash for the first time today and while he was exploring, just out of curiosity, I said "Damon, go pee" and it was probably a coincidence, but he did :).
So far he's learned "let's go outside", "in the house", "come here", "are you hungry?" (LOL, that was the first thing he learned, and oh, how fast :p) and he'll sit about 75% of the time on command. He is one hyper boy though, especially after waking up and he has the attention span of a gnat. Oh, and when he passes gas, it ALWAYS seems to happen when he comes into my computer room and man oh man, he can peel the paint off the walls :rolleyesww:

Here he is with one of our other dogs, Coco, when they were both sleeping and giving us some time to enjoy the peace and quiet.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge and we've picked up some really great tips from here :nicejob:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
He's so cute! Didn't pick the best spot for his nose though. I guess that means he doesn't think his poo stinks. Does Coco rip and romp with him? Better tell her to get her licks in while she can. That boy is gonna grow!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coco and our other dog aren't quite sure what to make of this guy yet. All he wants to do is play, play, play and they'd rather lay around and sleep. I think our biggest challenge will be teaching Damon not to bother the other dogs or to be rough with them.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Yea - dobe pups are so PERFECT, as they sleep (arn't they)...and don't brother the older dogs, then...LOL
- puppy training time is my favorate period...enjoy, they don't stay long forever
Damon is handsome...love the milk belly / pot (bigger than their baby chest)...at this young age...something they soon loose, when they grow up strong and fill out.
- its pictures of this short period, that still makes me smile...of our girl...11 years later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
puppy training time is my favorate period...enjoy, they don't stay long forever
Mine too...I just wish I had more time because you definitely get back what you put into it. I believe (although there may be rare exceptions) there's no such thing as a "bad" dog, they are usually badly trained, or not trained at all. Time, love and patience...

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
awwwww....welcome!
It's so nice to see another Damon....if he takes after my Damon (Daims) he will be the best dog you'll ever have! The name has to count for something right? :D He's such a sweetie!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The credit goes to my daughter...she picked the name out. I was sitting there going through possible names online when she came walking in and said, "how about Damon?" And Damon it was :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Coco and our other dog aren't quite sure what to make of this guy yet. All he wants to do is play, play, play and they'd rather lay around and sleep. I think our biggest challenge will be teaching Damon not to bother the other dogs or to be rough with them.
Nice pup!!!
You sound like me with the commands hahaha. Its just repetitive, constant and positive, they figure it out pretty quick.
hey try, my guy trying to play with 3 cats...lol..
At least one of my cats acts like a dog, so that helps but Nubis sometimes acts/mimics the cats. He already stalks like a black panther, so it will be a blast when I teach him, "lets be sneeky" lol.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Yea - dobe pups are so PERFECT, as they sleep (arn't they)...and don't brother the older dogs, then...LOL
- puppy training time is my favorate period...enjoy, they don't stay long forever
Damon is handsome...love the milk belly / pot (bigger than their baby chest)...at this young age...something they soon loose, when they grow up strong and fill out.
- its pictures of this short period, that still makes me smile...of our girl...11 years later.
At this age, they are "Angels" when they are sleeping.
Its funny now, when I tell him time for a nap, he talks back but I suck him in with one of Nubis'sMom's homemade dog bisquits. At least now he tears off to his crate. I'll give him credit right from the start, he was right at home in there. I've recorded him in my absence and he has it all figured out.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Mine too...I just wish I had more time because you definitely get back what you put into it. I believe (although there may be rare exceptions) there's no such thing as a "bad" dog, they are usually badly trained, or not trained at all. Time, love and patience...
You got that right. I'll call him a bad dog curbing unwanted behaviors but in the back of my mind, I am pleasantly pleased with his progress. His still a pup, so he is not perfect but I always say with anything or anyone, you will not know what good is, unless you have experienced some bad stuff in life. Lol

Reactions: Coco Loco

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll keep working on the crate training and hopefully he'll get to the point where he wants to go in there by himself. We leave the door open at all times and he's only gone in by himself one time, and that was to grab one of his toys.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
We'll keep working on the crate training and hopefully he'll get to the point where he wants to go in there by himself. We leave the door open at all times and he's only gone in by himself one time, and that was to grab one of his toys.
I wouldn't sweat it too much, I think it depends on their personality, my first male, had no issues with the crate but would never go in there by himself even when he was an older adult. He wanted to be where the action was, even if he was sleeping. Now my female was the opposite, didn't have a problem just crashing in there when she wanted a nap.

Reactions: Nomad60

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, thanks. Damon has no problem when we put him in his crate; he'll just lay there and watch us or go to sleep, with no fuss at all. I think he's already figured out that we're going to let him out...eventually LOL.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Great name. My first springer spaniel was named Damon, after the Damon of true friends Damon and Pythias — of Greek legend. Damon was a wonderful dog who will always be well-remembered, so I have a real soft spot for his name (which we opted for because Pythias was just too much of a mouthful for us).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts