Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Last night, while walking our two Dobes (male and female), the male slipped on a chunk of ice when I was not looking and sliced one of his pillows on the back left paw (the center one). When I got back home, my wife washed the wound, applied Polysporin and bandaged it. Also put a rubber make-shift bootie on him. The question is: how long does this usually take to heal? I called the vet and they told me stitches are out of the question, the wound is too small. Pls give me some input, I've never dealt with this kind of issue before.
Regards,
L.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Hi there. Last night, while walking our two Dobes (male and female), the male slipped on a chunk of ice when I was not looking and sliced one of his pillows on the back left paw (the center one). When I got back home, my wife washed the wound, applied Polysporin and bandaged it. Also put a rubber make-shift bootie on him. The question is: how long does this usually take to heal? I called the vet and they told me stitches are out of the question, the wound is too small. Pls give me some input, I've never dealt with this kind of issue before.
Regards,
L.
they take a while to heal... problem is its nearly impossible to keep them off the pad to give it time to heal.

thinking back - I think it was burns on this forum had a tread about paw pad treatment on her dog.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
mix about 1 heaping teaspoon of a natural sea salt in about 1/2 to 1 cup of warm water......soak the pad in it several times a day for a couple of days.it will heal very fast!

Hugz to your boy!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Doberkisses to your boy! I think you did good by putting Polysporin on it. I would keep it covered outside to avoid infection, but do let it air out and dry as well. Keep it clean and it should heal up on its own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tks guys, so much...I followed advice and also watched a video here about a neat way to bandage. He's resting comfortably now, smelling his foot gizmo from time to time. Someone told me I should keep it uncovered at night, I'll also try that. Cheers. L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts