Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thank you for doing your due diligence and doing research before purchasing.

There are a few things on this bare-bones site that draw my attention, and not in a good way.

Foremost, they state that both parents are on-site for their litters. There is no way in hell that Carib, their sire, is the best match for all of their bitches, that is if they have more than one. Also, even if they only have one bitch, repeated breedings are not considered necessarily beneficial to the breed anyway. That gives me the impression that these are convenience breedings, meaning, for profit breedings.

The site says that they come from working lines, yet gives no mention of the working capability of the two dogs involved or any titles they hold. Reputable breeders usually show their dogs in some venue to prove them eligible for breeding (genes worthy of passing on). Reputable breeders usually only mate two dogs with some intention of getting some better product out of the breeding, not only to turn a profit.

The site also states that their dogs are on the larger side of standard. This is not a good thing. Standards in breedings exist for a reason-- because form follows function. Having a larger-than-standard dog should not be considered a selling point.

I would also be really concerned about what health testing has been done on these dogs (the parents, not the puppies). There is no mention of it, only a health guarantee which they do not detail.

All in all, I would not purchase from this breeder.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Here's a link to articles on how to buy a Doberman from an ethical breeder: http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8780-breeders-breeding.html

I am sure you can do better than the breeder you asked about. These are Massachusetts Dobe breeders from whom I would love to have a dog: Chalmar, Kettle Cove, Magis, and Manarjj.

However, what I look for in a Doberman may not be what you are looking for, so be sure to discuss with any breeder what you are looking for in terms of temperament, activity level, trainability and matching your lifestyle.

Best wishes for a successful DoberSearch.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The site also states that their dogs are on the larger side of standard. This is not a good thing. Standards in breedings exist for a reason-- because form follows function. Having a larger-than-standard dog should not be considered a selling point.
I probably would not bother to make a phone call, but I wanted to point out that it DOES say "larger side of standard" (as versed to larger than standard), which I do not take to mean out of standard. The "larger side of standard" is correct... one half inch less than the top of standard height is more correct than a smaller dog within standard.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I also would not bother. Besides the reasons previously stated. Health guarantee is for 1 year -- since most issues cannot even be tested for prior to 2 years of age, the health guarantee is essentially worthless.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I probably would not bother to make a phone call, but I wanted to point out that it DOES say "larger side of standard" (as versed to larger than standard), which I do not take to mean out of standard. The "larger side of standard" is correct... one half inch less than the top of standard height is more correct than a smaller dog within standard.
To this I'll add most standard sized dobermans are on the larger side of the standard. You just don't see that many 26" males.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive emailed Bell'Lavoro, but got no response yet. have not reached out to cara yet. in the meantime i have been contacting other breeders to try and distinguish good breeders from bad breeders. when i came across this ad i was confused. so that is why i came to ask the professionals....

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
ive emailed Bell'Lavoro, but got no response yet. have not reached out to cara yet. in the meantime i have been contacting other breeders to try and distinguish good breeders from bad breeders. when i came across this ad i was confused. so that is why i came to ask the professionals....
You might try calling Vicky with Bell Lavoro over email. I found she was harder to get ahold of via the internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts