Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been sewing my own collars and the D rings keep snapping in half when my dogisnt evenpulling. I was buying them from Joanns fabric store so i bought the next couple online and yesterday one of them broke. So if anyone has any suggestions to where to get strong D rings would be awesome! Thanks

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Have you tried Lowe's or Home Depot? They may have sturdier hardware than what Joann's would carry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried lows and another hardware store, both of which had the same type of D rings as the online store.

Thanks I will look at that website. Luckily he doesn't go anywhere but it is still a safety issue for me.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Jaycee,

What kind of metal are the D rings you are buying? If they are brass that's a very weak metal. Also another one to stay away from are the things that are chrome plated but made of pot metal--very weak, often have blow holes in them which makes them even weaker.

When I buy hardware for harnesses, collars and tracking lines and leashes I get them through marine hardware stores. You can get everything in stainless steel which is strong and some things in bronze which is also strong and which I like even better than stainless for certain applications.

I've been out of the retail marine hardware business for 10 years now but there are on line sources and catalog sources if you aren't somewhere (like on the east or west coast) where you can usually find marine hardware stores locally. West Marine is on-line, has catalogs and has stores coast to coast as well as inland any place there are large lakes and carry most of the hardware you could possibly need.

Stainless steel will always be marked as such--it'll be a little more expensive but it would be rare to break anything--D-rings are usually measured by the length of the "D" and the diameter of the wire used to form them.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Reactions: Jaycee

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also make dog collars for Sammy and Blush.

I buy all my supplies from Creative Designworks
cdwplus.com

Have a look at their site. I've never had a problem with the hardware I buy from them.
me too!! They are a one stop shop for collars!!! I make them too..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I just put in order in for stainless steel and aluminum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive been sewing my own collars and the D rings keep snapping in half when my dogisnt evenpulling. I was buying them from Joanns fabric store so i bought the next couple online and yesterday one of them broke. So if anyone has any suggestions to where to get strong D rings would be awesome! Thanks
??? Huh?

http://www.luvmydog.co.uk/acatalog/Sprenger_Metalwork_and_Hardware.html Sprenger D's, anything else isn't, and I don't know the problem you're having because we've never had it. Sometimes trying to save a penny costs Pounds and I honestly don't know why people bother!! I'll be blunt here and poo poo anyone elses suggestions, they might mean well but they're wrong, we only use the best and I don't recognise a single brand they've suggested. If you can get a refund and send what you've ordered back then do it, if they're even half as good as a Sprenger I'll buy them for you, and that's no kidding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suggestion

You could also have the hotdogcollars site. I have a leather collar of my pet. Here is the link: Leather Dog Collars, Tags and Leashes from Hot Dog Collars - Made in the USA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts