Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Does anyone have any thoughts on or experiences with using cytopoint? My dog's scratching and paw biting is getting to the point where it's out of control and I'm losing patience with all the remedies I've tried. His paws are now bleeding and I'm thinking I'm going to finally give in and try cytopoint. I wanted to steer clear because I came across some nightmare stories, but absolutely nothing is working.

I've tried... Cleansers, shampoos, frequent bathing, infrequent bathing, fish oil, flaxseed oil, ACV, ACV + Listerine topically, golden paste, different kibbles, and a limited cooked diet.

From his allergy tests, he definitely seems to be allergic to grass and some other plants, so nothing seems to be helping his environmental allergies at all. Sorry if this has been covered before, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
From what you said your dog has allergy tests and was it a blood test not a skin scrap I ask because my last girl was also allergic to grasses and the blood test is more accurate and was done by a Vet dermatologist. She was on a weekly shot however when she had flare ups she would get the Cytopoint shot. It was the best thing IMO. I now have one female and one male. Both of them also get the Cytopoint shots. My girl only needs one shot per year and my male may need one or two shots to calm down the licking of their paws. Both of them do not have major flair ups so between medicated shampoos and the shot both dogs do fine. Cytopoint works for about 4-6 weeks and we never had any side effects. The shots are expensive and work on the two receptors in the brain that sends the signal to itch/scratch. This shot blocks those receptors stopping the urge and you are able to get a handle on the problem. I wish you the best. You may want to have a Vet Dermatologist appointment to see if weekly allergy shots are in order. Those shots kept the flair ups in check and when my girl did get a flair up she was treated with the Cytopoint along with medicated shampoos

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,103 Posts
Apoquel is an oral medication that we had some luck with—of course, you hear terrible stories about it too. It is expensive and you have to give it every day, but we never had a side-effect problem. Even long term—Kip was in some of the earlier tests right before the medication was released to the general public, and stayed on it for years. He lived until he was almost 12. He did develop a couple of mast cell tumors toward the end of his life, but they are common, especially in allergic dogs, so ? whether apoquel had anything to do with that.

It is as fast acting as Cytopoint—you've probably researched it, but here's a good article comparing the two. They look to be about equivalent. I'm not sure about the cost—apparently cytopoint dosage is size dependent, so the larger your dog is, the more expensive it is.

https://www.dvm360.com/view/making-...titis-when-use-apoquel-and-when-use-cytopoint

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, it was a blood test. His numbers on the grasses were insanely high. You bring up something I had a question about from my research... I know the shot will block the itching sensation, but does it actually stop the skin from being red and broken out in some spots? Or will they still have rashes (that they just won't itch)?

From what you said your dog has allergy tests and was it a blood test not a skin scrap I ask because my last girl was also allergic to grasses and the blood test is more accurate and was done by a Vet dermatologist. She was on a weekly shot however when she had flare ups she would get the Cytopoint shot. It was the best thing IMO. I now have one female and one male. Both of them also get the Cytopoint shots. My girl only needs one shot per year and my male may need one or two shots to calm down the licking of their paws. Both of them do not have major flair ups so between medicated shampoos and the shot both dogs do fine. Cytopoint works for about 4-6 weeks and we never had any side effects. The shots are expensive and work on the two receptors in the brain that sends the signal to itch/scratch. This shot blocks those receptors stopping the urge and you are able to get a handle on the problem. I wish you the best. You may want to have a Vet Dermatologist appointment to see if weekly allergy shots are in order. Those shots kept the flair ups in check and when my girl did get a flair up she was treated with the Cytopoint along with medicated shampoos

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Yup, it was a blood test. His numbers on the grasses were insanely high. You bring up something I had a question about from my research... I know the shot will block the itching sensation, but does it actually stop the skin from being red and broken out in some spots? Or will they still have rashes (that they just won't itch)?
IMO when they stop the itching/scratching it gives their skin time to heal. I too also had a dog on Apoqual. No side effects however there is research regarding the use of this drug. I personally would not give this drug to my dogs. My current dog had bad effects on this drug and we stopped it immediately after 4 dosages. Cytapoint was just coming out and thankfully it has been great with my two. Has your vet recommended weekly allergy shots. I did that with my last girl and as I stated it kept things in control about 80% and when she did have a flair up we did the medicated shampoos along with the Cytapoint

·
Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
I'd also recommend a dermatologist if things are that severe.

Talk to your veterinarian about the pros and cons of the possible drugs out there. I would go right to your trusted veterinarian for actual information and statistics, and to evaluate your dog's individual situation. Any drug has a risk profile (just as they do in humans...think about the ads you see on TV where they have to list the potential side effects!)...you have to weigh your dog's quality of life verses the (typically low) risk of side effects.

Personally, I have a dog on Apoquel and she does great on it. With a dog as severe as you describe, I'd absolutely pursue one of the allergy treatments. Whatever treatment worked best to control the symptoms and give my dog a much better quality of life would be worth it. Just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts