Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I stop it from bleeding? How long will it take to stop by itself? Do I have to worry about infection? Should I put something on it? Stop her from chewing bones for the day? Have tried putting corn flour on it, ended up covered in corn flour and blood, and Elsie has a white foot but it was still bleeding... She licks it off too! She doesn't seem bothered by it and didn't even flinch when I did it.... I feel like a puppy torturing monster :(

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I use a product "Quik Stop".. I think it's basically corn starch. You must have really wacked it :) You may have to wrap the toe or hold pressure on it for a while. Once it coagulates, it should then stop bleeding and start healing up. Though it's vulnerable for a while to be re-opened. So keep some foot bandages around. And always should worry about infection. I'd keep it as dry as possible.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't have quick stop and, while it's not as good, I"ve used flour.

Every time I've quicked an animal (not often) they haven't seemed to notice or care and yet they bleed so much!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have quick stop and, while it's not as good, I"ve used flour.

Every time I've quicked an animal (not often) they haven't seemed to notice or care and yet they bleed so much!
I've never done it before, usually sooo cautious with her nails... of course it was on her one black nail :( Bleeding seems to have slowed down, have her penned in the laundry for now as she keeps running around the house with her toy putting blood all over the beige carpet -_-'

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong Alpha's, but I feel like I remember reading something about rubbing a bar of soap on it. Although don't let her eat it!

Reactions: the_discowhore

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Calm down, not a huge deal.

Dogs survive quicked toenails every day, all over the world :D

Unless she has a bleeding disorder, no real harm or foul, except to your carpet, of course!

Just sit with her, elevate her foot a bit, and wipe off any blood droplet, and immediately apply a styptic (if your fella has one in his shaving kit) or plain flour, and then hold pressure on it for a few minutes.

I would not mess with wrapping her foot or toe, more likely to end up with a too-tight or incorrect bandage, and circulatory injuries, or else a puppy with a potential blockage, from eating her exciting new shoe :p

Disclaimer: If it's an actual abnormal amount and duration of bleeding, might be a signal of something else wrong, and do head to the vet, then.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I hate doing this!! I've done it twice and both times Zeus thought he was literally getting dragged off of a cliff by one toenail (after all his nickname is princess). The two times I did it, I just held pressure on it with a paper towel and it stopped in a minute or so. As long as you don't make a big deal out of it, the dog won't either!

My stepmother used to quick our family dog's nails and she would scream bloody murder.... Of course the dog eventually thought "well hey, maybe it is bloody murder!!" and loathed nail clippings.

·
Registered
775 Posts
She will be ok! :)

I keep a Stypic Pencil in my "doggy first aid" kit. I use a Dremel so I don't really worry about it too much, but its a good idea to keep one just in case anything is bleeding. I've used it on me too, haha. Torque just ripped one of his nails off. So all he has is a quick on the outside toe of one back foot. At first the nail was still on just the kwik was ripped out and it took 2.5 days for that to stop bleeding, then the nail actually fell off and it bled again for a couple hours. It still bleeds a little if he runs too much, but the vet wasn't too worried about it.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! Crisis averted and carpet is cleaned... b/f keeps asking Elsie if she feels okay living in a house with someone who tried to cut her foot off... but she seems to have forgiven me :p

Have found a styptic too, hopefully there won't be a next time though! Going to be super mega ultra cautious with that black toe nail!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Onnnly one time in the 14 & a half years when i had my old Papillon with all white toe nails I quicked her had to take her to the vet,The corn starch was not working I felt really bad but it happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts