Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Do alot of breeders get rid of their dogs when they are done breeding them? Just curious.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6673712
None of the breeders I personally know would be placing a bitch that was done breeding, and none of them have kennel dogs. That's not to say that a good breeder never places dogs - because occasionally they do. Usually it would be a young dog that just did not mature to be a good show quality dog and so they will sell/place it. The other scenario is a dog that is returned to the breeder by an owner. The breeder will try to place the dog. There are some breeders that have really good relationships with their local rescue, and so in that situation, rescue will help place the dog. Sorry to say that I don't know a whole lot of breeders who support (financially more than a few bucks a year) the local rescue in this area.

Placing a dog is not always a bad thing - if a breeder has a lot of dogs (especially kennel dogs), a good adoptive home would be a big step up for the dog. I personally don't ever plan on having a lot of dogs. That said, I think it is kind of sad that now that the bitch is done having puppies, she is no longer wanted. On the flip side, she might be much better off in a new home where she actually is a house dog with her own family.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yes some do you quite often, you'll find them on their site, or when you call and inquire about a puppy they mention oh by the way we have and older dog for sale as well. Sometimes the fee is minimal as they put it range I've heard is $500.00 and up. It seems the ones they only wanted for the bloodlines they sell when they have gotten their money back +++ and or genes to carry on in their mix of blood, or there done using them because there to old to breed or the good ones feel only a few litters is fair or the one that doesn't work well within the group, or the pup they kept didn't turn out or has not passed one of the health tests. The one that doesn't grab their heart is always gone to make room for more blood lines or younger dogs to produce more, to better the breed they say. I have not seen one in rescue directly from breeder but I have seen one after they sold it to someone else. along time ago.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I know some good breeders that do place adult bitches after they have had a couple of litters--or one litter or whatever that breeder wanted from the bloodlines. Most of the ones I know place them with relatives or trusted friends at no charge so that the retired (from the ring, the whelping box etc) dog is a house dog--someones full time dog.

I also know good breeders who keep one aging bitch who is the house dog and place others as they have finished with them--see above.

I also know some breeders I regard as being in the BYB category who sell their retired bitches--sometimes still intact to other breeders when they have bred them how ever many times and don't need them any more because they have new young bitches to breed. They don't give them away to good homes--they sell them so the poor bitches can make more puppies for some other BYB.

And I know people who breed their bitches once--keep a puppy or two from the breeding and keep the bitch until she goes where the good dogs go and wouldn't consider letting their beloved pet go anywhere under any circumstances.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just made me sad when I saw that. I'm sure that it happens all the time (or more than I thought), it just struck me kind of funny when I saw that. I was just wondering if that was a "normal" thing to see. She sure is a pretty girl, I hope that she finds a great home.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dobebug said:
I know some good breeders that do place adult bitches after they have had a couple of litters--or one litter or whatever that breeder wanted from the bloodlines. Most of the ones I know place them with relatives or trusted friends at no charge so that the retired (from the ring, the whelping box etc) dog is a house dog--someones full time dog.
This, I can understand.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
All of the breeders that i know here if they keep a dog out of a litter then it is for life.In fact Tia's breeder would never let one go if she could,on the day we went to collect Tia she cried when every pup left to go to their new homes,even when we left she cried and she knew she would see Tia every couple of weeks at a show or rally.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My breeder keeps her dogs for life - doesn't breed them every year and even then only for a few litters. She does not try and get as many litters as possible out of her show dogs.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
At our dobe rescue, we get a fair number of bitches that were used for breeding, but they come from BYB's or puppy mills. which makes it doubly sad in MYHO

cc

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would do the same.

I have a soft heart. I sold my horse that I had trained and found out that I was pregnant.So I sold him. When the lady that bought him came to look at him she told me that she would buy him I started to cry and she told me that I could keep him.He has a wonderful home. I still go over and see him. I just don't understand some breeders.
brumwolf said:
All of the breeders that i know here if they keep a dog out of a litter then it is for life.In fact Tia's breeder would never let one go if she could,on the day we went to collect Tia she cried when every pup left to go to their new homes,even when we left she cried and she knew she would see Tia every couple of weeks at a show or rally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts