Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about "decoy dogs"? I've been an avid hunter since I was very young and was recently introduced to decoy dogs for coyote hunting. I have a co-worker whom tells me the best decoy dog he ever had was a dobe. They're intense speed, fearless-ness, huge prey drive and the ability for them to be trained easily, that they're a shoe in.

I'm not sold on the whole thing yet anyway, and doubt I'd let Ray do it especially since I think the training starts at a very young age. I'm just curious to see if anyone has participated in this sport and if so/not, what your opinion is on it. I'll tell ya, it's really cool to watch the dogs work and see how it all comes together. My co-worker has purposely crossbred a pittbull and grey hound and is having pretty good luck. But he says they don't quite have the speed/agility and are a lot harder to train than his dobes were.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Well IMO are you going to eat the coyote? If not what's the point of killing it? I feel that the only reason for killing an animal is if your going to eat it. Or new opinion is if my dogs are going to eat it.

But it might be something a dog may enjoy.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Not something I would ever expose my dog too. Would be too afraid of hitting it with a stray bullet and I am not a hunter.

I agree with Herb2relax, unless your going to eat the coyote, why hunt it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well IMO are you going to eat the coyote? If not what's the point of killing it? I feel that the only reason for killing an animal is if your going to eat it. Or new opinion is if my dogs are going to eat it.

But it might be something a dog may enjoy.
The point is in population control/conservation and eliminating a large number of pests in urban/ranch settings. I'm more curious as to what members here think of using the dogs rather than you're opinion on the hunting itself, I realize they're both directly related to my question but if you disagree with hunting then for the sake of argument just tell me you'd never use your dog etc. I mean I'm a hunter and that won't change... I'm honestly ok with people hating me for it etc. I just don't want to get other members/friends into a heated debate over this.

To summarize... What do you think about using dogs? Specifically your dog, would you? Do you think dobes would do this well? I shoulda worded my last post better, lol, I don't want a huge hunting debate, I just want opinions on the dogs.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I would never use my dog for something like this.

How are coyotes pests? Aren't they a native species??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh...Coyotes are not native to the entire U.S. there's a lot of areas where they were introduced to control rabbits/squirrels etc so NO.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I wouldn't use my dobe. I would select one of the sporting breeds.

I think Adara's vizsla has a master hunter title.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm that's cool, I've never been around Vizslas. Just wondering if you have a reason why a dobe wouldn't be a good candidate?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The point is in population control/conservation and eliminating a large number of pests in urban/ranch settings. I'm more curious as to what members here think of using the dogs rather than you're opinion on the hunting itself, I realize they're both directly related to my question but if you disagree with hunting then for the sake of argument just tell me you'd never use your dog etc. I mean I'm a hunter and that won't change... I'm honestly ok with people hating me for it etc. I just don't want to get other members/friends into a heated debate over this.

To summarize... What do you think about using dogs? Specifically your dog, would you? Do you think dobes would do this well? I shoulda worded my last post better, lol, I don't want a huge hunting debate, I just want opinions on the dogs.
Yes, I know your point and I dont hate you. I am sure we all have hobbies and things that others dont agree with. I grew up with hunters, dad & brothers. I went until I was in Junior High. But I pretty much took care of the dogs. The dogs they use were bred to hunt. On part of the question I guess I would want to know what is the endurance level needed for this type of hunting and would the doberman be able to handle that aspect of it. Greyhounds are good for running but I believe it is in short bursts not long distance. Something like the Saluki I believe was bred for endurance (long distant running). I also agree that part of it would be how you introduced it to the dog and would be more into it if started at a young age.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy I've went with, his dogs never get more than 200yds from his stand, so ya basically figure around 500yds tops, the dogs didnt run every stand or on every coyote. I know his GH/PB breeds seemed to run well enough as far as speed and endurance, idk. I think a lot of it has to do with how the hunter uses the dogs too.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Coyotes are now hunting in packs. What happens when the decoy dog is ambushed or stumbles and is then set upon by the coyotes? Anyone ever seen a dog that has been attacked by coyotes? I have and it ain't pretty.

No way I would use my dog for coyote bait.

I watched a show on I think animal planet (could be wrong) about a woman hiking on a trail near Nova Scotia and was attacked and partially eaten by a pack of coyotes. When the sheriff approached, one of the coyotes stood his ground over the woman's body not willing to give up their kill. It wasn't until it was wounded that it left the kill.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Couldn't coyotes hurt a dog? Dobermans were not bred for hunting or fighting... Best off getting a purpose bred dog.

Ugh...Coyotes are not native to the entire U.S. there's a lot of areas where they were introduced to control rabbits/squirrels etc so NO.
Don't need to be snappy. I am from New Zealand, so am just curious as I am not hugely familiar with US wildlife. We hunt introduced species here too, pigs, deer, rabbits, possums, rats, stoats, ferrets, goat, sheep... you name it, it's been introduced here to the detriment of our native flora and fauna.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I would never use my dog for something like this.

How are coyotes pests? Aren't they a native species??
The coyotes who have moved into the east and the northeast US and into eastern Canada have bred with native wolves.....according to the program I watched. That way the product of that inter breeding got the worst from both sides.

They are pests because they can survive in cities like New York or Chicago. They attack livestock and small pets and children.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty uncommon around here to see a pack, and again I think it would depend on how far you let the dog get etc. but I mean I see your point. Although everything has danger to it, my neighbors lab pushed through her son at the front door last week and ran across the road only to get hit by a truck. I doubt I'd ever let Ray engage in this just because she's not appropriately trained and is my little boy' best friend. My biggest worry would be the dog running off, I know they use GPS locators like they do with hounds, but still.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn't coyotes hurt a dog? Dobermans were not bred for hunting or fighting... Best off getting a purpose bred dog.

Don't need to be snappy. I am from New Zealand, so am just curious as I am not hugely familiar with US wildlife. We hunt introduced species here too, pigs, deer, rabbits, possums, rats, stoats, ferrets, goat, sheep... you name it, it's been introduced here to the detriment of our native flora and fauna.
Well, I wasn't being snappy per se' just was seeing where this was going which I felt no real relevance to my question. But I guess a coyote could hurt your dog... I mean an insect could too, or a meteor or a disease etc. FYI coyotes tend to be around 35lbs average, is there larger ones? Yes! Especially in the North East part of the U.S. Like VZ said are breeding with wolves which obviously increases their size.

The biggest one I've ever taken was a 42lb coyote, that was after it had wiped out 15 sheep which I'm sure you could relate to knowing what a cash crop/importance sheep are in NZ. The irony of this... The guy that took
Me out with dogs is originally from Auckland NZ. His name is Nicholas Vitali.. Know him? I know, slim chance..lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The other concern is that Dobermans have no coat to protect them from thorny brush or someone's teeth. If you look at breeds that protect herds of sheep/goats they have heavy coats when compared to a dobe.
I asked about that... He was using fairly heavy nylon vests/jackets for protection and said he'd never had an issue. But a legitimate concern nonetheless..

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Just thought of something else...

It is common for coyotes to breed with dogs. Again, the worst of both worlds. When I lived in Illinois we had coyotes pretty much all the time. Then one day I notice one trotting across the back of the property and it was BIG. I talked to our neighbor (who had llamas) and she was aware of him. He was a coydog. He looked like a coyote but had bits and pieces that were more dogish.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I asked about that... He was using fairly heavy nylon vests/jackets for protection and said he'd never had an issue. But a legitimate concern nonetheless..
I would be concerned about the fronts of the legs where there was no protection. Running through tall grass or brush would take a toll.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts