Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

Has anyone had a Dobe with and undescended testicle? I am looking a pup who was the pick of the litter but his left testicle is undescended. I have an opportunity to get him and I really like him.

I've read that cancer can develop if the dog isn't neutered. He will be neutered but are there other concerns that I should be aware of? Does this affect the dog in any other way? Is cancer still a problem even if neutered?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
I pulled a rescue dog from a shelter back in April that was cryptorchid. I had him neutered right away. It did cost a fair bit more because the vet has to go looking for that missing testicle. The surgery was more involved for the dog as well as he had an incision in front of his penis as well as behind (where it normally would be, IME).

His recovery was a little harder than for the average neuter.

Other than the additional cost and the surgery being a little more involved, I don't know of any other issues.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Fletcher99, first of all, it is possible that the testicle will descend on it's own. I have seen this happen up to 6 months old in pups where the testicle could be felt (it just hadn't dropped). There is some debate on whether or not an undesended testicle increases the risk of cancer. On the matter of neutering...IF the testicles are removed, then obviously the dog cannot get testicular cancer...that does not mean he cannot get ANY cancer. But as far as his activities go, don't let it stop you if you really like this pup as there is no reason he won't be normal in every sense of the word. Good luck w/your new pup!

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Hi Fletcher99

Actually there are several studies about the incident of testicular cancers in undescended testicles. The theory is that because the testicle is internal the body heat tends to increase the possibility of cancer developing in that particular testicle. It's not that dogs with an undescended testicle have a great incident in general of testicular cancer--it specifically relates to possiblity of cancer developing in the the retained testicle.

But beyond that and the other things that anyone with a Doberman might go through there is no particular reason to not get this puppy. I know several owners who have gotten lovely males because of retained testicles.

If the testicle is not in the normal channel to the scrotum (in which case the vet can fish it out of there through the single incision which is normally used for neutering) finding the retained testicle does become a matter of abdominal surgery but although it's more expensive (just as a spay is more expensive than a neuter) it shouldn't be much harder on the dog--little bit more recovery time but nothing else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He will be coming home with us soon.

We decided yesterday to get him. I will post some pictures soon. He looks like an amazing pup and we are very excited for his arrival.

Thanks again for all the posts.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
fletcher99 said:
Hello again.

Has anyone had a Dobe with and undescended testicle? I am looking a pup who was the pick of the litter but his left testicle is undescended. I have an opportunity to get him and I really like him.

I've read that cancer can develop if the dog isn't neutered. He will be neutered but are there other concerns that I should be aware of? Does this affect the dog in any other way? Is cancer still a problem even if neutered?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
One of mine had an undescended testicle that never dropped, he was also the pick puppy, had great conformation, very nice head piece, and good personality/temperament for the ring and we all hoped his testicle would drop.
But just know they rarely ever drop if they haven't already by 8 weeks.
So if you are wanting to show him in conformation I would pass on that particular puppy. The undescended testicle will not affect your Doberman at all other than the fact he can't be shown in conformation, he will still make a fantastic pet and companion and can still compete in performance events and pretty much everything else.
Since the testicle can be cancerous, you are very right to neuter him. The neuter will cost more since the surgery is more invasive. Congrats on your new addition, please post pix =)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I friend of mime oh about 2 years ago had the same thing happen to them.. They got the puppy at 8 weeks and the Testicle on one side had not dropped.. Other than that he was wonderful. At almost 16 weeks when the had the appointment to have it removed, it dropped, Late bloomer I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts