Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. King is almost 2 now(2 in May).

We have been having issues with him at night lately. Unfortunutely we let him sleep in bed when he was a puppy so he is sleeping in our bed. Through out the night he will wake up and walk around the house whining(wanting to go outside).
I feel him almost being 2 he should be able to hold his bladder and not need out.
We always let him out right before bed.

So he wakes up and whines, I bring him back to bed but he doesn't sleep he just sits in bed and whines and the second I move a foot, arm etc he bolts out of the bed and walks around the house crying.

I put him in his crate and he lasts a little bit but then starts crying again.

I don't understand why he's doing this, we sleep for no more then 7 hours, you think he could hold it. urg. We have been having sleepless nights because we are trying to break him out of this habit but it just isn't working.

Any help or advice is welcome.

Kim & King

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Your going to have to go back to square one, so get used to sleepless nights for a while :) train him like you would a puppy, introducing him to the crate. Keep it positive, comfy, and remember patience is a virtue, good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He still uses his crate for when we aren't home and loves it, I don't want to have to crate him at night I like the fact that he sleeps in bed as my husband works nights mostly so it's nice to have him there and out of the crate. I just don't know how he got to this point of needing to go out every night at 3AM. That is what I need to get him out of!

silly dog habits!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Strider used to wake me up in the night or very early in the AM. I used to get up and let him out.....and I noticed he just liked to get out and check things out. So...then I started using a stern NO when he tried to wake me up to go out....and then he would just flop back down and go to sleep until the morning. So with Strider it was just more habit then needing to go out. I would rule out any bladder issues with your guy, and if he's fine. Just start training a new behavior.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I, too, would make sure there is no medical stuff going on. Do you have outdoor lighting that will allow you to see what he's doing when you let him out? If he is urgently peeing, than I cannot fault him for waking you and perhaps a veterinary visit is in order.

Do you or can you remove water a couple of hours before bed?

Can you increase exercise so that he is actually tired and needing to sleep at night?

Can you close the bedroom door so there are fewer options and less to think about?

Dogs who don't wake me up get to spend the whole night all comfy in bed with me. Dogs who do wake me up are let outside and then crated for the rest of the night. This makes the point pretty quickly.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Strider used to wake me up in the night or very early in the AM. I used to get up and let him out.....and I noticed he just liked to get out and check things out. So...then I started using a stern NO when he tried to wake me up to go out....and then he would just flop back down and go to sleep until the morning. So with Strider it was just more habit then needing to go out. I would rule out any bladder issues with your guy, and if he's fine. Just start training a new behavior.
Bless you for putting him in bed, with the two of you.

My Amy is perfect in bed, however, I have to finger pick her skin and belly rub her with one finger...to dose off the entire night.
Did I say, first 10 minutes, she flops her head on my anckles.
She also sleeps with her back resting on the side of my legs...I find this so loving, I can't even sleep now without my old girl.
If my backed is turned to her, I will wedge my palm between my back and her's...for 5 minutes or so.
Yes, she has me trained, but its worth every minute.

When King wakes up (middle of night)...hubby needs to belly rub him to put quickly back to sleep...hopefully, this is doable.
For me, its a small price to pay (without going outside) and dobie needs the xtra contact...for being so needy of human love.
And Hi from St. Thomas, ON.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. King is almost 2 now(2 in May).

We have been having issues with him at night lately. Unfortunutely we let him sleep in bed when he was a puppy so he is sleeping in our bed. Through out the night he will wake up and walk around the house whining(wanting to go outside).
I feel him almost being 2 he should be able to hold his bladder and not need out.
We always let him out right before bed.

So he wakes up and whines, I bring him back to bed but he doesn't sleep he just sits in bed and whines and the second I move a foot, arm etc he bolts out of the bed and walks around the house crying.

I put him in his crate and he lasts a little bit but then starts crying again.

I don't understand why he's doing this, we sleep for no more then 7 hours, you think he could hold it. urg. We have been having sleepless nights because we are trying to break him out of this habit but it just isn't working.

Any help or advice is welcome.

Kim & King
Thinking outside the box. Is King neutered? How long has this been happening. The reason I ask is that I have had situation where a bitch living in the neighbourhood was in season and the dog was restless like that until that season passed. Just a thought.
Or he may have a UTI?

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,616 Posts
Coco hasn't been crated for almost 2years now. She sleeps on her bed in our room. Well this week she is sleeping in bed with me because hubby is gone....shhhh don't tell. Coco does not wake me up every night but if she really needs to go outside she always let's me know. I don't love getting up in the middle of the night like a zombie but I don't want to clean up a mess either so if she has to go out she goes. Once she is back in she races upstairs to go back to sleep. :butfly:

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Coco hasn't been crated for almost 2years now. She sleeps on her bed in our room. Well this week she is sleeping in bed with me because hubby is gone....shhhh don't tell. Coco does not wake me up every night but if she really needs to go outside she always let's me know. I don't love getting up in the middle of the night like a zombie but I don't want to clean up a mess either so if she has to go out she goes. Once she is back in she races upstairs to go back to sleep. :butfly:
If the 3:00am belly rubs don't work (to establish renewed sleep)...a quick trip outside, is in order / & hubbys job (tell him for me)...lol

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Vet check for any medical issues.
If none and he just wants to go out just to see whats going on, then he is getting what he wants, by you giving in, you let him out. He should be able to hold it for several hours if no medical issues. Do not let him drink any water 2 hrs before you take him out for the night.
Lots of excersice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, really helpful tips!

It's definitely isn't medical his check up recently was fine, it's all habit for him. I'm going to close the door tonight and see if a really stern NO helps.

He gets TONES of exercise so thats not it, and usually goes back to bed after he gets outside.

I will see how the tips work for me tonight and status you all tomorrow... Wish me luck :)

Thanks for the advice all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts