Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

If cropping is banned, what will you do?

• Long and floppy or short and pointy, I'm with the Dobes through thick and thin!

Votes: 122 47.3%
  • Would no longer own a Dobe if it could not be cropped.

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • Would continue to love the breed and fight to reverse the ban.

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • Not quite sure.

Votes: 12 4.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not to drag this into the ground or anything :) But I think this has been a great conversation and that we've all at least learned how each other feels about it.
Thought a poll would be neat to get the numbers straight.

This is an anonymous poll, nobody can see who voted for what. Of course you can tell your vote it you want to :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great idea TracyJo.

Even though this is an anonymous vote, I went with the "Long and floppy or short and pointy, I'm with the Dobes through thick and thin!"

But my vote kind of doesn't really count, because as mentioned in other posts, in my entire life, cropping has been illegal here. So I haven't experienced anything other than natural ears. To me, that's just how a dobe looks! That doesn't mean that I dislike cropping, or am against cropping. Actually, I find the cropped look quite exotic! I do feel that you should have the right to choose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im with Jedski on this and have voted the same for the same reasons, as we cannot crop in the UK also, but had you added docking on the poll, i am still not sure what way to go when this ban comes for us:sadcry:

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I voted Would continue to love the breed and fight to reverse the ban

There is something about nicely cropped ears that appeals to me, I wouldnt love my doberkid any less if he had floppy ears, but I am glad that I am able to make that choice. I do think that Natural Ears have a "softer look" which appeals more to some people....they are all cutie's! ;)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Boy was this a long thought out thing for me. I am kind of for number 1 and 3 as having Dobes with both cropped and non I love my dogs both ways. I feel that it is the owners choice if they want to crop their dog as long as it is done the right way by a licensed Trained Vet under the correct settings and the owner is willing to take on the responsibility ,time and care it takes to get the ears to stand
Point-I was watching Dog Whisperer on Sunday about the Great Dane in the first couple of shots when it showed it as a new puppy, the ears were cropped and up in stakes.. then later in the show the dog is 18 month or so and the ears are floppy llaying on top of it's head. the same is true of the older dog. I am sure the breeder was beside herself!!! Why go to all that trouble to crop the ears if you as an owner are not going to put the effort in making them stand!!! just my 4 cents! (inflaction!)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Long and floppy or short and pointy, I'm with the Dobes through thick and thin

I love the cropped look! I will continue to crop and dock as long as i can, however, at the end of the day i love the doberman. Ears dont make the dog, i am with them through thick and thin!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts

Hey a dobe's a dobe to me :)

But I still hope against the non cropping bans though, just for the best interest in the welfare of the dogs and what actions will be taken to still try to crop them "underground". Not to mention the RSPCA's time being taken up chasing cropped dogs rather then doing something worthwhile, JIMHO.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I love the cropped ears, but I would still own the breed.
Honestly though, if we weren't allowed to dock, Imight reconsider. Since the Doberman doesn't have much hair, those long tails are weapons.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A Dobe is a Dobe. I like both floppy and cropped about equally, though I like cropped a bit more. I'd have a Doberman either way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I choose "Would continue to love the breed and fight to reverse the ban." because i have never had uncropped dobes. also i kind of feel the crop is what makes the doberman pinscher the dobe i have come to love...... IMO if we werent allowed to crop looks wise we would just have a dirrerent coloured wimenrienre(sp?) does that make sense???

I will ALWAYS love the breed but these are just my feelings.

·
Registered
491 Posts

I'd love the breed even if they had no ears at all! The size, or the cut of the ear does not make these magnificent dogs any less than what they naturally are---the TOTAL BEST !!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doesnt really affect me here in the uk, only ever known dobes with floppy ears (awwwww) lol.
I think cropped ears look fine.It isnt legal here though. Id probably still buy a dobe even when the uk docking ban comes in here too, theres just something about the breed that i love no matter what:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I believe that I will always own a Dobe. However, if cropping/docking were banned, perhaps my second or third dog would be a Malinois. I've always been interested in getting a Malinois, but in the end, I just LOVE the look of the Dobe. I can't compare personalitites because I've never owned a Mal. Right now, our second dog is a Dobe. If I get a third dog, it would be a really tough decision... Dobe or Malinois. Perhaps a cropping/docking ban would make it a little easier to get a different breed as a second or third dog..but in the end... DOBES RULE!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
"Long and floppy or short and pointy, I'm with the Dobes through thick and thin!". I prefer the softer look of floppy ears but also like the tails docked. I've owned a couple with cropped ears so i am not against it. The bottom line is a Dobe is a Dobe regardless of how it is altered. The number one thing i like about the breed isn't there appearance it's there personality.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I will always have a dobe nomatter cropped or docked..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I prefer the cropped ear, so would fight to prevent the ban from coming into effect at all. When I consider the dogs I've previously owned before my dobe, all of them had naturally errect ears - except my first, lab/shep his kinda stuck out to the sides like handle bars on a bike. Personally I like the look of any dog with it's ears up over a dog with floppy ears.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts