Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:punk: Hi! My puppy just her ears cropped. They just took the stitches out yesterday, and told me that in 2 days they would crop her ears. Isn't the vet supposed to tape their ears right after the stitches come out?

Keri and Roxy :eek2: :punk: :3dbiggrin

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
DobermanLover4evr said:
:punk: Hi! My puppy just her ears cropped. They just took the stitches out yesterday, and told me that in 2 days they would crop her ears. Isn't the vet supposed to tape their ears right after the stitches come out?

Keri and Roxy :eek2: :punk: :3dbiggrin
I am afraid I dont understand, you say they were cropped 2 days ago and then you say in 2 days they will crop again? Please explain further, thanks

DA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK- Roxy got her ears cut 12 days ago, and then they put this plastic crown thing on her head. She was supposed to get the crown off 10 days after she got them cropped. But, she got the crown off a few days ahead of time, so she was free of anything but stitches on her ears. Then, yesterday, we went to the vet, so that they could take the stitches out. They are still flopping over, and we thought that they would tape her ears right then and there. But, they said that in 2 days they would tape them. Do you get what I am saying?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
My breeder immediately put braces on my girl's ears (and his other pups) The key is that they don't cover or hinder or even touch the stitches or cuts at all. It's a neat brace, his own design. So I only ever took the brace off once a week and reapplied a new one, unless she got it dirty or bent before that. She never even bother with her ears, scratching or anything, I think because they never did flop or hang at all to get irratated. But I think the vet I worked for (this was a few years ago) would wait a few days before doing anything to the ears either, he didn't have a brace design or anything, just taped.

Everybody has their own way of doing things ya know. But I LOVED the quickbrace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My vet Had me leave my Dukes ears alone until they healed and then taped them up. I was in a panic but they turned out great.And so did my candys ears until one got broken. So I guess there is alot of ways of doing things

Carol

·
Banned
375 Posts
no leavin ears open is great because they heal better... then you dont have to worry about infection while being wrapped up with open wounds getting no air... hmm hope that helps

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wowww.... IMO I would not do it that way considering that, Yes it is true that more air will help the healing process but at the same time you have to remember that pups heal fast because they Grow fast. :eatchicke

So now keeping the growing fast in mind I would try to maintain an erect for as much as possible to insure that you are not, Building up the ear, and then just breaking the new structure when it flops over.
When ever we changed out lokis tampons we would only give him a few minutes of breathe time just to let him relax but we avoided the ears any time to "break" and then need to heal more.

once the cup came off, the tampons went in.

You can still see that the edges are a little pink but shiny from the triple antibiotic.

When you pickup a pup they should still have their cup on with the edges of the crop exposed. after two days I would then Daily break off the scabbing and then cover it with triple antibiotic so the ear would heal up smoothly.

Here you can roughly see that the edges are exposed for cleaning and open to fresh air.

LoKi has a show crop "Long crop" done so it took some time for him to get them nice n thick and strong. I tampon'd for awhile and then when it was only the tips that were floppy I used breath right strips and "skin bond" which might be tricky to find in your area, Only available at those medical supply stores, Be sure to call before you make the drive to be sure they have it.
Here is a pic of the breathe right strips in action.

When properly taped they should give you a good three days. I would change them every two to three days, Tape and tampons are cheap.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My vet has a brace that fits inside the ears without being taped on the outside.. that way the edges will heal but the ears will still be taped up.. Work for us!
Dobermans Rule!

·
Banned
375 Posts
hmmm.... i had the rack... which didnt hender the surgical area but kept the ears completely stable... there was no problem keeping them stable... but my blue shook her ears loose from the darn rack three days before they were to be wrapped... hmmm now they are tapped up normally but she hates that to but not as bad as the rack...

anyone see the rack?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Vet Did My Dukane's Ear's All The Time I Didn't Had To Do Nothing With Them But One Day Dukane Scartch One Tape Off Oh Did He Bleed I Had To Rush Him In They Keep Him Over Night I Didn't Have To Pay$ Now The Vet Save His Ear . But I Did Had Prombles With Him From Scratching I Gave Him Raw Hides To Chew On So He Dont Hurt His Ears. To Keep Dukane Busy. Now They Are So Nice Stright Up The Ears Are I Thank My Nice Vet...for Helping Me Out .

·
Extraordimary
4,923 Posts
DobermanLover4evr said:
Just because the stitches came out doesn't mean the incision is healed. The incision must be healed, no scabs before one starts posting/wrapping the ears.

·
Registered
190 Posts
whiteandblue said:
that is correct... does anyone have a dobe with wide based ears... how long did it take for that dobes ears to stand up properly...

No answer on that one!

between two months of posting up to a year and a quarter was the longest I have come across.

It all depends on width and THICKNESS, some dogs ears will grow thicker and therefore will post faster. Ones with thinner ears take logner to stand on their own.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am gonna go get Gunners retaped tommorrow, because they have a tendency to lean inwards bad, and i was told he had bad pockets. But imgonna get them retaped, then the Friday after Daisy will get her Show Crop

·
Registered
45 Posts
With Loki, the vet cut and stitched the ears. His ears were posted to a plastic crown. The crown had stitches securing it to Loki's head. The edges were not bothered at all. Here is the different part.....the crown was left for, I believe 6 weeks. We went back and the stitches were removed as well as the crown. Loki's ears stood immediately since that day. They never flopped and we never had to tape. It sounds like this was unusual. Pretty easy actually. Loki has a long show crop as well. Now...the tips curl a tiny bit, but I think it is cute and I don't plan on showing Loki. I had him fixed because he is a WZ (albino factored doberman).

·
Banned
375 Posts
that is so cool... prince were cut in a med to long show crop... on the longer side.. and my girls ears are alreadcy small :( but she was cut to what would consider hers to be a long show on her...

·
Banned
375 Posts
FiReBReTHa said:
No answer on that one!

between two months of posting up to a year and a quarter was the longest I have come across.

It all depends on width and THICKNESS, some dogs ears will grow thicker and therefore will post faster. Ones with thinner ears take logner to stand on their own.

hmmm i just hope they stand up... i know his bases are standing finally... now we are on our second taping and i hope they stand at least up a little more each time... tasneems ears are standing so well just the tips flopped... his ears are kinda thin so i hope they dont take up to a year i feel sorry for the little guy..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts