Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum. But I wanted to see how long everyone that cropped their dobe's ears, had them taped for??

Bruno is 14 weeks and got it done at 8.5 weeks. His ears are standing fairly well right now. I'm impressed. But we were thinking of doing one more week of tapping. So I just wanted to see what other ppl thought/did :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! He's got the medium crop...I think they look okay now. But don't want to mess them up after coming this far ;)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I didn't stop until about 8 months of posting.....then i had a few months of the breathe right strips for the floppy tips with a little curling......She also has a long show crop..... Has your guy starting teething yet, the ears usually take a turn when teething....A shorter crop takes the shortest time to stand. At 14 weeks, I would recommend posting until they stand on a regular basis. Even if they stand now, watch them because they could start to flop within a day, and then they need to be reposted again.... If your anything like me, since this was my first, I posted religiously, because this is one thing I didn't want to make a mistake on.....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow, his ears look great!! With Lex she was cropped at about 8 weeks and I posted till about 6 or so months of age. I had taken the posts off a few times prior for a small length of time, but they would start to droop. Just make sure to massage them upwards.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the info (and compliments).

His ears have been out for 2 days now (that picture was taken yesterday)...still standing tall. But yes, he's teething right now and about to loose his first tooth (hehe). We're giving him a bit of a breather period. So far the tips aren't folding and it's standing pretty well. But yes, as you said Kratty, he is teething and you never know. So maybe a few more weeks of tapping. I just don't want them to flop after all this hard work lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had Darmok's ears cropped when she was 8 1/2 weeks old. My vet likes to do them between 8 -12 weeks of age. He refuses to crop after a pup is 12 weeks old. He taped and at the end of 10 days, took the stitches out and tapes off, and they stood straight from that day on.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, I posted Ava's ears until she was about five months, then we used the breathe right strips for several months after that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't want to sound stupid, but what are the breath right strips? I've never heard of them before lol.

Oh and we do massages his ears up too :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Breath right strips are the magical little adhesive strips that let me be able to sleep with the lumberjack that wants to saw logs all night beside me!

Seriously, you can find them at your local drug store or walmart, they adhere to a person's nose and pull the nostrils outwards opening the breathing passages better. By putting them on dogs ears they also flex the ears keeping them from drooping. Seeing as good as your pups ears look now, if one were to start drooping, a breathe right strip may be all that's needed to get it back where it should be.

But you be the judge, as you said he's teething, so if they start really falling just get them back into the posts. Keep up the good work, clearly you are doing a good job with Bruno!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhh lol I gotcha. I would have NEVER thought of that LOL I'll remember that if he happens to droop down. I know we are posting his ears up for another week at least after this lil breather period. His ears are a little dry inside so I want to give them some air. Still they are standing nicely. But he only got them out yesterday.

But thanks again for the great help!! :) Greatly apperciated. I'm learning new things each day :D

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
If you decide to use the breathe right strips, I recommend to use skin bond as the adhesive to help hold them in place. My local pharmacy was able to order it for me. Its a safe adhesive that will hold the strips in place for about a week before it comes loose naturally. It even holds up to rough play, but it does not last long if your doggy playmates likes to suck on them...It cleans up nicely with the unisolve adhesive remover. The strips adhesive does not bond well on the ears alone. You might have to trim some of the ear hair before using the strips also....just a little more info....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
we posted Cody's ears for a bout 6 months and one was still a little floppy - sometimes - he could hold it up when he wanted too. His ears were great and then at bout 16-17 weeks when he started teething they flopped so keep an eye on them. I guess too much energy goes into teeth to keep their ears up. :)

cc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Breathe right strips are these things for humans when they sleep(snoring) or in general for people who are congested. It holds the nose open. You can find them at drug stores, Wal-Mart, etc. Their website is www.breatheright.com They have several kinds, but if you're doing ears, don't get the VaporAction ones cuz that'd be cruel :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maximus went to the vet today for his interview to get his ears done. The vet won't do it. First, the vet tech went on and on about how painful it is and how the dogs howl and all this. Then the vet came in and said that Maximus is really big to "supposedly" be 11 weeks and 3 days. He said Maximus K. is not is candidate for ear cropping due to thin cartilage and a crease down the middle. He said that there was a 50% chance they wouldn't stand and if it were his dog, he wouldn't do it. SO it appears that natural ears are the way of life for our red boy.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Caraboo said:
Maximus went to the vet today for his interview to get his ears done. The vet won't do it. First, the vet tech went on and on about how painful it is and how the dogs howl and all this. Then the vet came in and said that Maximus is really big to "supposedly" be 11 weeks and 3 days. He said Maximus K. is not is candidate for ear cropping due to thin cartilage and a crease down the middle. He said that there was a 50% chance they wouldn't stand and if it were his dog, he wouldn't do it. SO it appears that natural ears are the way of life for our red boy.
that is Okay! I know that Max will be just as happy with natural ears as cropped ears! He will look handsome either way I bet! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hey thats okay it saves you and Maximus the trouble of posting ears! lol I think Duchess's ears stood by the time she was either 5-6 months old...and she got them done around 8 weeks. I've heard that sometimes it can take till they are a year or so old! maybe even a year and half. Every week we had training...and our breeder would retape the ears...and she was the first puppy for her ears to stand...one week she would come in with her splints off for the day...and one would not hold quite all the way up...then the next week they stayed up the whole day and so we see how it went with the splints off...and they started to fall around the third day into the week...and so then that next week she resplinted them...and then the next time we went back VOILA! They looked awesome and we tried another week without the splints one more time and they stood! I remember I was always weird about the way she laid down ...I always wanted to make sure her ear was standing...and she wasn't laying on it lol But they stood every since.

·
Registered
365 Posts
frznbuns said:
that is Okay! I know that Max will be just as happy with natural ears as cropped ears! He will look handsome either way I bet! Good luck!
Totally agree with frzbuns, I love them either way. No matter what style of ears, he's always going to be your gorgeous Max either way. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts