Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I am new here and new some information. :) I live in Southern Maryland and am looking for a place to have my new puppies (2) ears cropped. Do you know of a good place in Maryland? Also, my puppies seem to be very bright, when should you start training them? Ah, my puppies are about 9 weeks now.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi and welcome. Most puppies have cropping done when they are in their breeder's care. This is a very challenging procedure that not just any vet can do, as I'm sure you're aware. It takes a good deal of finesse and aftercare for the best looking crop possible. Have you contacted your breeder to discuss where the dogs should be cropped, or who they reccommend?

That being said, are your pups siblings, and what are their genders?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Congrats on the new babies ! The first questions I will leave to the others, the second about training ~~ in my opinion, never to young to start the basics. If they are as bright as you think, and being Dobes they are quick as whips, start doing little things now. Dont expect alot or have alot of attention span :p, dont tell them to sit and expect them to stay there for a minute LOL. But if I was you, I would do other things to stimulate them to use their minds... hiding toys, getting them to use their noses, hiding treats under something... telling them to search or anything to use their noodles lol. Its great bonding time for you and your pups as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both are sibling and both are males. One red and one black. :) They love to wrestle! Both are teething so they kind of bite as well. LOL I am having so much fun with both and they eat pretty well.

I will check with the breeder and see what he has to say. I remember him saying that they were something like $65 per dog. BUt I was hoping for something closer to home. ( I had to travel 2 1/2 hours to pick these jokers up) I may just have to GPS my way to whomever does them. I been reading on-line with various opinions. Some people think it's cruel etc but I want my dogs to have a regal look about them. :)

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome by the way.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I would contact your local/regional DPCA chapter for recommendations of Doberman cropping vets in your area.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Welcome, I hope you stay around and LEARN LOTS! You will have your hands full, please educate yourself well and GOOD LUCK ! :) ps I would enroll in puppy class NOW; price range on ear cropping will probably run you anywhere from $300-$600 (give or take ) per puppy just fyi
pps WE LOVE PICTURES =)

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cropping should be much more expensive than $65; you are looking at around $300 or more. Dr. Sophia Koster DVM is in New Jersey and well worth the drive. Here's a link to her work: Millstone Animal Hospital - Crop Pictures

Dr. Merry Fitzgerald DVM also does ear cropping and is located in New York: Fitzgerald Veterinary Services

I think you have far greater concerns than cropping at the moment. Purchasing two siblings, males at that, was not a well thought out or researched decision.

Why NOT to have two males:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/65952-can-i-get-second-male-if.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/63670-aggresion-two-males.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/63263-male-male-aggression.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/northwest-us-region/63733-two-males.html
You get the idea....

Why NOT to raise siblings:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/65881-absolutely-excellent-article-littermate-syndrome.html
Leerburg | Raising Two Pups at a Time: Why It's a Bad Idea

To get started:
****Helpful Puppy Links****

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Can someone also link some good articles on basics like feeding, crate training, puppy training, etc ( i dont know how or i would) This OP will need help and has come to the right place :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My suggestion would be to bring one back to the breeder. like others have said, cropping is the least of your concerns at the moment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok you guys have me really concerned now. Almost on the verge of panick. The breeder had no problem selling me two males. Also, when I visited the breeder he had about 9 or more males meet me at the gate and around 5 females as well on his property. He told them that I was ok and they accepted me into their yard and home. In fact, I ended up petting each because they came up to me demanding attention.

As far as the ear cropping, he explained that his Vet was charging $65. I am not sure if it's per ear which could be what he meant. But I plan on calling him tonight.

I currently have been spending plenty of time with each pup and so have my daughters (10 & 8). Both pups seem to be enjoying the attention. But after reading what you posted , how on earth is the breeder able to have so many Dobermans and they all get along like that? I am able to write this response, so I did survive. LOL But I was surrounded by at least 9 males. they had an eye on me and watched me the whole time but eventually came up to me to let me know I was ok. LOL PLease give me some insight!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
There are people who can maintain males together, some for a little while and very few for a long while, I'm not going to go into detail about the breeder's methods of maintaining their own males- the problem is that they left YOU to try it as well. It was irresponsible of them to set a puppy owner in this situation and their only motive could have been money- that's scary.

Please, any attitude in my post is directed 100% towards the breeder, I really hope you all the success with your babies.

I hope I'm not out of line, but I wouldn't blame anyone who considered rehoming one puppy in a situation like this, IMHO it would be giving both puppies a chance to live a stress free life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Abby thank you!

I am not looking at your post as having any attitude towards me. I understand that you are trying to help and I appreciate the help. :)

I am now looking at the breeder differently myself now. My girls are now attached and would be heart broken. A month and a half ago, our dog passed away. This would be double at this point. :(

I just don't know what to do now. :( So far they are fine but I do not want any problems later.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Honestly, I would NOT trust any vet that is charging $65 for ANY surgical procedure??

And as far as why your breeder has so many dogs..... my thought is that they are running a mill :( Producing more puppies and making money is (IMO) probably their biggest or only concern and I am sorry that you were not educated prior to purchasing your pups. While you are somewhat to blame (because you should have done your homework as well) you are not alone and MANY of us have purchased pups from non-reputable breeders at some point. I believe your breeder is the bad guy in this. What you can do now is READ, EDUCATE YOURSELF as much as possible on what to expect, how to deal with problems when they arise, because they WILL arise and ask lots of questions from people who want to help you.
By the way, who is your breeder?

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it ok to post his name and number here?

I have had a Doberman in the past and just enjoyed the experience. He was a rescue and the best dog I ever had. So my purchasing two more just seemed like the wise thing to do. He was the sweetest dog ever!!! My belief is that Dobermans are just the best period but I have never seen this side of Dobermans before. I guess I do have a lot to learn and will read every page I can.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I wouldn't post his number.

I understand your girls being attached, but you need to think about their safety and your pups' safety. What if they get into a fight with one of your daughters nearby? They could potentially injure one of your girls unintentionally. They will also do a lot of damage to each other and you'll end up with sone serious vet bills. I don't mean to come off as a dooms day psycho, just want to make you aware that owning two male siblings is very serious.

Like Adara mentioned, I'd rehome one through a reputable rescue. I really don't think you should send one back to that "breeder".

I'm having a very hard time believing this man had 9 male dobermans running loose together. I'm certainly not accusing you of lying, but could it be possible you are mistaken? It's sounds as crazy as someone claiming their male Doberman weighs 120lbs.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
What scares me most is that u have children AND two males. Once those dogs grow up, there WILL be a dog fight. Ur kids could very easily get hurt. When dogs are fighting, they don't think first, they just bite. If a human is close, they will get bit. I accidently let two adult males together once. I ended up under them. Both arms bitten. 14 holes in one arm. 7 in the other. It was horrid.
Also, having two puppies at the same time almost always ends up bad for the dogs. One ends up the bully and one very unhappy submissive dog.
Any breeder that would sell two males to a family with kids is crazy.
Please rehome one. It may be a year or two when things go bad but more likely than not, it will happen. U will be much more attached in a year than u are right now.
It's just not safe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts