Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy just returned home this morning and her very tall ears are all taped and stitched up, hes got them taped up the the brace acrosse the middle, well her left ear is slightly tilted inward but its bothering me, after she gets the stitches out and i retape them using tampons you think itll be ok?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah it's be fine! Just leave it for now if it's only slight as not to irritate her freshly cut ears, and fix it later as you mentioned. Best of luck to you and daisy through the "ear training months"!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Lexis ears, can u give me tips on posting and tip so that she wont have bad pockets?

thanky

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Thanks Gunner, Lexy is my first dog to deal with the posting on, my other dobe from years ago was a rescue and already done. So I am by no means an expert. But with Lexus, I just made sure and this was stressed to me by the breeder to pull them upwards tauntly, not to hurt them, just to have them straight up before adhering them to the brace. I didn't use the tampoons and tape and stuff until the very end, when her brace was permenently off, and she had one ear that was a little stubborn. The brace I used kept them pulled upright.

Just keep them up, and when you have them down to retape, massage them upwards before retaping. Best of luck to your girl gunner!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with Lexus, an ear a little out of place will not ruin them, just be sure when they are re-taped to ensure that ear gets put in the proper position.

Here are my tips from my first taping experience...

you just have to be really patient when doing the taping. Its hard sometimes, especially with a puppy who's not cooperating but take your time to examine your taping job and don't be afraid to retape as often as you need to! My wife and i would often get discouraged after taking the tape off to see the ears appear horribly out of place (one ear turned in or out, another slanted off, etc.) but those days would get us extra motivated to pay careful attention to how the ears are standing when posted because thats how they'll come out!

When the tape is off, encourage your dog to use its ear muscles (perk up its ears) often by whistling and calling it. We changed the tape (and tampons) every 3 days or so and left the tape off until she couldn't hold up her ears on her own. Which sometimes was only an hour or two.

We were lucky because Abby's ears didn't take long at all. They were cropped at 7 weeks of age and we taped for just over 2 months before they stood naturally.

Good luck!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well this is my second, time but i want hers to be better than gunners did, but this is my first long crop, right now when she uses the muscles, they go horribly inwards, the vet wants to look at them tomorrow, possibly take her stitches out but for sure retape, i just dont think they need to be inward anymore than they are, i might post pics to show

·
Banned
375 Posts
it wont ruin them they are right but we all want our dobes to have perfect ears... and just do what you can to keep them strait... what i have done is take a pop sicle stick and not only taped them up but i also put one just long enough between the ears so the ears dont go inward... they stay strait up... i have to do that with tasneem cause her ears are so up.... but princes arent... they are kind of out... like a bat so i understand.. just be patient it will work out... may take a little more time but they will get better... plz post pics i wanna see them :D hugs hun liz

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexy's went very inwards during their "training" time too at a point. Once they had the firmness in the cartilage to stand instead of droop they leaned against eachother in the middle. I only noticed when she was out of her brace though. Just keep correcting them when you retape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts