Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to dobes, Capone & Bonnie. Both had their ears cropped at the same place, received after-care from the same vet, and yet only Capone's ears stood. We asked for a short cut on both, and received that with Capone, but Bonnie ended up with a cut somewhere between medium and long. Bonnie will be 2 yrs. on Dec. 25th and although we tried everything we could while we were getting her ears wrapped-after the cuts were done- (calcium, powder, vitamins, anything to make her cartilage stronger) nothing worked. Our vet told us that unfortunately we had spent our money on nothing and that some dogs' ears just don't stand. Had I known this would have happened, I never would have subjected her to getting her ears cropped. Now she looks somewhat ackward because her ears aren't natural and yet, they don't stand. Does anyone have any information on whether or not there's something than can be done at this point to get her ears to stand? I know it's kind of late, but I wanted to make sure that I've exhausted all options before I give up. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes try to pull them up with your fingers with the skin between the ears, if you can it will work. at the base of each ear . have the vet make a half moon incision . and cut out just the skin. then stitch them up . this will allow them to stand. you will probably have to use an elizibethean collar so whie thy heal the dog won't pull the stitches out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard before about a procedure whereby they "string" up the ears by running some kind of string under the scalp from one ear to the other. This of course leaves the ears up all the time. The last time I was at the vet who I've been going to for Irises ear's, I was curious and asked about this procedure. He said that it is not all that uncommon or complicated. According to him, the procedure is inexpensive and lasts about 7 years. Perhaps this is something you'd be interested in and could look into.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At this point....2 yrs. old, it is doubtful that you'll make them stand. How long did you post when they were done? My dog needed posting till he was about a yr. old. I just didn't quit until they stood. Once they've flopped for even a short time, it can really lessen the success. You could talk to a reputable ear cropper, but personally, if it were my dog, I would not put her through anymore.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I agree with Carrie, It's your choice of course, but I wouldn't put my girl through any surgical avenues either unless it was health related. Look at it this way, it gives her character ;-)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobetom said:
I've heard before about a procedure whereby they "string" up the ears by running some kind of string under the scalp from one ear to the other. This of course leaves the ears up all the time. The last time I was at the vet who I've been going to for Irises ear's, I was curious and asked about this procedure. He said that it is not all that uncommon or complicated. According to him, the procedure is inexpensive and lasts about 7 years. Perhaps this is something you'd be interested in and could look into.
I have one dog whose ears are strung..the only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner!

This isn't something that will work with every dog whose ears won't stand..what my vet told me was the best success rate is with dogs who have the base of the ear standing, and just the tips flop. That was the case with him..his problem was the leathers were too thick and heavy..the bigger he got, the less time the ears would stand when I took the posts out.

Prior to doing the surgery, he had me give the dog 1500 mg. of glucosamine daily for 90 days-while that helped considerably, it wasn't enough to get those ears standing perfectly. But I'd try that first.

It's a very minor surgical procedure..my dog came home with two dissolvable stitches in each ear. I was told to post them for two days-after that I had standing ears. And they DON'T stand rigid all the time..while he doesn't have as much of a range of ear motion as a dog with unstrung ears, he can move them around far more than I thought he'd be able to.

If a dog is going to be shown, this is a disqualifying surgery, and it wouldn't be worth taking the chance of losing my AKC privileges to do it with a show prospect. My dog had already washed out of the ring due to a retained testicle, so it really didn't make any difference. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with a pet quality dog.

I DEFINITELY would make sure I was using a vet with a lot of experience with corrective ear surgery..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no more surgeries

No.. I wouldn't put Bonnie through any more surgeries. It doesn't bother me enough to put her through that. I can't remember how long the aftercare went for. I just know that the vet told me that they would probably never stand, and we took his word for it. Now I regret it because it seems as though if maybe I had continued to take her in (since I paid quite a bit for unlimited wraps) it might have worked. However, ANN, I am curious about what you said about a half moon incision. It doesn't seem to be such a painful process. I don't want to put her through too much, but I would really love for her ears to stand. Could you give me some more information on that? I'm sure posting them now as they are wouldn't do anything, would it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts