Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do Dobes with cropped ears not standing look like?

My puppy was cropped and docked, but I prefer the floppier look than the standing up. He was show cropped already, and came from an excellent breeder. If I had my choice I would have had them natural.

If I don't post them anymore and they flop, will they look ok?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please continue posting. Natural ears are fine, but if the ears have been cropped they should be posted until standing. Just curious, but why did you buy a puppy that was cropped if you wanted natural ears? After cropping the ear leather can curl and flop back overt the head if not trained to stand.

Also, read your contract -- some breeders require cropped ears to stand for guarantees to apply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reputable breeders I found all cropped and docked their puppies, thus the reason for buying a cropped pup.

My first priority was to get a pup from great lines and wonderful temperament. The ear debate is low on the list and more of a preference. If cropped ears must be posted than thats what I will do.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Your breeder will probably be very irritated with you if you deliberately let the ears flop on the puppy s/he sold you. With a long show crop the ears could go a variety of different ways if they aren't posted and don't stand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if the ears are cropped, you should definately post them. Trust me, you will be happy once you see the final product and the ears standing. It's all worth the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts