Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll!
My boyfriend and I recently purchased an 8 wk old Dobie we named Paige. We both grew up with dogs but neither of us have ever owned or been around Dobermans before. Paige is now 11 wks old and today we had her ears cropped. She seems to be handling the stress of the days events well, however, if she thinks we are going to touch her ears she won't let us near her. I understand that she is really sensitive but how are we supposed to clean and care for her ears? We need some advice on keeping her still and calm while we clean and powder her ears.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
If she got the ears just done, I wouldnt touch them as I am sure they are quite sore.
Personally, until the stiches, I dont even bother with them, except for visual checks. You dont want to create a complex for the pup, or they will start messing with them and then when you start posting it will become a bad habit. When she messes with them, NO and redirect to get her mind off of them.
As someone else said, later once healed, treats are the way to go especially till she gets use to posting.
If the vet did a good job, should be no need for powder or polysporin or anything, let the stiches heal naturally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The breeder mentioned treats aswell. I'd like to just leave her ears alone but the vet (who is extremly well known in SoCal) gave us very specific cleaning and car instructions. I had to put her in the cone of shame today, When I came home to check on her at lunch she had been scratching and made herself bleed :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts