Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DT,

My name is Jack. I have been interested in bringing a Doberman into my family for a few weeks now and am researching the breed as well as how i would acquire a cropped and docked Doberman in the UK. I am not looking to purchase one right now, it would be several months, maybe a year from now as i want to be sure this is the breed for me however i am intrigued by the import process.

That said, my question/s is aimed at all cropped and docked Doberman owners in the UK:

Did you have yours Imported?

If Yes, which breeder did you choose?
If No, where did you get it from in the UK?

Also, i have seen this website popping up a lot: Cropped and Docked Doberman UK | Imported Doberman puppies for pets and security dogs. The website is very nice and it does have a fairly extensive amount of info on the breed. Are they a reputable provider? Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?

Any help on the above is much appreciated, i understand this forum seems to be mainly US based so if i'm asking in the wrong place it would be appreciated if you could direct me to somewhere that could better help me.

Kind regards,
Jack.

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
Welcome to DT. You will find a few other threads on this same topic if you do a search. Try to google search your search terms + "site: www.dobermantalk.com" as it sometimes works better than the forum search function.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I don't know too much about standards in Europe but I wouldn't purchase my puppy from what looks like a dealer? I would want to talk to the breeders about health testing, longevity in their lines...

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
This does appear to be nothing more than a puppy dealer. No different than buying a puppy from a pet store. Personally, if I lived in the UK I would do as most folks do. Natural ears and tails.

My reason? Because I would want the best possible dog from a truly reputable breeder, that I could totally vet. Health testing and documented titles in the sire and dam for starters. Good breeder support in the future. Ears and tails are trivial compared to temperament and health.
How would you get that from a puppy importer buying litters from some nameless breeder in Poland?

When in Rome.....

JMO
John
Portland OR

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Hi & welcome from Essex. :2smile:

There have been a few people from the UK that imported a c/d dobe from Europe but i don't think any are active on here anymore.

If you're open minded as to having a natural Dobe I'm sure Amelia would be able to give you good advice on who's reputable over here.

Sorry, I'm no help. I just rescue the Dobes people throw away.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
They are a broker, importing puppies and reselling them. I'd take anything they say about health testing on the parents with a very large grain of salt. Health testing in a lot of European countries can be very skimpy, so I'd insist on seeing hard copies of any health testing they claim if you do talk with them. Personally, I'd just as soon find a good breeder in England. I happen to prefer natural Dobes, and well-bred ones are hard to come by over here.

Reactions: Dandobermanowner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i've been emailing around and have seemingly found a couple of breeders which someone or multiple people has vouched for:

Lipar Land (Serbia)
Altobello (Serbia)
Tahi-réme dobermann (Hungary)
Kings of Darkness (Hungary)

I have been advised by a couple of people to steer clear of Serbian breeders, that said non were specifically named and the ones that have vouched for them have had a dog form them themselves.

I will continue my screening process but it is much harder than i originally thought finding a honest reputable breeder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe try Facebook Dobermann forums or pages. There are thousands of owners and some breeders of the dogs you have mentioned. Good luck and very smart of you to do the due diligence

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ Coops

"I have been advised by a couple of people to steer clear of Serbian breeders, " (Your words)

Here is the latest Autobello story. Posted here on DT today:

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/272633-incontinence.html

Caveat Emptor
This is a bit worrying. Dogs do have problems, not all are free from health problems and i'm sure the vast majority of dogs they have bred are fine. However the lack of support from Altobello is worrying. I have taken note.

And here's another story about Altobello on both mother and father side:

http://www.dobermantalk.com/product-reviews/272449-stay-far-far-away-breeder-vancouver-island.html

Honestly I don't know enough about European lines. I would advise that you reach out to Iceman, he's another member on here.
That case seems to be more of a problem with the breeder than the Altobello bloodline in general. I think its unfair to blame Altobello with this one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As another person said if you are open to natural ears and tail then there are many reputable breeders here in the UK. I would also strongly recommend having a chat with one of them even if you don't end up getting a puppy from them. Being experts they will help you decide if they are the right breed for you. I would recommend speaking to Newfords or Jojavik (they both have websites for contact details), from personal experience they were very helpful and both are active in showing their dogs (and winning titles!)

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
As another person said if you are open to natural ears and tail then there are many reputable breeders here in the UK. I would also strongly recommend having a chat with one of them even if you don't end up getting a puppy from them. Being experts they will help you decide if they are the right breed for you. I would recommend speaking to Newfords or Jojavik (they both have websites for contact details), from personal experience they were very helpful and both are active in showing their dogs (and winning titles!)

I'm wondering if the Newford you are referring to is the same one that RedFawn was talking about in post 11 of this thread?

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...n-breeder-recommendations-who-don-t-dock.html

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
I would not contact newford. She, Georgie on this forum, has done some pretty unforgiveable things IMO. Breeding to a dog with a known bad temperament, breeding another bitch (who killed her puppies) a second time, and "rescuing" a male doberman then conveniently breeding him to one of her bitches several months later. Not practices I would support or someone I would look up to as an "expert" in the breed. These are all things that have happened in the past 5 or 6 years.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/67981-masons-debut-weekend.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/24648-we-have-confirmation-puppies-go-go-go.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/26966-picking-pick-litter.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/32513-choosing-stud-dog.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/show-ring/37153-critique-ruby-please.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/38244-final-countdown.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/38440-theyre-here.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/44831-fao-dls-et-al.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so i just got a reply from Slobodan at Betelges. He is the first breeder to get back to me although being the last person i contacted.

He advised me about the UK import regulations and the various things needed to be done to avoid problems. He quoted 1500 euro for a 2 month old puppy and an additional 500 euro to keep the puppy until it is ready to be imported. In terms of transportation he is extremely flexible;

Plane (He advised this is expensive)
I can come and pick the puppy up myself (Best for him)
He can bring the puppy to Calais and meet me at the Euro Tunnel or meet at Frankfurt and complete the remaining paper work (500 euro)

Slobodan then went on the advise about the future litters planned and the expected dates they will be whelped. He seems very friendly, informative and is obviously very familiar with the importing process to the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to this, UKDobermans co uk got back to me. I asked for what proof they can offer in terms of health test documentation and which breeders they work with. Their response was:

"Full details of the health testing can be found on our website. We only disclose the breeders we work with after receipt of a deposit."

Personally, (Please say if i'm out of place in saying this) i think i should be allowed the know the name of the breeder/kennel the puppy has come from before i put down a non refundable deposit. In addition to this, their website simply states the health tests the breeders supposedly do, none of the puppies articles show pictures of the hard copy test results.

I think they need to work on their policies a little.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ok, so i just got a reply from Slobodan at Betelges. He is the first breeder to get back to me although being the last person i contacted.

He advised me about the UK import regulations and the various things needed to be done to avoid problems. He quoted 1500 euro for a 2 month old puppy and an additional 500 euro to keep the puppy until it is ready to be imported. In terms of transportation he is extremely flexible;

Plane (He advised this is expensive)
I can come and pick the puppy up myself (Best for him)
He can bring the puppy to Calais and meet me at the Euro Tunnel or meet at Frankfurt and complete the remaining paper work (500 euro)

Slobodan then went on the advise about the future litters planned and the expected dates they will be whelped. He seems very friendly, informative and is obviously very familiar with the importing process to the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to this, UKDobermans co uk got back to me. I asked for what proof they can offer in terms of health test documentation and which breeders they work with. Their response was:

"Full details of the health testing can be found on our website. We only disclose the breeders we work with after receipt of a deposit."

Personally, (Please say if i'm out of place in saying this) i think i should be allowed the know the name of the breeder/kennel the puppy has come from before i put down a non refundable deposit. In addition to this, their website simply states the health tests the breeders supposedly do, none of the puppies articles show pictures of the hard copy test results.

I think they need to work on their policies a little.
That website is infamous in the UK Dobermann community, i'm afraid. If you look up who created the domain name, and google them and their telephone number, you can find details all about them. They have C/D dobermann puppies all over the country for sale, last I heard they were being investigated for animal cruelty. I would avoid any dealers.

I'm afraid I cant recommend anyone personally, maybe you could try speaking to Keyala Dobermanns based in France, I believe she docks but may be able to assist you.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I still warn to stay away from Betegles. I've heard Fedor Del Nazi has a high amount of cardio in his lines and he's in ALL of their dogs. I've heard Betegles dogs have a wealth of health issues. If you want a dog that dies by the age of 4 by all means. But I highly suggest messaging Iceman and getting his opinion on a healthy, trustworthy European breeder who crops and docks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts