Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
My husband and I have just purchased a 11 week old red female doberman puppy. Our breeder had the ears cropped, stitches were removed a week or so later, the ears were rested for one day, and then the next day she posted them and we picked her up. I did not notice anything wrong until we went to change out the postings for the first time yesterday and found the she has two inner ear infections. The Vet advised us to leave her ears down until the ears heal (I was planning on doing this anyway). The question is....What did I do wrong? I only had her for 4 days before this happened. Is there certain ways to post the ears that are better then others? Will her ears stand after they are left resting for awhile?
This is my 2nd Doberman and I had no issues with the first, so I am just worried!

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm not sure about what you did wrong sadly but I do know this will not effect her ears standing. She's at the age right now where it's ok for them to be down forms few days. My pup had to have his down for two days and they went right back to standing perfectly after a few days of posting and they had completely flopped back over.

Hopefully someone else can help with the ear infections. Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Inner ear infection do not happen quite that quickly, esp if it was something you noticed right away. Maybe someone can help you with other posting options.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ear infection can be tricky to deal with and treat. Some dogs seem more prone to them than others (normally breeds with heavier ears; labs, cockers, etc). I have yet to see a Doberman (in person) with these kinds of ear issues. I have seen some pretty dirty ears but never an inner ear infection.

Disclaimer- I am not vet, I have just worked at a few vets and I groom. Dogs have bacteria and yeast in their ears naturally. If a dog gets an infections and you can smell it? NORMALLY the first thing you are smelling is the yeast. Anything that can get into the ear can cause an infection. If something falls in there and the dog cannot get it out, the bacteria and yeast will keep 'trying to rid of it' and the end result is the body producing too much of it; thus causing an infection.

Its really hard to pinpoint when the infection started, but if it bad enough for you to smell/see it I would assume it has been going on for more than 4 days. Most of the times when a dog STARTS to get an ear infection you don't even notice until you started to see the nastiness coming out, or you smell it. This is one of those things that it could happen and you would never know it was there until a week or two later.

In this situation I would not be putting any blame. After all it is an ear infection and they are very easy to cure. How are you posting her ears and how often to plan on posting? I would just make sure her ear canals are clean everytime you do, if they look dirty, go ahead and clean them when you have the chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ear infection can be tricky to deal with and treat. Some dogs seem more prone to them than others (normally breeds with heavier ears; labs, cockers, etc). I have yet to see a Doberman (in person) with these kinds of ear issues. I have seen some pretty dirty ears but never an inner ear infection.

Disclaimer- I am not vet, I have just worked at a few vets and I groom. Dogs have bacteria and yeast in their ears naturally. If a dog gets an infections and you can smell it? NORMALLY the first thing you are smelling is the yeast. Anything that can get into the ear can cause an infection. If something falls in there and the dog cannot get it out, the bacteria and yeast will keep 'trying to rid of it' and the end result is the body producing too much of it; thus causing an infection.

Its really hard to pinpoint when the infection started, but if it bad enough for you to smell/see it I would assume it has been going on for more than 4 days. Most of the times when a dog STARTS to get an ear infection you don't even notice until you started to see the nastiness coming out, or you smell it. This is one of those things that it could happen and you would never know it was there until a week or two later.

In this situation I would not be putting any blame. After all it is an ear infection and they are very easy to cure. How are you posting her ears and how often to plan on posting? I would just make sure her ear canals are clean everytime you do, if they look dirty, go ahead and clean them when you have the chance.
I was told to make my own posts out of tightly rolled paper towels, then to wrap the paper towels with medical tape (with sticky side out), then to place the post down in the ear( in the little pocket that is there), then to wrap the tape around each ear and connect the two ears with tape along the top of the head.
Does that make sense? haha!
I was also told I could use tampons for posts....

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
When we have puppies with sore or infected ears, down in the canal, we make short posts(with rolled paper towel just like what you described) that run from the little bump in the ear (sorry I'm terrible at describing instead of showing) to the tip, tape as per usual, and bridge across the top of the head, then the inner ear can be medicated, heal, and ears can still be posted.

Hopefully that makes sense or someone else can explain it better.
I can make a mock one on mabel and post a picture if you need it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts