Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Okay I stole this from someone else, but I decided it was a VERY good idea and if I posted it there, I wouldn't get as many responses.

SOCIALIZATION SCHEDULE

6:30 AM - Wake-up, breakfast, go out for a nice walk for about a half hour, meet some early dog walkers

7:00 AM - Go back into the house, help wake-up the kids for school

8:30 - 10:30 AM - Nap-time in crate

10:30 - 3:00 PM - Playtime with the babysitter, and her three dogs.

4:00 PM - Kids come home, play session with puppy, then relaxing with puppy (chew toy time!)

6:00 PM - Dinner in crate

7:00 PM - Walk for about an hour around the neighborhood, meet some new people and new dogs.

8:00 PM - Come back into house, chew time, relax time with kids.

10:00 PM - Bedtime in crate!

(On weekends, the only thing that changes is that she gets a walk around lunchtime, and some people usually come over, maybe three or four, but she HIDES she is so scared... Although she loves my Grandma and my Grandma has only been over once :))

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
It sounds like a good routine around the house. But you need to get her out to as many places as possbile and socialize her to everything and anything you can. Meeting and greeting people. Take her to pet stores, parks, lakes. Show her bikes, umbrellas, hats, big sunglasses...etc...

Anything and everything you can think of. Even the sound of those plastic bags your grocery's come in.

Be sure to this all while she is calm and if is scary to her take a step back and introduce a little slower.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
I would look into puppy kindergarten for her. Also, visit all of your friends and family within a reasonable driving distance with her in tow.

Have people that come over sit on the floor and ignore her until she goes over. (Some puppies are drawn to people having fun with a toy, others are more likely to come if the person is sitting quietly. See which works for her.) Try to make the world (and everything in it) a happy place for her.

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
The thing with socialization is that it's not just meeting other people and other dogs, it's experiencing as many different things as possible. Each new thing should be a very positive experience. Most puppies are pretty food motivated, so using extra yummy, delicious treats that they only get with new experiences can work really well. With a shy puppy you need to be extra careful that all the experiences are positive.

The most comprehensive socialization list I've ever seen is the one my trainer made for her german shepherd pup: Raising K9: Socialization Ideas. If I ever have a pup to raise again, I'll personally strive to do as much of her list as I can. I also think using the "rule of sevens" is great, even if your breeder did not do it: Properly Socialized by Pat Schaap. Socializing by the rule of 7's

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
but she HIDES she is so scared...
10:30 - 3:00 PM - Playtime with the babysitter, and her three dogs
4:00 PM - Kids come home, play session with puppy, then relaxing with puppy (chew toy time!)
I don't see any scheduled home training (even with toys) - just play & chew time, relax, dinner in crate...not much confidence building or learning going on.
She needs to go to permitted stores, needs introduced to vaccum / diswasher noises, car rides, etc.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Teka/Farah (still have not decided) cannot go to many places yet because she has not had all her vaccines. However today for example I loaded her in the crate drove to pick up raw bones. She visited three new people there. We then went to two different pet stores and visited the people there. We stopped at a friends and she played in their back yard and met their cat! We left there and went to the vets and she got weighed. All of this of course had to be done mostly in my arms but it still was good for her. Other people also held her. She then came home and played in the yard for about 10 minutes and then chewed on a bone. She is now flaked out on the sofa and has been for over an hour! ;)

At home you can create different surfaces for her to walk on, create noises like the vacuum, blenders, smoke detectors etc. But it's still home, where she is most comfortable. You have to slowly introduce her to stuff slowly however you need to do it.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha I was vaccuming today and she was running around, and I stuck it on my face so it made this loud sucky sound, and Brandy look rather worried, and ran over trying to apw it off! I think she thought it was attacking me lol. Anyway, we took her in the car to go to Starbucks and she was soo excited/nervous, she threw up everywhere! Oh dear.. I have to clean her little crate!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I posted one of these with my puppy awhile back. Here are some of the things we did to really socialize based on the responses I got back:
1. I went to a movie theater and hung out outside with a pocket full of treats. All people who wanted to come up to the puppy, I immediately asked if they would like to give her a treat. If you go on a Saturday afternoon, you will get lots of kid exposure and teenager exposure
2. Our movie theater had both escalators outside and stairs, so we went up the escalators several times and down the stairs (she got some very special treats as rewards for this)
3. We walked around outside the mall for a good half hour, just circling around and hitting all the exits. This gave us good exposure to baby strollers, wheelchairs, and lots of people again.
4. We hung out outside Starbucks at a table. If I was by myself, I would go through the drive-thru first so I didn't have to leave my pup by herself outside (I just can't do that :))
5. During Halloween our puppy went trick or treating with us-great for people with masks, crazy costumes obviously...do you have any town/city fairs, festivals, etc... coming up?
6. I took her to lots of different pet stores. Smaller ones were better than the Petco/Petsmart, as the owners/workers love interacting with your puppy. She got free treats from them, lots of attention and exposure to other dogs, and the store cats
7. We went on a weekly walk through a local town center
8. We did puppy classes for six weeks

Someone mentioned on my post a good idea about going to the hardware store. Maybe call ahead and see if they allow pets. We haven't done that yet, but I am planning too. My puppy is 7months old and I know her second fear stage is coming up, so I am planning on upping our social outings. I think it is good to get out somewhere new each week. HTH

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Good tips about the movie theater. I very rarely ever goto one, so I never thought about it.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
but she HIDES she is so scared...
10:30 - 3:00 PM - Playtime with the babysitter, and her three dogs
I don't see any scheduled home training (even with toys) - just play & chew time, relax, dinner in crate...not much confidence building or learning going on.
She needs to go to permitted stores, needs introduced to vaccum / diswasher noises, car rides, etc.
I see just over 10 hrs sleep..
Pups can need up to 16-20 hours a day sleep.
All the walking is great, but there is no room for advancement.
with the babysitter having 3 other dogs, is the pup getting enough attention

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see just over 10 hrs sleep..
Pups can need up to 16-20 hours a day sleep.
All the walking is great, but there is no room for advancement.
with the babysitter having 3 other dogs, is the pup getting enough attention
Haha well she does nap during the day a lot when the babysitter woman is there, and all the dogs play with eachother so I think she is.. But I could be wrong!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts