Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pele will be two next month. She just got her BH at UDC Nationals and I'm hoping to get her SchH1 in the next few months. After that I was debating on doing conformation with her. I had wanted to show her in the conformation classes at UDC nationals, but just couldn't take the time off work for that long (had already taken off a lot of time for the sieger show and other trials along with UDC). I'm just curious how she would fair, as I know it is extremely competitive and she is European bred. There are a few different photos so you can see her at different angles.

I know she could have a stronger back, which I think is her biggest flaw (since I can see it but am pretty much a complete newb when it comes to conformation), and could use more chest, etc., but I'd love to hear comments on any other strong or weak points, and if you think it'd be worthwhile for me to show her. And, of course, I know you really need to see the dog in person and have your hands on them before you really know. Just asking for opinions. ;)

Also, her pedigree, for anyone interested - Pele Friend of Mine - working-dog.eu

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still a bit flat, but much better than they were when she was younger! She'll never have those nice, tight, cat feet, though. I'll see if I can find a photo where you can actually see them. Lighting is always better outside so most of them are outside in the grass.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I think her low tail set could be a major obstacle-that's something usually considered pretty unforgiveable in the AKC conformation ring. It also looks like she could be cow hocked in the pictures. Straight front, lack of visible forechest.

She's short backed and appears square, and that's a good thing. Nice amount of underjaw. But I really don't think she has enough virtues to rise above her shortcomings. I'd enjoy her in areas where she can excell-I don't think AKC conformation is one of those areas. If I showed her in conformation, I'd focus on UDC or ADA. That's jmo, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to find an honest handler or breeder to evaluate her in the flesh for you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your honest opinion. I had no idea tailset was so important in the ring (which is why I'm asking you all for opinions!). :) I had a feeling she probably wouldn't do that well, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Thank you for your honest opinion. I had no idea tailset was so important in the ring (which is why I'm asking you all for opinions!). :) I had a feeling she probably wouldn't do that well, but wanted to see what you guys thought.
It's interesting how different faults are considered more or less serious in different parts of the world.

Overly rounded croups and low tail sets can occur anywhere, even in the best of families. They're evidently not penalized as heavily in other regions as they are here, and due to that they do appear to be a lot more common in those regions. Because they're penalized so heavily here, most croupy dogs are put in pet homes and never reproduce to pass the trait on.

My Razzle bitch suddenly became croupy when she was about 4 months old. We really didn't even know if it would be worth showing her for quite awhile. All we could do is wait and see if it resolved itself. Thankfully, it was just part of her growth cycles, and wasn't a permanent issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts