Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting or new dobie pup at the end of May. For our last dobie I used a wire kennel for crating. The only problem with the wire cages is they are a real pain to move around. This time I think I might try a plastic kennel. Do they make dividers for the plastic kennels so I can buy one kennel and just use the divider as she grows.

Haven't been able to find any plastic kennels that show a divider made for them. Anybody know of any? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Never heard of one. You can either buy or borrow a smaller crate to start off in then re-sell it on craigslist or somewhere similar, or just block off half the crate with a box or anything similar that will fit.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Hi Kevin :) Here's another thread that you may want to read - I made it when I was trying to decide between wire or plastic crates, and there are a lot of helpful posts. http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=3486

Anyway, from the info I gathered when I asked about this, there are no plastic crates that actually come with a divider, but you can use a plastic storage container in the back to partition off space - this is what I'm going to do. It's better than buying different sizes to accomodate the puppy as he grows.

There's a wire crate available that comes with a divider (again, see the link to the other thread), but from what I'm hearing, it sounds like more people use the plastic crates because the dogs seem to like them better because it's more "den-like" and they feel more secure.

Though a lot of people use wire crates and don't have problems with them. Get the crate that fits your lifestyle better - your puppy will most likely accept whatever kind you choose.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Look at Mr. Burns.........learning a lot I see.......good for you!

Reactions: kevinwike and Burns

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Overhere we use mostly use this crate, you can buy them in different sizes,we for ourselves have a smaller one for a puppy, and a bigger one when they grow up.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Yes I am, thanks! :D This forum is a great resource for practical information from Dobe owners!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just buy a big Vari-Kennel and then take up the xtra room inside with stuffies, toys, and pillows. You could even leave the puppies food dishes in. That way they don't have the room to go and pee in one corner and then lay down in the other.

·
Registered
891 Posts

That would be Ms. Burns!!!! :)

I have always used vari-kennels because thats what I had on hand, the two I have were purchased in 1979 so they have paid for themselves time and again. If you do decide on the wire you can purchase covers for them so they feel more den like.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I just buy a big Vari-Kennel and then take up the xtra room inside with stuffies, toys, and pillows. You could even leave the puppies food dishes in. That way they don't have the room to go and pee in one corner and then lay down in the other.
No, don't leave stuffies and pillows in there please. Some puppies chew and will swallow the contents and have blockage. Be very careful with the things you leave in the crate until you know your puppy really well. And even then, check everyday to make sure they are not chewing their bedding, what happens one day might not happen the next. If you are crate training, leaving food in there is also not a good option, as puppies need to be fed on a schedule so they also poo and pee on a schedule.

With the bedding, they might not one day, and might be bored the next and chew it. I use towels for puppies and take them away when or if they chew. They get dog beds and nice things later when they outgrow chewing on bedding. That will vary by puppy.

Only leave 100% safe toys in there, like Kongs and extra strong Nylabones, or Orbees that are the right size. Some people put a box in the crate.
Look in the paper, Craigslist, garage sells, or ask around if you want to borrow a smaller vari-kennel. I like using the wire crates, but use both - you can put a blanket over it to make it more den-like if you need to (make sure they don't chew it though, better safe than sorry is my motto with these michevious puppies:) !
Enjoy your new puppy!!!

Reactions: Lexus

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Just to mention - they make collapsible crates that are VERy easy to move. I love wire crates and use them preferentially, and move them around a lot. The only one that isn't moved and isn't easily collapsible is the one set up permanently on the first floor (Great dane sized) - many dogs rotate in and out, from my own to my tenants to visiting dogs. (Oh, and the one that the rabbit lives in!).

I have collapsibles in the cars too - to make them more secure just so they never accidentally collapse (I have had that happen twice when another dog bumped into them just the right way), I use carabiners to secure them. carabiners with LOCKS, that is :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts