Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Crate Training good or bad... Do you recommend it or is that itmakes them shy... both my babies are doing crate trainging during the day so they know where to sleep and where not to pee and poop....

but that seems to be the only thing that works with these two... My girls has seperation anxiety... where he is like give me my lovie and let me sleep im good... but she barks and whines for about fifteen to see if i am going to come back then she gets quiet because i think she wears her self out...

Im not sure if this is the way to do it... or if it is good... do i use it for discipline rather than a water gun with 50% vinegar 50%water... hmmm water gun works miracles when they are in here with me but that is all it works for because they run...

I hope you guys have some ideas because im clueless at this point :help_up_2

·
Registered
266 Posts
why do you put vinegar in a water gun? to squirt them? or clean their messes?!

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elle said:
why do you put vinegar in a water gun? to squirt them? or clean their messes?!

well they dont like the smell and this is a disclipine that niether hurts them or anything it is basically to get there little attention. because they know we are talking to him and they just keep going and going. so we just squirt them in the butt cheek with it. and they stop... and know we are trying to get their attention...

but im in the process of crate trianing is that better for discpline... :help_up_2

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
crate training should never be used for punishment - the crate should remain someplace that they can go to that is their own, a place they feel comfortable in.

crate training is useful for housebreaking - a good rule of thumb to figure out how long your dog can hold it is to take their age in months and add one - if your dogs are 3 months old, they can hold it for approx 4 hours, max.
so they should never be in the crate more than 3-4 hours at a time, and always interspersed with playtime and such.

in terms of separation anxiety, it doesnt sound like that at all. if shes acting up for the first 15 minutes being in the crate, ignore her and leave her alone in there. taking her out or responding to her cries is just showing her exactly what she wants - attention.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
whiteandblue said:
well they dont like the smell and this is a disclipine that niether hurts them or anything it is basically to get there little attention. because they know we are talking to him and they just keep going and going. so we just squirt them in the butt cheek with it. and they stop... and know we are trying to get their attention...

but im in the process of crate trianing is that better for discpline... :help_up_2

what are you using the spray for? what discipline do they need? as puppies, they need to learn manners, not be corrected all the times.

the better way to get their attention is to teach them their names and speak to them - dont use corrections to get attention.

and no, like i said, crates are NOT for discipline.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't think I would have made it through puppyhood without a crate! I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to use it properly as it makes housetraining a lot easier. Not to mention, it gives you a nice peace of mind when you can't watch the pup, to know they're safe, tucked in their little den.

I wouldn't use it for punishment though. You want them to feel that the crate is a good thing and it's a safe place for them... Not some place they're put when they're bad.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A vet nurse for 14 or so years doesn't know how to house or crate train a dog? Btw, is a vet nurse the same as a tech?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Crates are definetly good for dogs. Dogs by instinct need a safe haven. Think of it as puting a child in a crib for it's own safety, same with pups. However I'd discontinue the use of a squirt gun in the crate, you can use it for catching them in process of doing something bad chewing curtain etc. to get their attention in a harmless way, however just water should be sufficient. Crating is not punishment. Best thing to do is keep the crate in a separate room where they can't see you and just let them cry it out. Lexy would be quiet during the day but cried holy heck at night for an hour on end for nights on end! I finally drug the crate next to the bed and quiet as an angel (which she is of course!) Been by the bed ever since (not in a crate anymore though) but it is there as an option should she chose to go in it.
Another suggestion (you may already know) If they poody in their cage, let them sit in it for a while or the rest of the night. By instinct they don't want to be sleeping in their own poody and will hate it, the poodying in the cage WILL stop. Don't swoop down and clean it immediately, or they don't learn anything, "poody and momma cleans it right away, I'll just poody again and she'll come see me again." I know it sounds yukko, but it is true.

Fortunetely Doberkids are GENIUSES and learn quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol cool thanks doberkim and that is exactly what i thought... but i think they think they are in trouble all the time... and i hate that... because they mope around after me putting them in there... i take them strait out and back in... for only one hour intrevals. then after four intrevals i let them out to play... when they are tired the go back in there and lay down...

they are on the landing of my steps going down stairs and they love it because they can go strait out at in the morning.... so i just leave them on the landing... hmmmm they dont go in the cage.... im not sure why they go in my house but wont go in the crate and will go outside...? it is wierd. you are right they dont go where they lay but they will try to go in the other parts of the house.... so i will definately keep up with the crate training...

I only spray them when they fight to hard... or they try to chew on my couch... then they stop and go lie down... but only little things do they ever get sprayed for... hardly ever because they are kids... and kids should be able to be kids... and i know that they want to play and be kids without worrying about getting sprayed... sometimes we dont have to spray them they just see us reach for the water gun and they know that they are dong wrong.... and to stop...

hmmm been long time since i crate trained any dog let alone a dobe.... luckily crate training is only hard for my blue dobe and not mine my white... he is pretty good and has already learned from his breeder... which was great... Ill keep trying and hopefully a couple more days they will know alittle more because they already are sleeping in there without being told... so they are Geniuses as you said Lexus :D thanks

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm... they seem to be loving it... they lay down in there now and play down there... and water guns are great... they listen when they see the gun come out :D lol... and they stop acting up :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 11/2 yr old female named Pyper. We started crate training her the day we brought her home. That is now her 'safe place'. She knows that when she is in her crate nobody will bother her (that means grandkid stay out!!!).
It is also a security for me for when I go to work as Pyper is a 'digger' and will try to dig her way out via the middle of the livingroom, bedroom, hallway ect.
She does not mind going in if she knows there's a treat waiting in there for her.
As for whining or howling, it only last for a bit and they give up. :thumbs-up
Start your pup going in for about 5 minutes for a couple of days and slowly increase the time. When your at about 1/2 hour, tell puppy you will be back in awhile and go out for a count of about 20 then come back in. Increase as puppy gets comfortable with you leaving.
(Well, it worked for me :rolleyes: )

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lil Arrow said:
I have a 11/2 yr old female named Pyper. We started crate training her the day we brought her home. That is now her 'safe place'. She knows that when she is in her crate nobody will bother her (that means grandkid stay out!!!).
It is also a security for me for when I go to work as Pyper is a 'digger' and will try to dig her way out via the middle of the livingroom, bedroom, hallway ect.
She does not mind going in if she knows there's a treat waiting in there for her.
As for whining or howling, it only last for a bit and they give up. :thumbs-up
Start your pup going in for about 5 minutes for a couple of days and slowly increase the time. When your at about 1/2 hour, tell puppy you will be back in awhile and go out for a count of about 20 then come back in. Increase as puppy gets comfortable with you leaving.
(Well, it worked for me :rolleyes: )

thanks so much... i think also her knowing that Prince isnt howling and trying to get out helps her alot... but that is a good idea... she doesnt dig in the house but he bites thru the dry wall so we have to watch him... ugh... more crap to fix... thanks lil arrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts