Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have crate trained my last dog and it worked perfectly
But some people say it's just another way of buying things
you don't really need... or its inhumane..
What do you guys recon?

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I think crate training is wonerful.I have a 6 1/2 month old Dobe and he loves his crate-we call it his "room". Its a calm place where he can go and relax, It also comes in handy in the rare occassions where I need him to stay put for a little bit. For example I had appliances delivered and the front door and the gate to my property had to stay open- I put him in his crate so he could see what was going on but he wasn't in harms way.Congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Crate training...YES! I use the crate as a safe place for my dog to go when I can't supervise him. Young dobermans can get into A LOT of trouble if left by themselves...mine especially. He likes his crate. I make it comfy with a nice blanket, toys, and bones. He is crated at night and anytime I leave the house. He sleeps whenever he's in it and I feel better knowing that he's safe from destroying something or eating something that could hurt him. It's also a must have IMO for potty training. As he gets older and settles down I'm sure I will use the crate less, but he likes it and easily goes into it when commanded. I don't see a problem with using one as long as it's used humanely and the dog is happy. We didn't use crates on my dogs growing up, and one of our shelties got into trouble while we were away and nearly died. Ever since then, I crate train.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Absolutely crate train! Yes! No question!!

Its a safe place, teaches them to self sooth, keeps them out of things when you can't look after them.... great potty training tool...

What if they need to go to boarding or be crated at a vets? or in a car? and have never been crated?

Everyone thought I was "So mean" for crating my puppy.... whatever lol. Sometimes you also need 5 minutes to yourself.... hence, "lets have some settle down crate time"

I think even when my dog is old enough to be left out, I will still keep the crate around as her safe place and her bed..... My biggest worry would again, be the fact that they would not be use to a crate if ever in a vet overnight or boarding...

#1 thing is to associate good things with the crate... i.e.: where the pup is fed, gets treats, peanut butter kongs, lots of praise... the pup will learn to love his little den... We call it Scarlets bedroom hahahaha...

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I am very much pro-crate training. Yes, it gives the dogs a den-like place. Actually, when my dog gets freaked out for any reason he goes to his crate voluntarily because he feels safe in there. However, I feel like crates and crating have a ton of other advantages. A dog who is used to being in a crate is much easier to be around when at the vet. When I worked at the vet the dogs who were used to being crated were super quiet and the ones who weren't make everyones blood boil. Yes, we felt bad for the unhappy dog but we also felt bad for our bleeding ears thanks to all the noise and ruckus caused by them. If something happens to you and you need to board your dogs, the ones who are used to being crated handle the transition much easier. If you need to travel and the dog needs to be crated or if the dog is injured and needs to be on crate rest it's the same thing.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Maiya loves her crate. Her crate is comfortable and a place where she can enjoy quiet time, Kongs and bones. Even though I don't crate her anymore when we leave the house, I leave her crate door open so she can go in there if she chooses.

When I took Maiya to rally trials, she quietly rested in her crate until it was our turn. Much less stressful for me and for her. Just another reason to crate.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Yes...crate train. Its just another den for your dog and comes in handy. This is a very important training tool. Great for when they need confinement for injury recovery, sleeping at night or on the road (hotel room, traveling in automobile). All my dogs love their crates. They will even sleep in them when the door is left open.

Good luck, Tracy and Mariah

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Our pup used a crate for 2.5 months in total...then it got folded and stored away...in the spare room.
- crate was only used, when gone to work and son was in school part time
Dog bed on the floor of the living room was gathering dust after 1 month...the mattress is now in the back of my Jeep.

If you can pull off using a crate, that is great.
I could not stand hours & hours of constant crying & whining...and the need for a crate was not long term, in my mind.

I am relentless with supervision & early training, 8 week old pup had full access within the house (with adult present), sleeps on the furnature during the day and in our bed at night.
With these perks, her crate love never caught on...she dreaded her crate, with a passion (and so did my first dobe).

Our dog will never be boarded (ever), but once crated at vets...it was not a nice sound, for the staff to work in.
Last time she had surgury, I insisted she recover on the office floor and I sat with her (5 hours straight)...until she could come home.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Bacchus has been crate trained from day one. A crate at an agility trial is a MUST. As good as he is in the crate he tried to eat his way out of the metal cage at the groomers. So.....no more groomers. I do him at home. When we are at my son's home I send Bacchus to one of his crates to keep a peaceful kingdom. My son's min pins are vicious little beasties who rule the roost so he's more than happy to go in the crate. I can't imagine a dog not being crate trained.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I prefer my dogs to be crate trained. It is great if I need them to be put up or if there was an emergency and we had to evacuate. If doing OB or sports where you are at a venue you may need them to be up while you are taking care of things. My terriers love their crates. I wish I could say the same for Kyrah. But she in some way must think its a safe place. This xmas & new yrs they were doing fireworks. I couldnt find Kyrah who was just under my feet. She was all the way in my bedroom in her crate.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Yes crate train a nick name for Doberman is Dober Goat many have died from eating things they should not have eaten. A crate is a tool that help prevent that from happening, you can eve buy a bed for the crate that you can tie it down to the crate helps keep the pup/dog from eating it.Best for your dwelling not to have a loose doberman inside until they get though puppy hood and though being a teen ager.Your Pom will be much happier and safer if your pup can be crated at times.Teach Leave It and Drop It as soon as possible.Good Luck with your pup.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i do agree, i crate trained my pomeranian, because as a pup they are the smallest things ever and he would go behind the sofa and poop and no one would no it was grose! so someone told us about crate training and no joke he took to it straight away not one accident in the house after we got that crate. plus when he goes to the groomers he is in one and his good as gold!
Some people just think it's inhumane, was just wondering thoughts of everyone on DT
:)..

·
Registered
101 Posts
crate train is a must for all the reasons stated above.

I think if all puppys where crate trained from day one there would be less dogs in shelters...

·
Registered
444 Posts
YES YES YES!!!!

I never had crate trained before my Dobes and I LOVE it. I know they are safe. They actually like the crate. Each time they go in a give them a little treat too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts