Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new puppy, who loved his crate the first couple of days and now hates it! Last night he cried for 2 hours straight, and then woke up periodically throughout the night!

I have been working with him during the day with no problems as long as I don't leave the room.

Looking for advice! Not only do I miss sleeping at night, but it's really sad to hear! :(

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wonder if it's a separation thing than it is a crate thing?

Make sure to reward often to get him into the crate, and more while he's in it. Yesterday I spend an hour entering and leaving my front door to get my puppy used to me leaving the room while he's in the crate. He's not howling and shaking his crate anymore, but still whimpers a little bit.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had a really really hard time with my pup. Go to the search bar at the top and type baby gate as a substitute crate I started a thread about it I got A LOT of helpful information and now Diesel is finally happy to be left alone not in a crate however. I babygate a room off for him. Try playing crate games with him. It takes time and a lot of patience. do not make a big deal about putting him or taking him out that will cause a lot of issues.

Let him out at night to go potty if he cries. That could be what he's trying to tell you.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
I'd check out Susan Garrett's "Crate Games" to help your pup learn to love the crate.

Reactions: dapple

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may not be your thing, but we always have our dogs crates in our bedroom! They sleep all night within the first week of training. We find it comforting too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts