Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a first time poster. I have been lurking for a while, trying to learn all I can before our 4 1/2 month old girl Kyra arrives next month from the breeder.

Thanks to all for the wealth of information and knowledge that is shared here. We had the usually muts brought home by the kids; they all out of the house now. This is our first serious dog and we are anxiouslly anticipating her arrival.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size crate to get. It seems that the two sizes to choose from are either roughly: 1) 42"Lx28"Wx31"H or 2) 48"Lx30"Wx35"H.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Either one would work . I have both . the smaller one for traveling and the bigger one at home. although the 48x30 will fit in my van. I like the bigger one for long stays and young dogs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It seems like there is so much to get a learn when one chooses a Doberman.

The excitement of anticipating the new arrival is sometimes tempered with the dread of so much to do and know.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I guess the best size would be based on the use of the crate. Since you pup will be growing very quickly, it should be large enough to fit him at full size. Also you may want to consider getting one with a divider or you can make your own. With such a large crate for a puppy, he might thinks its a two room apartment without having a divider. If he has too much room, he might use one side for sleeping and the other side as a bathroom. Great for potty training.

As they grow, the divider can be adjusted to make sure he has enough room to lie down. My girl is 14 months and we still crate her at times and she see her crate as her room. When she is tired, she goes in her crate on her own, its like her room. She is still crated through out the night, but is out most of the day, since so one is allways home during the day.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you're very excited about the new pup coming home, can't say I blame you ;-)
I have my pup in the 48x30 which is entirely too big for her, we'll get the smaller size before we travel, unless she grows a lot :)
When she was much younger, I had a box with one side removed kind of jammed into it to make it smaller.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I ordered a 42" to start, from E-bay for only $58.00 delivered. When Kyra out grows that one I will get a larger one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts