Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all let your dog sleep in the crate overnight. I let Duke run free outside during the day and parts of the day inside supervised and also crate for 3-4 hours at random times during the day while im next time him watching tv he sleeps. Now I am thinking of trying overnight. I fed him earlier, let him out to relieve himself played with him and put him for. It will a seven hour night. Im wondering is it ok to crate him overnight? Until he his house trained or will I always need to crate him so he wont relieve himself inside? Any input on this subject is welcomed.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi is 14 months old and it's just been recently that I've allowed her to sleep outside of her crate. Although, if I want a decent night sleep (ie. one where she isn't sleeping on top of me!) she still goes in her crate :)
One of her crates is right by my bed - when she was a pup I made sure she got plenty of exercise and pottied before "bed time". When she was very young, I'd have to get up 2 or 3 times during the night to let her out for potty. During those times, I always made sure to take her straight outside, let her do her business and then straight back to the kennel - No play, no luvin' or anything like that, didn't want her to get in the habit of waking me up just for attention and play. By the time she was 3 or 4 months, she was sleeping through the night... Now, her bedtime is generally around 10 pm and up around 5 or 6 (have to get up early for exercise before it's too hot). If I'm not ready for bed by 1030 or so, she'll pace the living room and stand infront of the TV and whine until I take her to bed... She has me trained so well :)
Personally, I'm a big believer that if you can't watch him, he needs to be crated for his own safety and a crate is the easiest way to go. A pup can get into an awful lot of trouble left to his own devices.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I put the puppy in the crate overnight also, i believe it helps to house train as dogs tend not to potty in their sleeping quarters.Mischa currently goes to bed at 10:30,11:00pm and gets up about 6:00am with no problems at all,she is about 4.5 months old.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think it depends on individual dogs how long you crate them. It depends on if you can trust them. The crate is for their safety also, not just so you don't have to clean up messes. You don't want to wake up to a puppy that has been chewing on things that he shouldn't have been, especially when in the teething. A young puppy IMO should always be supervised or contained safely. I always crated mine through the night and worked up to a full night sleep. I still crate them on and off. Depends on how they are acting and how much I want to sleep.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Being crated over night was mandatory for us. It keeps them safe from getting into things that can be dangerous to them and does not let get a chance to chew or destroy items in the house. It also helps them with potty training if the crate is set up properly to only allow enough room for them to lay down and stand.

The crate is a useful and vital tool. Its a baby sitter if you can not 100% surpervise a puppy. If approached properly, the crate is their den that they can go to feel and be safe. Soon they accept it and will go into it when they feel like it. As she was growing up, she would go into it on her own when she wanted to go to bed. We had ours set up in a room where everybody was, so she can see us and be in her crate at the same time.

We started crating the first night we got our girl as a puppy. It wasn't until she was 15 months until she proved she was trustworthy to be un surpervised. I would crate a puppy everytime I was unable to supervise them, especially at night.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Same here, I crated Da'Kari from the time I got her as a pup til she was about a year old, but then started letting her sleep with us. I am a light sleeper so if she gets up I know it, but she doesn't, she sleeps through the night til about 7 or 8 in the morning.

Nash is almost 8 months old and he is still crated at night, not sure when he will be trustworthy to not chew etc so we will have to wait and see on him. When he is old enough I am gonna have to figure out how to set it up so they can both be in my room at night but NOT in my bed.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would Def. Say crate at night puppys can get in to all kind of things.DaKari how tall do you think Nash will be and his weight when he's done growing?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java is 15 months old and has been crated at night since she started eating solid food. There is a dog bed she hangs out on during the day, but if she is really tired after a run, she will curl up in her travel (nylon canvas) crate. As Kratty said, it is her 'den' - I make it even more 'den-like' in the winter by throwing an old flannel sheet over it to keep out any drafts on those really cold winter nights.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
crxman321 said:
DaKari how tall do you think Nash will be and his weight when he's done growing?
crxman, I really don't know, from what I understand different lines grow differently, in different spurts I mean, so I am hoping that he just did a lot of his growing early and is getting ready to slow down a little. He is already taller than Da'Kari who is 26 1/2 inches and weighs about 9 lbs more at only 7 and a half months. He just passed her up in height in the last couple of weeks.

I just got an email from his breeder last week wanting an update on him (she writes at least every other month) and she asked how Nash was doing and she said she bets he is about 50 lbs now and that the siblings are all big too!
To which I wrote her back and said 50 lbs??? He weighs 80!!! :help_up_2

He is a big boy for sure, but we will see, hopefully he is gonna stop around standard, he still has a right to go a couple more inches. I call him my gentle giant, he is such a sweet very calm natured boy. Obeys so good, easily trained, just all around sweetheart.

I love watching him when I prepare their food, I make them sit while preparing and he patiently watches me while licking his lips and little miss itchy britches can't sit still, she sits and stays but is wiggling the whole time.

Sorry I guess I got carried away :3dbiggrin

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Takira is like clockwork, at 10:30pm or so she will drag her lazy butt off the couch grab one last drink of water and head to her crate. She goes in on her own and will use her nose to get the door open if it is shut. :) But for some reason she wont be able to go to sleep unless someone shuts the door after she gets in....weird. :D Oh she is 3 years old by the way. :)

TD

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
Alienex....I start all puppies sleeping in a crate by my bed from the beginning--8 weeks or whenever they first come to me. I've found that practically all of the pups I've raised (unless they are sick) will sleep (from 8 weeks on) all night--around my place that's roughly 9pm to 5am.

I'm a light sleeper too so if a puppy is moving around much in a crate I always hear them--if they are too restless I will get up and take them outside--I do this on leash when they are very young and not entirely housetrained so that we don't get side tracked and have accidents along the way.

My adult dogs do not sleep in crates and when they get privileges that include sleeping on the dog beds in the bedroom rather than in a crate has varied with the dog. The youngest one was only 5 months but most have been 8 months to year. The whole idea is to make sure their sleeping habits are set and they expect to come in and go to bed.

I have some fairly rigid rules about the dogs not playing rough games in the house--so when they come in they can play with their toys, they are not allowed to steal other dogs toys (I have one who would, if allowed to, steal everyones toys and perch on them like a chicken on a nest) and they can't go roaming around.

I think you are only dealing with one puppy so it should be easier for you to teach that crates are to sleep in and we all settle down at night.

I also crate or contain in an ex-pen any puppy that I can't watch--the pups in my house are often on a leash and go with me wherever I go--I don't expect them to be automatically reliable and well behaved--they have to learn that.

Although none of my dogs are left outside if I am not home they all spend a lot of time outside--and I make sure that they all learn to spend some time outside alone. I check frequently to make sure they aren't doing things that I don't want them to do when I leave them out alone but I do think that dogs should have some time alone to just be dogs.

The two younger dogs go out together to get the kind of hard exercise that the current puppy needs to build muscle and to exhaust his boundless energy. Without another dog in the picture you'll have to provide some of that companionship/exercise for your puppy--teach him to retrieve--fetching balls and toys is a great way to burn off energy. Make sure he will go out in the rain and cold too. People don't always think about the need for exercise no matter what the weather and the dogs often get very hyper in spells of bad weather if they aren't getting adequet exercise.

I've got stupid sounding question for you? You ask if it's OK to crate the puppy overnight--what have you been doing. Mostly that's the first place and time I teach a puppy to crate for--overnight--otherwise they tend not to settle down and sleep--too many things to find to do for busy puppies.

My dogs aren't allowed on beds or furniture--there are big soft dog beds everywhere--they belong to the dogs. My first Doberman was the last one who slept on a bed--crates were not common when I got him (professional handlers had them and almost no one else) he slept on my bed which wasn't big enough for the pair of us by the time he was 5 months old. By the time he was an adult even a king sized bed wasn't big enough for him and anyone else--what a bed hog!!!!

It's really just curiosity but what have you been doing with your puppy at night if you weren't crating him?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first night I had an area set up for him the size of a large bathroom with a doggy bed. Then I started crating him and he is doing fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie's crate was set up in the spare bedroom. That was her room. When she got tired of being around people (almost never) she would go in her room shut the door, then go into her crate. She would keep hitting the door until it would shut. At the end of the night, Gracie would be in her crate by 8 or 9 pm. She would go to sleep and once we locked the crate she would roll over. Then at 6 am we would open the crate door and she wouldn't leave except to go potty. Until about 9 am.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts