Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and have a question about crates. We've had several dogs - including 2 dobes - and none of them were crate trained. However, I'm considering crate training for our new puppy (11wks) when we pick him up next month. I understand how a crate can be very beneficial for housebreaking, but I'm not sure how the crate would be used when he's an adult (?). We never had a problem leaving our dogs either loose inside the house or confined to the main floor when we were gone. Of course, this might be a different situation with the new puppy! My dobes were like velcro - always at my side - and that's was exactly what I wanted. Would having a crate change that?

I've been looking at a 2-door crate from Midway that comes with a divider. Has anyone used this type and did it work for you? Also, what size would you recommend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am getting a new puppy too. This will be my fourth Dobie. First two were not crate trained, third one came crate trained and we did not enforce it so soon no crate. This time I am determined to crate train and keep it up. They always had the run of the house and no problems. But my problem came when it was unavoidable and we had to kennel them. They were terrified of the crate, we have no family or friends who would take them in an emergency. So it became a problem, I do not want my Dobie to be terrified when I have to leave them. And we were unable to take them by plane because they were afraid of crates. So this time I am hoping to make the crate her fun place, a shelter when she wants it, she will still sleep in our bed but I am hoping to also have a place in her life for using the crate. Have not figured out how to make this work but I hope we can. I know part of it is the seperation anxiety that Dobies are prone to so I know I have to work on that too. We are both at home 100% of the time so it is easy for them to just be so use to our presence that it freaks them out to not be with us. Its not going to be easy. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Crate!

I do not crate adult animals (with the exception of when I had two intact animals of opposite genders... crates make for great birth control LOL!). A crate (in my house, at least) is for puppies who are not being directly supervised so that they are safe... bedtime, humans out of the house (or in the shower, etc.). Puppies earn out-of-the-crate liberty by being responsible for themselves... starting with tiny increments of time, and building up as they prove themselves... the schedule for this will vary widely from puppy to puppy.

A crate large enough for an adult animal which comes with a divider is what you want. And, no... a crate will not affect the "velcro-ness" of your puppy!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am getting a new puppy too. This will be my fourth Dobie. First two were not crate trained, third one came crate trained and we did not enforce it so soon no crate. This time I am determined to crate train and keep it up. They always had the run of the house and no problems. But my problem came when it was unavoidable and we had to kennel them. They were terrified of the crate, we have no family or friends who would take them in an emergency. So it became a problem, I do not want my Dobie to be terrified when I have to leave them. And we were unable to take them by plane because they were afraid of crates. So this time I am hoping to make the crate her fun place, a shelter when she wants it, she will still sleep in our bed but I am hoping to also have a place in her life for using the crate. Have not figured out how to make this work but I hope we can. I know part of it is the seperation anxiety that Dobies are prone to so I know I have to work on that too. We are both at home 100% of the time so it is easy for them to just be so use to our presence that it freaks them out to not be with us. Its not going to be easy. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it.
Being home all the time is nice, and is guaranteed to make it a huge hairy deal on those occasions you are not home. I would be leaving daily, whether or not you need to go anywhere... leave on an irregular schedule for varying lengths of time.

I very strongly do NOT believe that seperation anxiety is something to be expected... I think it is the direct result of mismanaging perfectly normal protest behaviors.

One thing beyond what you are talking about (the wisdom and usefulness of having a dog understanding that a crate is not the end of the world... with which I totally agree!), I read about here first and it made a huge giant lightbulb go off in my head. Someone (Murreydobe?) was talking about finding places to leave puppies... a friend's house overnight, a day or two at a boarding kennel... doing this as a training exercise, not because you had to go anywhere... genius!!!

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I have never raised a small pup
I got all my dogs at six months or a year
but I talked to alot of breedrs...I used to think crates were mean
and I have seen people use them wrong=like lock the dog up all day
and then say they like it like a den...not true=that person's dog ended
up running away

point being in a nutshell===if you can't supervise them all the time
as much as they chew random stuff...just go ahead and get a crate
as long as it's not used as a punishment--even pro dog breeders use them
they seem mean but it's the way you use it not the crate itself

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I crate both of my dogs and will probably continue to always crate.

Advantages to having a crate trained dog....
A crate trained dog who has to be in a crate, kennel, or smaller place for any reason will likely feel safer and more comfortable.
If they need to spend the day at the vet they will probably spend sometime in a kennel that is much like a crate.
If you need to travel with them they may need to be crated.
If you need to board them or you need for a friend to watch them they may need to be crated.
If an emergency occurs and your normal backup cannot take care of your dog they may need to be crated.
A crated dog cannot eat something that it's not supposed to because you control what is in the crate.
If you have two or more dogs - crated dogs cannot get into fights with each other when you're not there to supervise and break the fight apart.

Back to the vet's scenario. A dog that is comfortable being crated is much less likely to be super loud and unhappy when kenneled at the vets office. This will mean that all of the staff there will like your dog so much more. I've been there, lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have three crates of different sizes. Myra the 13 week old is in her crate if not under close supervision. Our 5 year old rescue has been crate at times since we got him at an age of 9 months. Our largest crate is always up and open, he often chooses to take a nap in it.

We have often crated him and a recently passed 7 yr old female when ever too much activity in the house made then nervous. It was their safe zone.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
I have a rescue boy that doesn't love being crated, and it can be a huge pain (he's had to be at the vet all day, etc.). Crate training is a great skill that dogs will use their whole lives. Even if you end up leaving them loose in the house once they can be trusted, keep up that crating regularly so your dogs are used to a crate and are happy in one.

Reactions: dobiemom02
1 - 9 of 9 Posts