Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought Duke a crate which is working out pretty well. However I am wondering if I should have gotten a Kennel to crate train him and also use the kennel for traveling etc. Does anyone have any input on this?

Edited for Clarity
This being a crate except the one I have is Larger and indoors
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=3770&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=crate&sku=904830&familyID=11366&

This being what im talking about when saying Kennel
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=4982&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=kennel&sku=651354&familyID=100425&

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure what you mean by a kennel as I think of those as rather large metal chain-link fenced areas usually used outdoors. A small crate is what's needed for house training. I plan on taking this when we go on vacation. Could you provide a link to what you mean by kennel or give some rough dimensions?

I use, or should I say used to use, both a large and small crate. I still use a smaller plastic crate approximately 3' X 2' X 3' exclusively for night time sleeping. I used to use a 4' X 4' X 4' metal crate for her when I'm in my home office (so I could keep and eye on her during working hours) but find I no longer need it. I'm reluctant to say this but she's pretty well house trained now so she has free run of the house but I still take her outside every 2-3 hours.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I have used crate training on my last 2 puppys and i am a total convert now,
Mischa is 4.5months and hasn't done anything in the house for 2 weeks now.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
alienex said:
I bought Duke a crate which is working out pretty well. However I am wondering if I should have gotten a Kennel to crate train him and also use the kennel for traveling etc. Does anyone have any input on this?
I use the vari-type plastic kennels at home and wire or mesh when traveling by car. I've yet to fly a dog - but my vari kennels are airline approved. For home, I use a 500 size (40"long, 27"wide, 30" high). For travel, I use a 36" long wire crate - it is plenty big even for a large Doberman. My wire crate is the fold down suitcase style - I use it mostly for indoor shows and some car travel. Both of my dogs are fine in mesh now so I use them a lot for travel. I don't recommend them for untrained puppies!

When at shows, I cover my wire crate with a towel, or a space blanket.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I use the first one,but remember dobe puppys grow real quick,i have a 42" crate and Mischa is looking big in there already.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I use the first one also and I like it because I think it gives them a more secluded spot of their own, more like a cave or den.

I used a wire one when they were small because I borrowed it from my daughter and it was fine but I couldn't move without them seeing me. So when they outgrew it I got the covered large one.

Personally for the house I prefer the covered one. But everyone has different likes and dislikes, either would be sufficient.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
We use both. Each for different purposes. If you have the room to store them, I would consider having both of them. You can never tell when you would need them or not.

We used the wire crate as the primary on in the house when we crated. I used the plastic one, when I had to travel with my girl when she was still a pup.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have the vari-type as well and I have to include that they were purchased in 1979 and are still in excellent shape. Gadget was a big boy and looked uncomfortable so I purchased an x-pen for him and that gave him plenty of room.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have the xtra large size vari kennel for Chi - 40X27X30 (2 of them actually, one upstairs and one in the living room, perfect size for an end table too!) When she was much smaller, I had a box in it to make it smaller and cozier for her. I've never used the wire crates but since we travel so much, I always thought it would be best for our dogs to get used to, to love their vari kennels since they need to be comfortable and feel safe during those 18 hour flights :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Piper and Rommel both have the Life Stages Wire Kennels for inside the house. However...both of them started as little puppies in the plastic crates, to make it more cozy for them, and because they are smaller for housetraining.

Rommel has to be kept in a crate while we are at Schutzhund when he is not working, so I have one of the plastic crates with the clips on the side so that it can be easily broken down and transported in my trunk when not in use.

There seems to be good and bad about both types, I have seen lots of plastic crates that dogs have easily broken or eaten their way out of, but my grandmothers dog broke her tooth on one of the metal cages. Some of the metal cages can also be pretty heavy. For in the house, I personally prefer the metal, I think it looks better. You can fold them up like a suitcase and put them in the trunk if you are going to be taking your dogs on vacation with you. But like I said....they are way to heavy to have to deal with on a daily/weekly basis. The plastic crates are better if you have a truck and will be transporting the dog in the bed, because it offers more protection from rocks and other debris. If you have a small car, but need to take the crate with you alot, the plastic "clipper 6" crate fits great in my trunk. It will also fit sideways in my backseat if I assemble it inside the car.

Just a few things to think about :D Good Luck

Edited to add:

These are the ones we have

Rommel's Plastic Crate http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=156321
Piper has one of the Vari-Kennels, but it doesnt clip on the side, she is alot smaller though.

The wire crate he has, I really like it http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=3277B

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW thanks for all the great responses. So really once he is crate trained I could just put him in a plastic kennel and he wont mind? I was worried that if he got used to the wire crate when I needed to travel he wouldnt like the plastic one. Or did I get the wrong impression from this post?

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I use both plastic (VariKennel type) and fold down wire (General or Midwest type) and all of my dogs will climb into either type quite happily...I keep a couple of VariKennels in the back of the truck (which has a canopy) all the time--a 400 and a 300 fit back there just fine--the 300 actually belonged to an old Aussie who I lost this spring but one of the Dobes doesn't seem to mind riding in it. Heavens only knows why--he's my biggest dog but if both crates are open that's the one he chooses to go in.

I also have a 500 VariKennel and a wire crate the same size. In a pinch I can and have carried four dogs in a small pickup. One dog rides up front with me--I put the 500 VariKennel in the very back sides ways and the other three dogs ride in those crates--the folded wire crate will just fit in behind the the 500 and the tailgate.

I try to avoid carrying four dogs but I've sometimes found myself carrying an extra dog who needed to get to my handler.

Wandering off the subject here--at any rate my dogs don't have any trouble switching from place/closed crates to wire ones and they have a learned to live in ex-pens at agility trials. Nice dogs--so adaptable.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
alienex said:
WOW thanks for all the great responses. So really once he is crate trained I could just put him in a plastic kennel and he wont mind? I was worried that if he got used to the wire crate when I needed to travel he wouldnt like the plastic one. Or did I get the wrong impression from this post?
Well I wouldnt say he wont mind :D He will want to be as close to you as possible, and be able to rest his head on your shoulder while you drive if at all possible, haha. No, but really....Rommel didnt protest to much going from wire to plastic. Since the plastic has less ventilation I got one of those crate fans that hooks to the door of the crate, he loves sitting there with his fan chewing on ice.

I just treat it as if it is the same thing as his wire crate...when I leave the house I tell them to "get in their bed" and they both run to their crates. When we are out with the plastic crate, I say the same thing..."Rommel get in your bed" he protests a bit every now and again, but I think that is more the surroundings than the actual crate itself. I have never really had a problem with either one of my dogs just refusing to go in the crate. (After the first week of course)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think a lot depends on the dog. Chi loves the dark brown Vari Kennel we have in our bed room - it's the one she's had since she was 7 weeks old. But is almost afraid of the new light brown one we have down stairs - the only difference between the two is their color and location... Now, I know it's not the location that bothers her since I've switched them out and put the light one upstairs and brought the dark one down - she still prefers the dark one to the light one - they both also have the same type of bedding in them... Go figure... But I'm sure with time she'll get used to the new one too....

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I use the vari-kennel for my dogs. I wouldn't say they wouldn't mind. It took some time for Doodle to get used to the enclosed area and enter his kennel when I got him. They were all crate trained in vari-kennels and like the enclosed "den like" atmosphere. Especially when they want to get away from eachother. It is more intimate for each of them. But they don't mind going into the wire kennels if they need to. I have a back-up collapsable wire kennel. Unfortunately, Doodle figured out how to open it when he was young. So he doesn't ever use that one. I use the vari-kennels for travel also. I think it depends on each dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts