Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am a new owner of a 11 week old Dobe puppy. I have had him for almost two weeks now, so we are all still adjusting. My husband and I are new to owning a dog, but we have also tried our best to educate ourselves on what to expect from a Dobe. I am already attached to him, and he listens to me. He is already "sitting" for me. My husband and I both work full time, so I have to crate him. I do come home once a day to relieve him, play with him and feed him, and just try to give him excercise, but he has to have this schedule. I feel this is helping potty train too. My husband thinks keeping him in the crate will cause mental/behavior problems later. :( He says this when he is hyper, and that is when we first get home. Once we play hard outside in the evening, they puppy settles down and then naps..lol...I guess I need advice on what you all think about crating. He loves his crate, and spends time in there even when we are home. When I am home, he gets alot of exercise and attention. He also has kong toys during the day in his crate. Will this really cause him mental problems later??

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think he's fine. Be happy he loves his crate. My pup hates it and we have to put him in a room with a baby gate instead. As long as your aren't leaving him in there for a really really long time with no break or using it as a punishment then he'll be fine. Crates are dogs safe places. It's where they go to relax and get away from the craziness. Especially for puppies. I say he's fine :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Don't stress too much about it. You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. Forgot to mention make sure the crate is big enough for him though. Not big enough that he can have an accident but big enough that he can turn around and lay down and make sure as he gets bigger you get a bigger crate. It would be mean to keep him in one too small. Not that you are I just wanted to put that out there :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might want to not show any emotion when you first come home and let him out,as they tend to feed off of it. Just come in ,let him out to do his business,and you will have a much calmer dog as he grows into adulthood.

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
Ask your husband which he'd rather have, a safely crated puppy, or a loose puppy who destroyed the house while you were gone, and is now at the vet's having obstruction surgery, or worse yet, is dead because he got into something poisonous? Seriously, as long as your pup gets adequate excercise and attention when you are home, leaving him crated while you are gone is the safest thing to do. The fact that he goes in his crate to nap while you are home is a good sign he's comfortable with it.

Your vet and/or boarding facility will thank you for crate training him, too. Few things are more annoying in a kennel than the one dog who's never been crated before, and won't shut up. I don't know where in Texas you are, but if you're on the coast, hurricane evactuations are easier if your dog is crate trained. If you plan to stay in an evacuation shelter, they will not take an un-crated animal, and motels may also require a crate.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
There is a nick name for Doberman's Dobergoat's then also they go though a teenager phase crates and exercise pens are best for them better to be safe than sorry.They think of a crate as a cave like home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again! Yes, he has a big crate. In a year or so, he may need a bigger one! But, hopefully by then, I can trust him to run loose in my house while I am gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts