Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had experience with this breeder? We just had a horrible experience with him.

We lost our beloved Kaiser two years ago and a few months after, we took in a beautiful Euro-line Dobe from this breeder (original owner was looking to re-home him). Recently, we thought about adding to the family and giving him a sister. My wife originally reached out to Craig Rial to inform him that we had one of his boys - didn't much seem to care.

He sells the pups through a closed Facebook Group to which you have to join. My wife did so she could stay in contact with him after we picked up one one of his boys through re-homing. Recently, one of his litters resulted in the mom devouring all of her young - never heard of such a thing, but I understand it does happen. My wife was so appalled, she left the group - only to rejoin again recently when we began thinking about getting a sister for Rommel.

We learned of an upcoming litter and my wife sent a $1000 deposit for a litter bred in Serbia (he purchased the Bitch once she became pregnant and flew her to PA - wanting between $4k - $5k per pup, dependent on test results). The entire process took place over Facebook Messenger - no phone calls, emails, written documents (application), etc (unlike what we experienced with Kaiser we we got him as a pup). This made it very difficult to keep track of all of his requirements and demands. The mere asking of a question would result in very terse and rude replies (e.g., all caps, snark, condescending tone ,etc). He became very upset when we asked for clarification regarding the need for us to take the pup to the vet to have his crop stitches removed (as it was something we didn't have to do with Kaiser - they were removed and ears posted when we picked him up - we were simply seeking clarification and were OK with it and made the appointment with our local vet). He became very upset with this question just as he did with almost all prior questions from everyone in the "litter chat". Eventually, he stated that we had to pick up our pup on a specific date - a date that at first looked like it would work for us, but ultimately due to difficulties with child care, we asked for a one week extension for which we would compensate him (we would be picking up at 10 weeks instead of 9). He became irate at this point and accused us of not wanting the puppy and that it wasn't just about the cost associated with keeping our girl for another week (something he originally said was the primary reason for having to pickup on the original date).

Last evening he told my wife he was no longer going to sell us the puppy - for reasons that made little to no sense. Very upsetting. I tried to contact him via phone, but he would not answer, nor return my calls and I sent him a message, only to be told he didn't want to talk to me and that I was now "blocked". Understand we passed on other pups, because we had a deposit on his girl. We now are without a pup and having to start the search all over again. Still waiting on getting our deposit back as well.

We are all very upset and disappointed (especially the kids), and frankly, stunned. I have no idea how this went off the rails as quickly as it did - all because we sought clarification and answers to questions and for seeking a one week extension on the pickup (we NEVER said we would not be there on the original date, didn't come to that yet).

I still can't believe what he said to my wife on Facebook Messenger and the tone he took with her. If he did so in person, it would have been challenging for me to not punch him in the face.

I found very little to nothing online about Craig Rial's Superior Dobermans, which should have been a red flag. In the future, I hope this saves someone from the aggravation and disappointment (and money). Stay away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is a screen capture of one of the last Facebook Messages with Craig Rial today in which he resorted to name calling and threats of black balling us with breeders (we did finally receive our deposit after threatening to escalate) - only sharing to hopefully save others from that which we experienced:

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never heard of him either, and I also think you dodged a bullet. There are many posts on breeders on here as well as a few as active members. Take some time to go through, read up and verse yourself so you will know a red flag when you see it!

$4 - $5k per Euro pup!?!?! Were these all Champion lines with full health & registration docs shown? I paid $3,500 Canadian for my Euro pup and he does have Champion lineage. That's like $2,800 Yankee Bux!

Small advice, many of the reputable breeders are likely flooded with requests due to the times so be patient and never go to these back yard breeders. Plenty horror stories.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
YIKES. Glad you're getting your deposit back.

I've never heard of the guy. Guessing he doesn't title in anything.

Let's help you find a Dobe. Where are you located? Are you willing to wait for a well bred dog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YIKES. Glad you're getting your deposit back.

I've never heard of the guy. Guessing he doesn't title in anything.

Let's help you find a Dobe. Where are you located? Are you willing to wait for a well bred dog?
Thanks, much appreciated. My wife and kids are racing to find a replacement pup...but I am asking we slow down and take our time in light of what happened - may need to delay until sometime next year (also open to a young female somewhere between 1-2yrs).

We are located in Connecticut and are looking for a Euro-line sister for our Euro-line boy. From Dobermantalk recommendations, I did locate three possible breeders in NY by way of the UDC breeder page (Doberman Fields, Feverhaus, and Del'Alglio) - in the process of making contact with them right now. Any other recommendations for Euro-line breeders in the Trig-State or Northeast would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. Really feel bad about this, we were so set on having a new member in the family a few weeks from now.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I'm in Pennsylvania, and have never heard of that breeder. I think you are pretty lucky to dodge that bullet AND get your deposit back! The price was absolutely ridiculous and the deposit even more so. I'm no help with Euro breeders as mine are all show pedigrees.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I vaguely remember that name when I was researching breeders but I am not sure. I guess he must have been an immediate "no" for me. Reading your experience with him further makes me that. I'm glad you were able to get your deposit because he sounds like a greeder, not a breeder. The price alone adds to that train of thought. You dodged that bullet and I hope you find the right breeder that suits your needs.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
If I'm honest, I think you dodged a bullet in many ways. I've yet to find a Serbian line with much health and longevity. I would encourage you to go with American lines. Until I see Russian and Serbian breeders being more truthful about early DCM deaths I'll keep telling ppl to steer clear. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I'm honest, I think you dodged a bullet in many ways. I've yet to find a Serbian line with much health and longevity. I would encourage you to go with American lines. Until I see Russian and Serbian breeders being more truthful about early DCM deaths I'll keep telling ppl to steer clear. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I wasn't seeking a Serbian bred pup, this litter just happened to coincide with our desire to add to the family. We would have never even considered this " breeder" but for the fact we already have one of his dogs (re-homed to us at age 18 months from the original owner) and he is a handsome, wonderful dog who has helped fill the void after losing our beloved Kaiser (3yo and touch wood, no health issues).

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
The diseases that plaque this breed do not present themselves. If you aren't actively testing the heart year with an echo, and holter, you would think your dog is healthy... until he isn't and it's too late. I would highly suggest doing this. If your dog does have DCM you want to catch it as early as possible. I'd also get pet insurance. Liver issues don't show up easily either, I'd also suggest doing a yearly full blood panel.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So many red flags, and so glad you dodged that bullet.
You got off to a great start researching reputable breeders. Up in Quebec there is also Schwarzer Stolz dobermanns who is the UDC regional director for Canada and breeds European showlines primarily (First litter was with a male that had some working lines and american showlines behind him in addition to the european showlines). Midnight Sky Dobermans also in QC I believe she has a 100% Euro litter on the way (her first litter was 50% Euro show lines, 50% American showlines).
Both breeders fully health test and sell puppies on contract, both are actively involved doing things with their dogs (showing, sports, work etc.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Aha, another person mentioned that there are many Euros that have died early from DCM and that testing doesn't necessarily tell you anything...I'm wondering what Euro Dobes (pedigrees and lines) to steer clear of in the future. I prefer the SA Doberman anyway, but as my interest is working sports, I've kept the Euros in mind.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, much appreciated. My wife and kids are racing to find a replacement pup...but I am asking we slow down and take our time in light of what happened - may need to delay until sometime next year (also open to a young female somewhere between 1-2yrs).

We are located in Connecticut and are looking for a Euro-line sister for our Euro-line boy. From Dobermantalk recommendations, I did locate three possible breeders in NY by way of the UDC breeder page (Doberman Fields, Feverhaus, and Del'Alglio) - in the process of making contact with them right now. Any other recommendations for Euro-line breeders in the Trig-State or Northeast would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. Really feel bad about this, we were so set on having a new member in the family a few weeks from now.
I'm pretty sure patience will work, I've been patient for about 4 years :LOL: 😭... For one reason or the other haven't been able to get a puppy, moving from one city to another, a breeding that did not result in any puppies, economy and COVID, etc. But I think I've found what I am searching for in a breeder and lines, I only need to wait for the next litter and the stars to align and I think it will worth the wait. I'm not saying you need to wait for years and years, but if you have the possibility of getting on a waiting list of a good reputable breeder, one from which you can really get what you're paying for, you should do it and just wait a few months or even a year to get a well bred dog, for sure it will worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi please take all the above advice and stay clear of the Euro lines. My boy’s lines stem from the dreaded Altobello Kennels (although I bought from a British breeder) I lost him from DCM in August aged just 2. Myself and the family are still devastated and are really struggling. There is an excellent breeder over here in the UK called Aritaur, and she posted an undercover rescue video of a Doberman breeder/Puppy Farm in (I think Serbia) IT WAS HORRIFIC. A vast amount of their so called Champion Lines paperwork is also faked. Go for a breeder who has proven longevity and save yourself a huge amount of heartbreak. It’s worth the wait! Lots of luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like to add Euro, North American or other they all are genetically prone to certain ailments. So to give yourself the best possible chance to save heartbreak and some massive bills is to check that breeder, verify that lineage and confirmed health check of parents. You can see above there is a lot of underhanded types that only see a quick buck.

So in my opinion get whatever region including Euro, there is no specific type that is more prone over another.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts