Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Thank you! This is actually something I was just thinking about the other day!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I printed out a few copies. I have one in my car, one on the fridge, and one in my vet paperwork stuff that always travels with Gunner when we go somewhere. I pray I never need it but you can never be too careful.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Since DCM in dobermans is always fatal and considering the suffering they can go thru before death with CHF, I really don't think I would revive Parker were he to drop dead from an arrhythmia. Something to think about for sure.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want this to turn into an argument about the ethics of it. Just trying to post something helpful for those who would choose to revive their dog. This is for any dog after all...not just our own.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, no, Olivia, I am not trying to turn it into a debate. One might have other reasons for using CPR, indeed. This is a good thread to get people to thinking about exactly what they would do, rather then being totally blindsided and acting without thoughtful contemplation beforehand. This is an excellent topic.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Since DCM in dobermans is always fatal and considering the suffering they can go thru before death with CHF, I really don't think I would revive Parker were he to drop dead from an arrhythmia. Something to think about for sure.
I agree. All you'd do doing is delaying the inevitable.

But it's also true there might be other situations where knowing cpr would be a god send.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely....it is up to the owner to decide to use it or not. Personally I know if my dog was dying from a terminal illness, I would not prolong his suffering. Now if my dog just fell over one day with no signs of trouble, of course I would do everything I could to save him. But at least with this around I would know what to do. I hope and pray I never need it but at least it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to have it on the fridge just in case :)

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Considering I'm going on vacation for a week to a house that has a pool, I'd rather know about the CPR than not. (These houses always have a fence between the pool and other areas, but Elka's never been around a pool before, so I want to be prepared for horrible even when I'm sure everything will be fine)

Heimlich maneuver is on there as well, and I'd say the chances of it being useful are greater than not.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Wanna point out I didn't even think about using this on someone's dog, I was just thinking of DCM, but yes useful to know...

Considering I'm going on vacation for a week to a house that has a pool, I'd rather know about the CPR than not. (These houses always have a fence between the pool and other areas, but Elka's never been around a pool before, so I want to be prepared for horrible even when I'm sure everything will be fine)

Heimlich maneuver is on there as well, and I'd say the chances of it being useful are greater than not.
And if Elka is anything like Jones he "intentionally accidentally" falls in the pool... He's seen a pool many times now, but every I am watching he is cautious and tiptoes around the edge, but then he "missteps" and Ploosh!!! Right into the pool. You can see him plotting it in his head, the first time I thought okay maybe he did misstep but the 7-8th time... ain't fooling me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts