Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our IGP club held a trial at the end of October and I had Nadia entered for her AD (Endurance Test) as she is not ready to do a 1 but I wanted to participate and if I'm not mistaken this would've been one of her last opportunities to pass it, since the max age a dog can participate is 6 years old.

It was a struggle for me - my bike was too small, I'm severely out of shape (even with trying to train leading up to the trial, I have gained a significant amount of weight in no small part due to the pandemic/confinement, but also the medication I'm taking for a physiological issue) but Nadia once more proved what a big heart she had. At some point I was struggling so much she would slow down and trot beside me (otherwise she was mostly forging ahead) wondering if I was ok. And I muttered "come on bubs another kilometer..." without any urging she put her head down and suddenly started going into traction trying to pull me along.

The going was great for dogs but not ideal for the cyclists (soft ground) we did not get the full length breaks and it was dark by the time we were done.
Still after all that she was bouncing and eager in her heeling for the short obedience demo required.

For those who don't know what an AD is, it is a 20km bicycle run concluded by a short obedience demonstration. It is a "breed fitness" test that is a prerequisite for attempting a Körung which in the German working breeds is considered the highest possible achievement and enables a dog to be recommended for breeding.

The goal of the AD is to show that the dog has the physical stamina required of a working dog as well as demonstrate that even after that much running the dog still has the willingness, drive and desire to work.

A month before that, we drove out 6-7 hours to Ontario to attend a Temperament Test event (from the Temperament Test Associates of Canada) along with a few other Quebeckers including a friend with a Rottweiler. The "French Connection" as we dubbed ourselves cleaned out! And Nadia was no exception, earning her TT with flying colours. The judges adored her and immediately asked me if I planned on breeding her because they considered her an ideal doberman. Smiled and said I already had. (My girlfriend took a video that I should probably upload for those who find that sort of thing interesting - personally I love watching dogs go through temperament testing). The TT by the way is similar to the WAC but it has some key differences in the way it is judged and what the handler can and cannot do, and what qualifies as a pass. There is also no scoring scale it's a pass/fail at each exercice. It's open to all breeds so breed is taken into consideration - what is an acceptable reaction for a doberman isn't going to be the same thing as for a golden retriever! They also look at the age of the dog (they have to be minimum 12 months), how long the handler has had the dog, if the handler is the owner, if the dog lives in the house or is a kennel dog etc. In order to make a detailed and accurate assessment of the dog's reactions.

So Nadia is now Sunrock Cherry Blossom Lady SD CSAU ATT IBAR SPOT CGN WAC BH-VT BSA G1a TT AD
I've applied for her Versatility Bronze and Silver Medallions from the DPCC as well as a VC (Versatility Certification from the UDC).

AND we have a new BH in the family - at the same trial where Nadia earned her AD, her littermate Mayhem earned his BH-VT. He is now Ch Sunrock Erupting Vesuvius CGN RN IBAR BH-VT. They are both making great progress in their bitework as well so hopefully next year both Nadia and Mayhem can go for a 1, provided the tracking and obedience follow suit!

·
Got mutt?
13,655 Posts
Congratulations!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: Artemis

·
Registered