Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kyro likes to eat food off the counters and tables, because he has reached the height where he can. He takes pens and papers off the coffee table and trashes them, Anyway.. I heard putting mouse traps on the counters and tables is effective... Anyone ever tried it?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I never heard of mouse traps, but Cody used to do that - he was tall. we tried putting pie tins and light weight things that made a lot of noise (he did not like loud noises), but it never seemed to work. he always seemed to at least get a dishrag. I'd be a little nervous about the traps, I would hate to see part of Kyro get caught in one.

cc

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
06gs said:
ouch you dont think thats kinda cruel? what if his paw gets stuck in that
Evidentally when people use mouse-traps to train the dogs to stay off the counter, they place the mousetrap upside down. I guess that lessens the chance of the dog becoming injured. I know that many people have used this method with success but it's not one that I would suggest...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I been teaching jack not to put his nose to the coffee table like if there is something on there that he wants.. you have to watch him closely and when hes thinking about getting something off there ( you should be able to tell) just make a noise that can get his attention away from the table.. like me and jack.. he goes to sniff the table and to put his nose on it.. i see him getting it in his head and i go chhii chiii or ahh ahh .. i wish i could make sound on here LOL.. it would make things better to understand.. but you keep that up and they get the idea after a while that if they get to close tot he table mommas gonna get after me..

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
we did the mouse trap and it worked.. the way we did it is.. put the mouse trap set.. upside down on the counter and then carefully put a paperplate on top.. when the dog hits the plate the trap will trip and the plate will go flying and scare the dog and will stop the counter surfing... good luck

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is your dog used to jumping up on you and others without permission? If so, that might the problem. What I have learned is that Princi can jump up on me or others when she has permission to do so ONLY, ie...playing or jumping up for treats/tricks. This way she has learned that she is also not allowed to jump up on tables or counter tops even though there might be some very enticing treats up there. I just don't like using the "scaring" method to teach my dog anything.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
MrDesi said:
Is your dog used to jumping up on you and others without permission? If so, that might the problem. What I have learned is that Princi can jump up on me or others when she has permission to do so ONLY, ie...playing or jumping up for treats/tricks. This way she has learned that she is also not allowed to jump up on tables or counter tops even though there might be some very enticing treats up there. I just don't like using the "scaring" method to teach my dog anything.

Good Luck
Naveen
I agree, I am lucky with Lex, she won't surf a counter and will not jump up. But my other two ding-a-lings will given the opportunity. I just make a point not to ever leave anything out and obviously discourage the behavior anytime I see it. I prefer that to other avenues.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We have tried the mouse traps. It helped. I took a couple days and they realized that counter surfing was fun anymore.

CasualSeks said:
Kyro likes to eat food off the counters and tables, because he has reached the height where he can. He takes pens and papers off the coffee table and trashes them, Anyway.. I heard putting mouse traps on the counters and tables is effective... Anyone ever tried it?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I think one of the things to look at is why is getting on the counters so interesting? Leaving things around to intice an unsupervised youngerster is just alittle too irresistable for them. I also found that its good to teach them a command to leave things alone. That way you can have things at their level and they know they should not touch them....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts