Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are having trouble with counter-surfing. I have 2 scat mats that we put on couch, and rotate on kitchen counters, dining room table, etc. while my wife and I are out. They seem to work at the place they are located the day of, but I think the dogs maybe can smell the rubber. I've heard mouse traps can work, but I'm not sure about trying them. Does anybody have any tips for countersurfing and trash-picking, or any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
In my experience, mousetraps in the garbage can work like a charm. You do need to be careful if you have cats or small dogs, though. Some people suggest putting something like a sheet of newspaper on top of the set trap to protect their small pet's toes. I think they make a mousetrap looking contraption that makes a noise and startles the dog, but can't hurt them. I don't know if that one works well or not.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
put tabasco or habenero on the counter tops i did it with my trash can and it worked wonders
and you wonder why your dog doesn't bond with you, and is hard to motivate to do something?

People always look for tricks, tips, etc., aka, easy way out... what happened to training a dog to not go on the counter? Best way to stop countersurfing is to never let it happen... If it does happen, you have to make a mental note to keep a better eye on your dog, and don't give freedom that hasn't been earned. Burning the crap out of your dog to teach a lesson is not ok in my book. I don't like to teach dogs through fear either, I think fear, intimidation, and purposely inflicting pain have no place in dealing with your dogs.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
and you wonder why your dog doesn't bond with you, and is hard to motivate to do something?

People always look for tricks, tips, etc., aka, easy way out... what happened to training a dog to not go on the counter? Best way to stop countersurfing is to never let it happen... If it does happen, you have to make a mental note to keep a better eye on your dog, and don't give freedom that hasn't been earned. Burning the crap out of your dog to teach a lesson is not ok in my book. I don't like to teach dogs through fear either, I think fear, intimidation, and purposely inflicting pain have no place in dealing with your dogs.
My thought too.

Is your kitchen in a spot where you can put baby gates up? If not, why not clean the counters, spray with vinegar (eliminates food odors) and eventually, they will figure out there is nothing interesting there.

And this is my personal opinion, and what I do at home: Chase is crated when Im not home. I feel comfortable doing this because he gets at least 2 hours of physical activity, and one hour of mental/playtime activity, so I dont feel like he is going to be bored in there.

If you cant crate your dogs, make a room that is dog proof, and call it the doggy play den while you are out.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
I don't know--seems to me that what is happening with this form of training is merely the practice of natural consequences. The dog has no idea that you have anything to do with the appearance of something like a mousetrap; he just finds out that if he puts his nose in the garbage can, some kind of little animal snaps at it. Might as well keep his nose out of the trash.

Keeping the dog or an item out of harm's way is perhaps ideal (in a crate or behind gates), but in conjunction with that, I think using natural consequences can have a place in "proofing" the dog's behavior.

IMHO

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,621 Posts
I think you have to be vigilant when teaching no counter surfing especially since our beloveds are certainly at counter level. Coco often has her nose up to the counter sniffing and she is very tall. She is raw fed and likes to sniff but she knows she cannot touch anything on the counter ever. She is often in the kitchen with me so we always practice no touching on the counter. She is smart because she knows if we practice in the kitchen she will eventually be rewarded with a treat and she is extremely food motivated.

A quick story...Coco and I were in a pet store buying something. The owner asked to give her a treat which I allowed. They put the treat on the counter for her. Coco sniffed, looked at me and sat down because she knows she can never take anything off a counter anywhere. I gave her the treat and explained why she had not taken it. I was very proud of my good girl!! :butfly:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I don't know--seems to me that what is happening with this form of training is merely the practice of natural consequences. The dog has no idea that you have anything to do with the appearance of something like a mousetrap; he just finds out that if he puts his nose in the garbage can, some kind of little animal snaps at it. Might as well keep his nose out of the trash.

Keeping the dog or an item out of harm's way is perhaps ideal (in a crate or behind gates), but in conjunction with that, I think using natural consequences can have a place in "proofing" the dog's behavior.

IMHO
I agree there's ways to proof a behavior, but I completely disagree that putting habanero on your counter is an acceptable way to stop countersurfing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bedetti, what is the reason for the counter surfing? Do you frequently leave food on the counter? Are there toys stored in a box there? I feel like counter surfing is one of those behaviors that would not be self-rewarding. Why would they do it if there wasn't something up there they wanted? I really don't think it's fun for them to put their paws up there for no reason whatsoever. You should take some of the training tips in this thread, for sure, but I feel like even if you didn't train them out of it, simply not keeping food up there would eventually extinguish the behavior. They should be crated while you are away, and not allowed to surf while you are home.
As for getting in the trash, that may take a bit more hands-on training.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have an insanely food driven boy. Best, most effective, training technique I have found is the repeated negative reinforcement of having to scoop loose poop. Had his humans trained in no time not to leave food on the counter ;)

Oh, and to put something on top of the trash can that makes a lot of noise if he noses into it while I'm in the bathroom. Can filled with pennies works great. I know he's in therre, he's scared away!

·
Registered
841 Posts
KC is (was) the worst counter surfer, and he didn't start until he was 3 years old. We tried keeping things off the counter, but it used to take only a second for him to pounce.

I found the video below by kikopup, and it really seems to help. I wouldn't trust him to have unsupervised access to food on a counter for an extended period, but I can now answer the door or phone without him even attempting to look at what's on the counter. An added bonus is that it's fun spending that kind of time with KC, he's so happy when he figures things out. I wish I'd seen this video long ago.....

Solving Counter Surfing- Clicker Dog Training - YouTube

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got a trash can with a lid and can hear him lift and drop the lid while contemplating eating its contents. I trained him to stay off the couch because I have small=squishable kids. The counter surfing I eliminated by him only being out when Im home and making sure he's with me constantly. He really doesn't try anymore its much easier stealing from the three yr old for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts