Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Page 1

So I ordered a Dobercoat from Cosy Horse and we love it! Claudia was wonderful to work with and very speedy with her communications. She helped me pick out the right combo of colors to make Redman’s coat look awesome. I did blue with black trim and straps with reflective stripes and metal closures (Thanks Claudia for helping me pick this combo). It looks super sexy on Redman; I will post pics as soon as I take some. The quality is great, it looks and feels like it will last a long time. It shipped super fast (wayy faster than I expected for a custom item) and Claudia even included a hand written note and some treats for Redman, such awesome customer service I would recommend them to everyone.

Redman got to wear it this morning as it was a bit chilly at 5am and after doing his duty in the backyard he was already shivering, he seems to get cold so easily. So I went in and grabbed it, threw it on him and within 5min he was all warmed up. It’s probably a bit to much to be wearing right now but I’m still working on getting him some lighter sweaters.

Also ordered him a pair of Muttluks boots in blue and they match his coat exactly. He is going to look so cute this winter. I will post a review of those when it gets snowy and we have a chance to use them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Claudia IS the BEST! We have a raincoat, dobercoat, dobersnood and a collar from her and love them. The raincoat is awesome for getting the princess to go out in the rain and it works well on Windy fall days. The dobercoat is made VERY well, is thick and allows her freedom of movement. Plus they are both easy to get on and we had her put reflective webbing on both coats. The snood is funny, I laugh like crazy everytime I put it on her, but we do not have a fenced yard, so walking in the winter is less than pleasant. Keeps her little floppy ears nice and warm.:sunglasse

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo), TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron #1
18,216 Posts
Claudia and Cozy Horse Coats are the best. Baron has an unlined raincoat and a lined raincoat. Also have a Dober snood. Excellent quality and service.

Lined Raincoat

Unlined Raincoat

Dober Snood

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you guys recommend something like the "snood" for cold climates? We live in Manitoba Canada... it can get pretty freezing. We're already at below freezing temperatures overnight and so we're trying to get prepped for the winter. (We just rescued our first dobe)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at the pics, it doesnt seem like the coats cover the belly area as well. On the website for Cozy Horse Coats, the 2 straps are described to overlap each other thus covering the belly. Is this true?

Are there coats that will cover the belly area?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Koko's coats cover her belly. It depends on the measurements you choose for your coat (all can be custom made).

The snood is fabulous in the winter - Koko loves it. In the subzero wind and snow last year we were able to get some exercise with her dobercoat and snood. It keeps her ears and head warm so she doesn't cry from frozen ears.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looking at the pics, it doesnt seem like the coats cover the belly area as well. On the website for Cozy Horse Coats, the 2 straps are described to overlap each other thus covering the belly. Is this true?

Are there coats that will cover the belly area?
The rain coats and fleece Dobercoats have flaps that overlap on the belly. The Winter Dobercoats do not but you can order a removable belly band that slides over the 2 belly straps.
Cozy Horse does have coats that cover the chest and belly area but right now these coats are only available in small dog sizes. Bigger dog coats in that style are in the works and should be available soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
[I followed the link! I'm in love. It's everything I've looked for and can't find. My girl has tore up a cheat rain coat. I want one of everything! It seems pricey But since it is custom and quality I can understand why. I'm wondering how warm to make her fleece and winter coat. In her sixth year, she now likes blankets. Before, she would get too warm.. I've also tried looking for boots. I can never find any worth the price.. any ideas?

So I ordered a Dobercoat from Cosy Horse and we love it! Claudia was wonderful to work with and very speedy with her communications. She helped me pick out the right combo of colors to make Redman’s coat look awesome. I did blue with black trim and straps with reflective stripes and metal closures (Thanks Claudia for helping me pick this combo). It looks super sexy on Redman; I will post pics as soon as I take some. The quality is great, it looks and feels like it will last a long time. It shipped super fast (wayy faster than I expected for a custom item) and Claudia even included a hand written note and some treats for Redman, such awesome customer service I would recommend them to everyone.

Redman got to wear it this morning as it was a bit chilly at 5am and after doing his duty in the backyard he was already shivering, he seems to get cold so easily. So I went in and grabbed it, threw it on him and within 5min he was all warmed up. It’s probably a bit to much to be wearing right now but I’m still working on getting him some lighter sweaters.

Also ordered him a pair of Muttluks boots in blue and they match his coat exactly. He is going to look so cute this winter. I will post a review of those when it gets snowy and we have a chance to use them.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
my mini-review:

To start, I'm glad everybody's experience with Cozy Horse is better than ours.

We ordered three jackets from Cozy Horse to get ready for winter/wet season. One rain jacket, one standard winter jacket and one winter jacket with a collar. We paid upwards of $230 for these. Not the cheapest choice out there.

All three jackets are considered custom because we provided measurements: back, girth and skirt length.

We emailed back and forth a few times to decide on color, stripes, and the collar was custom made for us. We sent a check (no paypal) and once Claudia received the check, she proceeded to make the jackets. In about three weeks they were done and mailed to us.

Pros:
- good materials. the test will be waterproof-ness. But they seem to be made of a good nylon material.
- workmanship is good. Don't know enough about making these things... we had a coat custom made locally few years ago, based on that, Cozy Horse is about average.
- turnaround time - as advertised.

Cons:
- dealing with online vendor... they rely on customer provided measurements. So be careful in your measurements. Cozy Horse wants to charge you to make any adjustments, not including you have to pay to mail them back. In hindsight, for a 'predictable' pure bred dog like Doberman, we should have looked for standard (non-custom) jackets.
- price: not cheap.
- customer service: post sale - you have to pay if there is anything wrong and she does not accept returns. We overestimated the skirt length by 1 3/4". To have them shortened, it's another $55, not including the shipping to get them back to her. So these become over $300 in jackets. Again, not cheap. It will be cheaper for us to find someone locally to alter them for us. Just doesn't seem right to have a customer have to fix things themselves. I would have to imagine were I working with someone locally, they would gladly make the alterations at no additional charge to make it right for the customer. So back to my statement about dealing with online vendors. And there are folks very happy with this model of buying pet jackets. YMMV.
- winter jackets are not well 'padded' - they don't seem to have a lot of filling in them. I think you have to specify (and pay extra for) extra filling.

so anyway, once we get these altered and fitting properly, they'll probably be fine.

and again, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
These coats look really nice.

Just. Wanted to mention that Greenhawk in Canada makes similar dog coats for $20-30.
Both my Dobes wear them. Same. Material as my horse blankets.
They wear well, extremely durable!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just for everyones FYI Greenhawk makes dog coats starting at $29.95 - $36.95(canadian) 200gms of fill, water proof and wind proof I have 2 for my girl and she hasn't been able to wreck them yet. (as she tears thru the bush 100mph :) ) I have a store here in Sault Ste. Marie, most dobies I see take lg size thru to xxl size. This info is just for your FYI because I know decent dog coats are hard to find!

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
To answer the question on the ears if your Doberman has the long show cropped ears and you live where it freezes the tips of the ears could freeze.Depending on allot of factors how long you are out,the temperature, wind chill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts