Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Gus is just over a year, and super wonderful, and behaves SO well for treats and even just when he's supervised. But, sometimes, lately more often, when I'm not there (and I don't just mean not at home, but in a different room) he'll do something destructive. It's never a big deal, and I wouldn't attribute it to separation anxiety because like 60% of the time, when I'm not at home, he doesn't do anything that would suggest it. But like this morning, I woke up and he was asleep on my bed but, at some point in the night, chewed a fancy pillow. Obviously I couldn't do anything about it because it happened probably hours before, and he wouldn't do it if I were watching him, or just, awake.

Sorry for the rant, I guess if I'm wondering, if you're not there, or awake to witness misbehavior, how do you stop it? I don't want him to not sleep in my bed with me or anything.

Some other examples of stuff he does when I'm not looking is, he's chewed some random stuff in the house, like shoes or knick-knacks, or he'll get into food somehow, like the garbage.

I feel like he's not bad enough of the time when I'm gone to resort to confining him to his crate when I'm not there every second to watch him... What do you guys think? I honestly haven't witnessed him chew anything that wasn't a toy in a months!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess so. If I see something happen I take it away from him and tell him "NO" then give him one of his own toys and make sure it's out of reach. But since it's Gus, it's usually destroyed anyway. I guess I'll have to, yeah. Blehhhh.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Is he only a year old? I don't leave my puppies unsupervised until I'm sure they are over random destructiveness. I keep them gated in a puppy proof room, like the kitchen, or keep them with me, like if I was showering....I'd bring toys in the bathroom and close the door. Some take longer then others to mature. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,322 Posts
You may be able to get away with having him sleep with you still if you close the door to keep him in your bedroom, and if you put all chewables out of his reach--or make it so he would wake you up in the process of getting to something (like taking the pillow out from under your head to chew :))
Of course, the corners of your dresser and your bed's legs could still suffer. You'll have to think it through--can he reach the curtains? Is there a chair he could gnaw on? Can he rip up a corner of carpet or flooring? Garbage cans, shoes, clothes hamper, books and magazines.....

During the day, if you're not home, I'm afraid that means crate. Perhaps you could set up a "safe" room like a bathroom if you think he needs more room, but if he is a dedicated troublemaker, he will find something to chew up that you hadn't thought of. If you are at home, can you make it possible for him to be with you in any room? You might be able to watch him closer and prevent wanton destruction.

If he is ripping things up, the chance of him actually eating a piece is too high to take a chance--obstructions can be life-threatening, as opposed to the discomfort (maybe--he may just sleep away in a crate) of being in a crate for a few hours.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
He's still such a puppy. You are really inviting disaster to leave a puppy alone in the house and not crated or confined to a safe room. Can't you puppy-proof your kitchen and put up a gate to keep him there when you are gone? Also, he needs some GOOD toys to engage him and satisfy that strong chewing instinct. Try frozen kongs, frozen knuckle bones, and the "brain toys" that have to be pushed or thrown around to release a treat. It is not reasonable to expect him not to destroy at that age. Give him suitable toys and stop his free ranging!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I know I am just repeating what others have said. However, male dogs don't grow a brain until they around 2 years old. We do not ever leave them unsupervised until around that age. If we are not there to watch them 100% of the time, he is put outside or in his crate. It prevents a lot of bad behavior and getting bad habits started.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Take the time and spy on him and once caught in the act, swoop in and correct him. Once he starts realizing you got these psychic powers, it should curb.
I've tremendously curbed Nubis tip toe stalking my one cat by playing his game and quietly tip toeing behind him and then, lightly touch his butt with my finger. Lol

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver is 15 months and I would never let him out of my sight. He likes to steal things like paper (loves mail) and pens. Everything we have is up high or put away. They are very busy and know if you aren't paying attention. He will take stuff out of the laudry hamper, he knows we will chase him, he always runs to the dining room and it takes two of us to catch him, he loves it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'll agree with what the others said :) Gunner is the same way....he is really well behaved when I'm watching him, but he always finds trouble when left alone. He's only 9 months and is ALWAYS crated at night and when I'm away from home. I really look forward to the day when I can trust him to be loose in the house all the time, but I agree that it's not worth risking his health with eating something. Good luck! We just have to be patient ;)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The good news is, he's only going to chew up the things he can reach.

When Mensa was a pup, I had to be very careful not to leave anything she could tear up and eat within her reach. I just hang stuff up, keep closet doors shut, etc.

Things I couldn't move out of her reach, like the wires behind the computer / TV and the grilles on my speakers, I covered with 1/2" rat-wire. The speakers looked like the speakers you'd imagine seeing in The Joint, if there were big, tall JBLs in the prisons ( there probably are, here in California - if not, the Taxpayers are being ripped-off )

The other thing I did was to make sure she always had a big selection of toys to chew on.

Mensa only damaged a few things that weren't hers, but I was always careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts