Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today at Obedience class our trainer told us we should all go to this correction clinic tomorrow! I decided I am going to go and I really hope this gives me my first step into competing...cause its practice...but still an event. Also I am looking forward to the bonding with Duch :) I always like stuff we can do together! Has anyone else gone to something like this? It sounds wonderful! She is totally ready for it...Im worried I will do something wrong...cause I still don't know all the little rules on the humans part like exactly when commands both verbal and hand signals...and praise...are to be used and how much?
If anyone has any advice on things that are standard in the ring...but a person that has never competed should look out for?

Here is the link to the clinic Im going to...It is pretty neat they have one almost every month...
http://www.fvdtc.org/webapps/v5/fvdtc?t=competition&g=clinics

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha! yeah I dont know why they are called correction clinics...but I really don't know what to expect it to be like...Im just guessing its like a practice show...the name correction clinic makes it sounds like Im taking duchess for professional...institutional help:) Time is coming closer for show time...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yay! lol I was so nervous...and I always have these high expectations for everything...and things are always more laid back then I think they will be. It was nice cause it was basically like class...but the healing was a pattern...done individually. Duchess started out alittle rough...she smelled a treat on the ground in the beginning...but then she did everything really well! I was so proud of her on her about turns...she usually lags...but she did them awesomely...the only other thing I know I didnt do right was I leaned forward a little when I said "Duchess come" on the recall...I always do...Its like I feel she is still in puppy class and I havent grown out of the habit of having to encourage her to come...even though I don't have to anymore.
most importantly there was another dobe there! and Duchess was right next to her during sit and down stays. The other dobe kept getting up too...but it didnt bother duchess :) she stayed perfectly.
also I was alittle upset...cause I didnt hear that the second time around healing we could do it off leash...and so im sad duch missed out on that...she does even better off leash.
But all in all her sits were fast, she came and did her front with a real straight sit...her figure 8 got real good after the first time around. and she stood perfectly for examination. I am also glad that 3 dogs and owners and then her trainer were there too...my mom and matt went with...so I had alot of support...
Our trainer said she thinks she will be ready to show very soon. and is going to let me know about future clinics...and stuff...Im so happy I went :)
and most importantly...Duchess had a great time!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Awww sounds wonderful!!! Sounds fun too and of course it is no surprise that she did great because she is GREAT!!!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dakari! She is a well behaved little lady...so mellow and calm while working...but at the same time she loved it. Ive never been to a show...but they said it was a fun match. I dont know what a show is set up like to tell the difference. but it was great! I have to miss the one in september...cause of class...but can make the rest of the other months. Im trying to find more of them! It is neat to see the other dogs...and can work on more proofing then what is done in class...since there all the same dogs. It was only $6 dollars to enter...my mom said I should have brought the video camera :) but I didnt :(

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sounds like it was fun LD. Of course Duchess would do great. Did you expect anything less from her? She is a doberman! Great practice for you guys. My club has show-n go's every other Sun. or so often to practice. Keep up the good work. And next time don't forget the camera!:)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone! I just looked up when each club around her has them...and made a calendar with them all! lol. I highlighted the ones Im definately going to...and which ones I will go to...if I have time...and if its not too far away. They are a nice little activity to do with your dog :)
I didnt bring the camera...cause of flashes...but I forgot...the video camera would have been even better...cause ann your right...its always nice to see what your doing wrong and what could look better :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts