701 - 720 of 825 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,593 Posts
While I'm not surprised, I'm so angry and upset by this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-table-high_woodward-1210p:homepage/story-ans

I continue to be baffled by this country turning a public health crisis into something political. How we got to a place where we could even be in this situation is beyond me.
I'm right there with you, MC. And the sad part is, as soon as the news broke, a couple of my coworkers started tearing into the media for printing more lies. I texted back that this was all recorded on tape so it's fact, not made up by anyone. Crickets after that.

Sigh...

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,083 Posts
I personally have a lot of sympathy with the concept that a President shouldn't go out and preach doom and gloom and panic the country. Trump did do some things to try to get ahead of the thing, but aside from that, what was he supposed to do?

Could he have insisted on shutting down the economy at that point without being attacked for being alarmist and racist? Could he have gotten industry and the medical system to pitch in and work together based on what was known then? He would have been fighting against a head wind from people who would accuse him of trying to be a dictator and trying to gain power for himself. They would say he was just trying to divert attention from the impeachment process that was going on.

In our system that gives power to the governors and mayors to manage their own jurisdictions, would it have been much use for Trump to try to "lay down the law?" We've seen how much good that has done with the unrest going on—people who don't like Trump would have been out there screaming that he was trying to control them, the same as they are now. Power is divided between the federal government and the states—the President doesn't have that much power to enforce things over the heads of governors and mayors who don't want to take his advice. That much has become obvious when we look at the varied responses of cities toward the current rioting and protests.

Did you see what Fauci said today about the issue? He said he didn't remember making the comments about Trump that were attributed to him. "If you notice, others have said that. You know, you should ask others. I don't recall that at all," Fauci said, adding that he "didn't get any sense" Trump was distorting things." Most of the advisors around the President, and people like Pelosi and Cuomo were saying much the same thing as what Trump said publicly at that time about the possible dangers of the virus.

Hindsight can tell us a lot—but I think it is unfair to preach what should have been done when people were dealing with a fluid situation with a lot of unknowns.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Trump was in a NO win situation - As we haven't been threw anything like this before . My wife and I , from the very beginning thought they could be down playing it some to control panic , one thing was the use of masks - they , to me , really down played the important use of wearing them - yet what were they to do ? As they needed them for the health care workers , we all know that it would have been pure chaos if they told the truth at first .

The bad part that both party's have turned it into such a political mess - instead of working together to find the answers on how to fix this problem , Just me here , but both party's aren't worth a " Blank "

I , just ready like all of the rest of you just wish it to be gone :2smile:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,083 Posts
I'm not sure how we can do this, given the way that politics is overflowing into everything about our lives these days, and I am just as guilty as anyone else here of bringing politics into this discussion, but as we have requested before—let's try not to get TOO political in our finger-pointing, folks. If that can be done…….

This IS supposed to be a coronavirus thread….

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Just spoke to a friend from the past yesterday .
She used to work at our office (much younger girl) .
She graduated from college so she departed our practice to engage in her career in “Social Services”.
So she is now a contract tracer for the department of health.
She advised me to trust her , with everything she has seen first hand ......wear a mask and stay away from as many people as much as possible.
She let me know our state is way behind and there is much more going on in our state than we even know about currently.
So glad we are at home, thank you lord for all the blessings.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ken, I am just so sorry about the loss of your Father. Where in the world have I been that I missed this. I feel so bad for you and mad at myself for not being aware of it.
Sending condolences and love.
Bonnie

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Just spoke to a friend from the past yesterday .
She used to work at our office (much younger girl) .
She graduated from college so she departed our practice to engage in her career in “Social Services”.
So she is now a contract tracer for the department of health.
She advised me to trust her , with everything she has seen first hand ......wear a mask and stay away from as many people as much as possible.
She let me know our state is way behind and there is much more going on in our state than we even know about currently.
So glad we are at home, thank you lord for all the blessings.
Florida is such a mess right now. Stay home, stay safe.

·
Registered
One Red Male
15 Posts
Hello from Georgia!

I'm not located in Atlanta, where cases are most concentrated. I'm near Savannah, which is on the coast. There is a lot of traffic in an out of the area, also is a college town. I see a lot of people out in retail spaces with their masks on because they're required, but mostly the public doesn't wear masks walking around or in social spaces.

I'm not yet in the competitive/training world- but I imagine if people are at least wearing a mask or having evidence of negative COVID test/symptoms lets them run their business still.

Hope everyone is staying safe and is feeling well. My condolences to anyone and families affected by the virus. Please wear a mask or maintain a social distance from strangers. It's great to socialize, but trust- it is worth protecting your health and the one nearest and dearest to you!

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
So how is everybody hangin gin there ???

Drove over to Rushville to the IH dealer the other day for a curbside pickup of filters and oil , One of the sells men pulled out about 10 feet - shuts his truck off and we had a nice talk - Then it happened - we just had to talk about YKW - I hate even saying that word I hate it so much - then we got to the part - did we know anybody personally that had it - I only knew one and that was enough - He went on that his daughter had it , son in law , the parts manager's wife there had it and it when on and on , I asked did they have any idea where they got it ?? Oh yeah he said , they went to a BIG wedding there in Rushville . Well Duh ! Just shaken my head

·
Premium Member
8,356 Posts
We are all hanging in here in SE Pennsylvania - Our oldest daughter did return to NYC about 3 weeks ago after spending 4 months with us. She is still working remote, but said that things are not too bad in NYC. No indoor dining yet, but lots of outdoor dining with streets blocked off for it. She said people are very good about wearing masks. She has been on the subway a couple of times since getting back. Our youngest daughter has started Graduate school - she is doing it from home this semester, but says she is moving into NYC come hell or high water for the semester starting in January (She goes to Fordham at Lincoln Center in Manhattan).
My husband is still working from home till at least November now.
We are going to take a 2 week driving vacation next month while we have our daughter at home to watch the dogs :grin2:
Heading out to the Dakota's, Wyoming and Montana. We plan to just do take out dining and totally social distance. I'm a little nervous, but not overly. Will carry a boatload of alcohol wipes and plenty of masks. Also planning to bring drinks and sandwich fixings (PB&J). I'm so looking forward to getting away for a bit and seeing places like Yellowstone!! They are all states we've never been too.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Still hanging on down here.

My son is supposed to start in-person classes on Monday. Yeah, I know... but it's not just about academics. A lot of what they do in class is social and community learning. And the special ed kids don't have to move between classes or anything. However, if he can't or wont wear his mask all day, he will have to go back to remote classes.

I'm ready for cooler weather, so that I can DO THINGS with the dogs. I want to try for an RN on at least Leo, and there are some other parkour organizations besides All Dogs Parkour that I want to poke around in. Temps in the 90s (with HI in the 100s) are just too much....

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I just want to hug my parents, but it isn't safe. :(

701 - 720 of 825 Posts