Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to reduce the amount of copper she is taking in? I am switching her to Blue Buffalo, which I know is a good food, but anything else I can do?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I've heard Honest Kitchen is a really good food for liver issues - you may want to PM Murrey Dobe as I believe that is what she uses.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Any suggestions on how to reduce the amount of copper she is taking in? I am switching her to Blue Buffalo, which I know is a good food, but anything else I can do?
Just because Blue Buffalo might be considered a good food doesn't necessarily mean it's a low copper food. I looked on their website and couldn't find any mention of copper content in their kibbles. That would mean you'd have to call them up and specifically ask about copper content.

Yes, I feed my liver dog(s) Honest Kitchen dehydrated foods. Their copper content is about as low as you'll find in a non-prescription diet. It's also minimally processed, which is a good thing. VERY expensive, tho.

This link gives you the copper content of some kibbles. I wouldn't feed a dog with a copper storage problem a kibble that provides more than 9 or 10 mg./kg. The lower you can go, the better.

The Best Foods For Dogs With Chronic Active Hepatitis A Dogs Life Photo

A dog can also pick up copper from the water pipes in your house. Some people give their dog with a copper storage problem bottled water in an effort to avoid this.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
As was explained to you here and elsewhere previously, she needs to have a liver biopsy / copper stain to find out if copper storage is her problem. Did she have that?

If it is her problem, the vet might recommend a drug called penicillamine to help rid the body of copper - it can make the dog nauseous. In our case, my dog was only on it for a couple of weeks and once he came off of that, he started taking chelated zinc 30-60 minutes prior to his meals to help prevent copper storage. He ate Honest Kitchen Zeal) it's a whitefish formula, they say that liver dogs should eat white meat, fish being ideal, but chicken is ok, too) for a while but went off it, and has been eating Royal Canin Hepatic Support kibble heartily.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
As was explained to you here and elsewhere previously, she needs to have a liver biopsy / copper stain to find out if copper storage is her problem. Did she have that?
Good catch, Mary. I thought this was a dog who had definitely been diagnosed with CAH/copper storage.

Just because a dog has a liver problem doesn't mean they're storing copper. The bitch I have here had liver biopsies, has been diagnosed with CAH, but does NOT store copper.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was just informed yesterday evening that it is copper. I havent had the chance to get her meds but will be getting them after work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts