Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copper at about 5.5 pounds, he is currently 54.2 pounds, eating 2 bowls of iams red bag lamb/rice mix, as well yes plain yogurt mixed in with some raw beef.

The second attached picture is him taking his weekly bath.

and the third and fourth picture attached was him around 4 and a half months.

Copper is coming along quite well and does not have to be locked up in his crate anymore! He earned the right to be a house dog after staying home alone (outside his crate) yesterday for 9 hours without chewing/biting anything other than his toys and didn't go to the bathroom. That was about his 3rd time staying home alone outside his crate this week and he has not done anything wrong any of the times.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Handsome boy. Does he need a special bath once a week? Just wondering. Mine get a bath maybe 2-3 times a year is all.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
no haha i give him one once every week or two weeks cause he gets all dirty from the park!
ah, that would suck :) Mine get dirty at the river but swim so most of it washes off and brushes off by the time we get home.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What a pretty boy and sounds like he is very smart, too.

Where did you get him, If you don't mind saying?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Copper at about 5.5 pounds, he is currently 54.2 pounds, eating 2 bowls of iams red bag lamb/rice mix, as well yes plain yogurt mixed in with some raw beef.

The second attached picture is him taking his weekly bath.

and the third and fourth picture attached was him around 4 and a half months.

Copper is coming along quite well and does not have to be locked up in his crate anymore! He earned the right to be a house dog after staying home alone (outside his crate) yesterday for 9 hours without chewing/biting anything other than his toys and didn't go to the bathroom. That was about his 3rd time staying home alone outside his crate this week and he has not done anything wrong any of the times.
A little tip, I wouldnt recommend feeding faw food with kibble. The two mixed together can cause an inbalance with digesting because meat tends to take longer to digest. Try feeding one meal kibble, one meal beef.:)
What a cute boy, I hate it when my dogs get dirty, luckily I dont have to many with overly greasy or oily coats. Makes it much easier to manage as far as baths! lol ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol no he doesnt have a ggreasy or oily coat, he is very much show quality as his parents were champions, bread and croppped by sam grant of Kay Wood Dobes, i just give him the baths because he rolls around on the baseball field in the park and i dont want to get our house messy! hahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o yeah haha and no the breeder which is also a vet (sam Grant suggested feeding him it and hes been eating it ever sense he was a young young pup, never had any digestion problems!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I know a lady that manufacturer Raw diets...she told me, it doesn't mix with kibble...for the reason wgsdluver already said.

Fantastic job on training Cooper to be so respectful in the house unsupervised...at such a young age...very smart puppy indeed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very cute pup. Please stop feeding Iams, it's a very poor kibble. Any benefit from feeding raw (which when properly portioned is a great diet) is lost in combining it with something like that. Also, the idea of kibble and raw digesting at different rates is a myth - I just don't see the point in doing it, unless to feed raw meat bones for teeth (and ground hamburger isn't going to do that). If you can afford it, go all raw. If you can't, at least get a higher quality kibble - even Kirkland is miles ahead of Iams.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes we are going to continue feeding him the mix as he we have his whole life, and he has not had any problems. Thanks for the advice thought, and as to the food, we did not even realize iams is poor quality, I think were at least feeding the higher end Iams too him though but im not sure here is a link to what he eats Iams® ProActive Health? Adult Lamb Meal & Rice

Dont be alarmed that its for 1year+ dogs as ive heard from many sources including dr. grant Dobermans should never really eat puppy food because they grow to fast and feeding puppy isnt great for their growth.

2nd if the food really isnt that healthy what brand would you guys recommend? Thanks guys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We were told to feed him this so i guess we didnt know much better but any healthy suggestions for new food is appreciated

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Read everything you can on dog foods, also ask your vet. I've been going between EVO and Hills Science Diet my dobe is 5 years old so I've been buying Adult Chicken and Rice Dinner. I was just at the vet and she has this on her shelves to buy. :) But do your homework...beautiful dog. I grew up in Rochester/Pontiac area...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feed my pup Blue Buffalo and it is really good... One of the best dog foods at Petsmart... I read up alot on it and you want to stay away from grains and stuff that says "meal"

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What a handsome boy!

A lot of vets don't know much about food so they often suggest food from the companies that support them ($$)

Some great foods are Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo (normal and wilderness), Purina Pro Plan, Wellness, Fromms, Natural Balance (I think), Acana, and Orijen. There are plenty more that I've forgot to mention/

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am not a RAW expert, but I have heard from many other that it is fine to feed raw and kibble together, you dont want to feed raw bones and kibble, but the meat and kibble is ok. I do this with my boy and never have any issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts