Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog show this weekend and I need to cook some bait. I am taking Liver with me. How do I cook this? Do I buy frozen liver at the grocery store??

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Calves liver works best. Boil it in water with LOTS and LOTS of garlic powder. Then take it out, dry it with paper towels and bake it in the oven. Not too long, just enough to make it into shoe leather looking stuff. Yummy!
I also like chicken breasts. I buy them already grilled at the meat market.
Or you can buy frozen fajita strips (beef or chicken).

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I did the liver but just could NOT keep it stashed in my mouth as bait! I ended up grilling hamburgers as bait...cooked them so they are well done, no black on the outside to stick to your hands. Worked well for me!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
The only drawback with liver brownies is that they crumble.
Party loves string cheese.
I'd much rather put cheese or chicken in my mouth than liver but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The only drawback with liver brownies is that they crumble.
Party loves string cheese.
I'd much rather put cheese or chicken in my mouth than liver but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Probably a good thing I'm not a handler-there are NO conditions in this world that could possibly result in me putting liver in my mouth. :)

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
There have been times when it made me gag and I just couldn't do it. I tend to hold it in my teeth which doesn't exactly look nice but I'm NOT sticking it in my jaw. I don't know how Gwen does it, She used to have a jaw full all the time, GAG!!
Give me chicken, cheese, steak....then if you accidently swallow some it doesn't gross you out. What is really nice is when you are showing in a barn on dirt. You forget, pick up your bait and stick it back in your mouth after it laid on the ground. Then you have gritty horse poopy dirt in your mouth. Yum!

·
Extraordimary
5,149 Posts
I prefer the pork liver over the beef liver. The pork liver is just smoother on the outside. Sometimes I find the beef liver a little flaky. I boil it with a teaspoon of garlic puree. Then run it under water to sort of rinse it and then lay it out on cookie sheets, sprinkle with garlic powder and bake. I bake at a low temp for a long time, turning it once. I want it to be chewy, not crispy.

I also do the liver brownies, and I don't find it too crumbly if you get the consistency of the pureed liver right. The dogs love it. I don't use onion soup mix in it though (that ingredient really surprises me) - I substitute Knorr oxtail soup mix. I always hand it to my handler and he usually comes begging me for more to use with his special.

I never dreamed I'd see the day that I would put liver in my mouth but I have done it if absolutely required. But just between the teeth! No way is that touching my tongue!

·
memories
1,756 Posts
Can't believe I'm going to tell you this; I grew up eating liver and onions, and loved it. That was back before anyone knew it was bad for you. When I was showing dogs, a long, long time ago... I used to eat the liver right along with the dogs. OK, not as much as them, but I ate it. I LIKED it. I did fix it a little differently, not as much garlic, a little salt, etc. You have never seen a dog bait as well as when he thinks you are going to eat all of his liver!

:dontknow:​

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.