Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 15 month old doberman Veera recently cut his skin around his back knee. The damage was a gash about 2 inches wide and about a 1/4 inch deep. The vet said he had to be sutured up and he went under anesthesia last Sunday (5 days ago) and got stitched up. Things went okay for a while until last night when he licked and removed both the bandage and the suture. The wound had not healed fully.

So we rushed back to the vet and he said he had to suture him up again. So he went under anesthesia once again today (2nd time in 5 days). After the procedure - just when he was coming around - he started shaking and developed convulsions. I think the vet gave him diazeepam and controlled it. I got him home after he woke up - very groggy but awake and responding. He tried walking but it is very uncoordinated and he invariably falls down.

This is a very scary experience for me and I wonder if it safe to anesthize twice in 5 days. Could that have triggered the convulsions ? The vet said it is okay to anesthize (sp?) twice in a matter of 5 days. Is he correct ?

Sorry for the longish post, just seems like too much for him to go through for a gash.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good luck with your pup vivekrj, I hope that he is on the mend. These things certainly can be scary!

Has your vet done a full exam and any bloodwork before or after this episode to look for underlying health issues? I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but this is what I would start with to figure out what is going on with your dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.