Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His name is Luke, and he's at the Gulf Coast Doberman Rescue (or being fostered now, I believe). He's about 1 year old, and is Heartworm + :(. Apparently he spent all of his first year outside away from the family and now all he wants is to put his Dober-snout in your hands and cuddle with you.

JUST LOOK AT THIS FAAACE!!!

I'm really considering giving my septic-tank of a landlord a little piece of my mind and dipping out on his shoddy lease altogether!

So, so tempted..... Can you put a "deposit" down on a rescue?!?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can't put a deposit down on a rescue. You have to go through the application process and they are going to want to talk to your landlord.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know, I know. I was kidding. Just a joke, but very, very tempting. I've been through this gambit before with my Landlord. He originally gave me the "OK" and then rescinded his offer when he checked with his insurance company (or so he says), so I know it's a no-go already. Plus, he vehemently hates dogs admittedly and outwardly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's amazing how many people apply stating their landlords approve and then when I talk to them they don't. I can't imagine it's always the landlord changing their mind, although I have had that happen too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would NEVER bring a dog into someone's house and property that I do not own without getting their permission first. He DID give me the initial "OK," and when I told him I had applied for a rescue from Gulf Coast Doberman Rescue, he told me it was no longer possible. Maybe it was the big-bad "Doberman" word that terrified his weak little knees.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I remember you talking about this before, regarding your landlord's change of heart.

Cute rescue boy. Wish you could find a place that would work and get the adoption process rolling on a dog for you.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER bring a dog into someone's house and property that I do not own without getting their permission first. He DID give me the initial "OK," and when I told him I had applied for a rescue from Gulf Coast Doberman Rescue, he told me it was no longer possible. Maybe it was the big-bad "Doberman" word that terrified his weak little knees.
Why wouldn't you have said Doberman when you first brought up adopting a dog? Whether breed should make a difference or not, in reality it does make a difference.

I wonder how many people leave that part out when getting permission and then the landlord is "surprised" to find out it's a breed that is often banned by insurance companies and they have no choice but to take back their ok.

Are you currently volunteering with a rescue or anything to gain experience while you wait?

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I just melted.

What. A. SWEETHEART!

Ugh. Sorry for your situation. He oozes love.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know. It breaks my wee little heart looking at that face and knowing that if it weren't for my crummy land-lord and rampant breed prejudice that I could do something I want to do so badly.

I guess like with everything in life, it all boils down to timing. But finding places in New Orleans (and beyond, trust me, I'm looking beyond, too), that will allow me a yard and a Doberman to have romp in it are as rare as hen's teeth. And those who have found those places aren't readily giving them up either.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you currently volunteering with a rescue or anything to gain experience while you wait?
Yes, I have volunteered for GCDR before and am on their list to call when they have events, fundraisers and adopt-a-thons. I have fostered 3 Dobermans from rescue groups in Baton Rouge in the past when I lived there-- about a year and a half ago. My last foster, Apollo, found a home in March 2010.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another update-- Kicking myself for looking at GCDR's site again. Apparently Luke was returned due to financial difficulty of his adoptees.

I'm so sad, and so jealous of people with yards and accomodating landlords! Me want! Me want!

·
Registered
255 Posts
We just had this problem. It took us over a month to did a house with a yard that was ok with my big baby. My friend had to get a Id for service dog because she has panic attacks and claims that dog helps her. She had to get letter from dr and Id online but she was able to have her dog in campus housing where they are very strict.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Very cool dog!

love his natural ears............very perky! :)

and he has an awesome 'look' to his eyes, very 'thoughtful' and calm.

Hugz and Hope for Luke!

·
Registered
50 Posts
he is cute

I have to say I am dreading mving due to having to find a new place to let Kahula come, 3 pets and one being a Doberman

current landlord allows all pets, and all of our dogs get along

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know Luke. He's even sweeter than he is cute, if you can believe that. I didn't know he got returned.

You should move :D
Stop it. Not helping... ;) I'd love LOVE to meet him, just 'cause at this point in my life I really-- and I mean really-- need some dober-love, even if it's just temporary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts